Author Topic: The Scorpion Empire: All your Warhawks are belong to us  (Read 99312 times)

Stormy

• Master Sergeant
  • Old is the New New
Re: The Scorpion Empire: All your Warhawks are belong to us
« Reply #360 on: 28 June 2022, 09:44:45 »
Only if it gets renamed the Ristar.  :)

Nerroth

• Captain
« Reply #361 on: 28 June 2022, 23:05:12 »
There was something which I was minded of, in the midst of posting a few Scorpion-related notes over in the CSO feedback thread:

By the onset of the Hanseatic Crusade, there were three Keshiks in the Scorpion touman: Scorpion Keshik, Hellion Keshik, and Seeker Keshik. With a few exceptions, these protect the Khan, saKhan, and Loremaster respectively.

With the emergence of the office of zarKhan in the IlClan Era, would there be a fourth Keshik created to act as their bodyguard? And if so, from which Galaxy? Or would the zarKhan be formally removed from the touman proper, instead serving as a "civilian" leader - and thus require some alternate means of protection?

To look at the Dark Age Era Rasalhague Dominion as a point of comparison: Prince Hjalmer Miraborg (named in Era Report: 3145) resigned from the military in order to pursue a political career; thus, he is not listed anywhere on the Ghost Bear touman in Field Manual: 3145. However, so far as I can tell, FM:3145 does not list a Keshik as being assigned to his protection. Presumably the Dominion has some form of security force set up to protect the Prince, though I'm not sure if this is formally stated anywhere. (Perhaps we'll see such a thing in Dominions Divided.)

Since the zarKhan appears to be at least somewhat akin to the Prince of the Rasalhague Dominion, would the same apply here also?

For that matter, who (if anyone) serves to protect the reKhans governing the various planets of the Empire?
« Last Edit: 28 June 2022, 23:15:59 by Nerroth »

Doc Swift

• Freelance Writer
  • Warrant Officer
  • Buy my new book on Amazon!
    • My Amazon Author page
« Reply #362 on: 29 June 2022, 00:19:36 »
Protection for such civilians would fall under the auspices of whichever portion of the touman is assigned to the world they're on. I don't envision keshiks being formed for any of these persons. (I think I was pushing it to create one for the Seekers.)

CJC070

• Lieutenant
« Reply #363 on: 29 June 2022, 09:19:16 »
Protection for such civilians would fall under the auspices of whichever portion of the touman is assigned to the world they're on. I don't envision keshiks being formed for any of these persons. (I think I was pushing it to create one for the Seekers.)

If the OvKhan is still part of the touman they may have a Star “bodyguard” unit composed of elementals or infantry veterans. 

Doc Swift

• Freelance Writer
  • Warrant Officer
    • My Amazon Author page
« Reply #364 on: 29 June 2022, 11:33:00 »
I am not speaking to what the Sea Foxes might do for their leaders. The Scorpions do not have any ovKhans.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #365 on: 29 June 2022, 15:05:14 »
Are OvKhan title considered to be a honorary title among other Clans or special tasks?  I've seen the title thrown around here and there.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

CJC070

• Lieutenant
« Reply #366 on: 29 June 2022, 15:21:04 »
I am not speaking to what the Sea Foxes might do for their leaders. The Scorpions do not have any ovKhans.

My bad I was thinking of zarKhans the planetary military leaders of the Scorpion Empire.  Are they technically in command of a Cluster or does each planet have greater defences?

Zeruel

• Lieutenant
  • the Angel of Might
    • Z's DeviantArt gallery
« Reply #367 on: 29 June 2022, 15:47:24 »
Are OvKhan title considered to be a honorary title among other Clans or special tasks?  I've seen the title thrown around here and there.
ovKhan is a Sea Fox rank of those that command one of their Aimags, below the saKhan
"I'll give the Bears this... they do not care about "being clan" one bit, and they own it." - cold1

"Question: Under zellbrigen, how does one engage Shadow Divisions?
Answer: With orbital bombardment."

73rd Battle Cluster - The Lash

Doc Swift

• Freelance Writer
  • Warrant Officer
    • My Amazon Author page
« Reply #368 on: 29 June 2022, 16:09:24 »
My bad I was thinking of zarKhans the planetary military leaders of the Scorpion Empire.  Are they technically in command of a Cluster or does each planet have greater defences?

The position you are describing is reKhan, and they are not military positions. They fall outside the military command structure. The position of zarKhan was created later, and follows that same philosophy. They are civilian administrators, as the Clan found it difficult to maintain their military readiness while also dealing with the day-to-day needs of their growing civilian population. The Khan still commands the touman. Think of the zarKhan as the president or prime minister, while the Khan is the highest military commander; they are expected to cooperate to ensure the safety and prosperity of the nation, but the Khan would be the ultimate authority when it comes to military matters. Thus, the zarKhan might request or suggest a particular military action, but the Khan could ignore that in favor of something completely different. This, of course, might lead to friction, which is what one might expect. None of the reKhans or the zarKhan are considered to be in command of any military component of the touman, though of course it's reasonable to predict that the local police paramilitary or even a PGC might be seconded to these individuals for a specified time (such as disaster relief, or if the local Galaxy Commander is called away and thus delegates the oversight to the civilian leadership. Again, making warriors subordinate to a civilian could lead to friction, especially in the short term. As the political structure matures, these growing pains should be accommodated and a smoothly running system results. Or bloody revolts and repressions could return. That's part of the fun of BT.

Flaresnake

• Master Sergeant
  • The Star League is Eternal
« Reply #369 on: 29 June 2022, 23:08:40 »

Don't some clans use Keshiks as command units for all or most Galaxies?
"I'm not a warrior, I'm a soldier. There's a difference. Warriors attack and conquer, they prey on the weak. Soldiers defend and protect the innocent—usually from warriors."-Carth Onasi

Doc Swift

• Freelance Writer
  • Warrant Officer
    • My Amazon Author page
« Reply #370 on: 29 June 2022, 23:10:04 »
Perhaps, but the Scorpions didn't.

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #371 on: 29 June 2022, 23:11:02 »
as i recall, one did, but they only had a handful of galaxies to start with, and they didn't have any more keshiks than normal.

DarkISI

• Praedonum Dominus
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • https://amzn.to/3Dm3bvj
    • My Author Website
« Reply #372 on: 30 June 2022, 06:38:44 »
You might also keep in mind that Emmy Line actually stated in Moving Forward that she would no longer be in command of her Galaxy.
She has abdicated any command position. Now, might she get bodyguards? Possible. But she would not be their commanding officer. Just like the US President is not in charge of the secret service agents who protect them. It might actually be the other way around. They can and will get the President out of a dangerous situation, whether the President likes it or not.
German novelist and part time Battletech writer.

HPG Station - German Battletech News

"if they didn't want to be stomped to death by a psychotic gang of battlemechs, they shouldn't have fallen down" - Liam's Ghost

Zeruel

• Lieutenant
  • the Angel of Might
    • Z's DeviantArt gallery
« Reply #373 on: 30 June 2022, 15:03:16 »
as i recall, one did, but they only had a handful of galaxies to start with, and they didn't have any more keshiks than normal.

that would be Clan Wolf...they have a Keshik for every Galaxy; still do as of FM3145--that's 14 Keshiks in 3145, albeit they are Trinary sized, not Clusters

I don't believe it's ever been stated why they have a Keshik for every Galaxy (maybe in the Wolf Clan Sourcebook?)
« Last Edit: 30 June 2022, 15:14:37 by Zeruel »
"I'll give the Bears this... they do not care about "being clan" one bit, and they own it." - cold1

"Question: Under zellbrigen, how does one engage Shadow Divisions?
Answer: With orbital bombardment."

73rd Battle Cluster - The Lash

Crimson Dynamo

• Lieutenant
  • Opening hearts, minds, and throats since 2807
« Reply #374 on: 01 July 2022, 18:56:05 »

As mentioned, the Wolves have Keshiks leading most/all of their Galaxies, and the Jaguars called the command units of front-line Galaxies Keshiks as well (Jaguar Spirit, Swath, Skyrider, and Dark Prowlers) in addition to the Khans' command units.
"Well, I do, Marcus, and rule number one of the MAC has always been that the man with the plan leads. If we get shot up, I'm the first one to get my ticket punched. There are no flags in the MAC."
"And there never will be," Barton said, nodding his head in agreement.

"You guys are facing a freaking Shadow Division! These guys have strict policies against playing fair!"

"I don’t care. Kill them. I planned the defense so I know it will work. If they claim otherwise, they’re cowards. Any step back is a betrayal of me, and saying they don’t have enough men is just an excuse for incompetence and disloyalty. Tell the Krypteia to do it if you’re too soft but get it done." -Emperor Stefan Ukris Amaris I

Starfury

• Lieutenant
« Reply #375 on: 05 July 2022, 22:31:46 »
So we know what happened to Rudolph Schmidt. Did the rest of his Petraries survive the last battle of the Crusade and join up with the Empire, or was he the only one?

Doc Swift

• Freelance Writer
  • Warrant Officer
    • My Amazon Author page
« Reply #376 on: 05 July 2022, 23:04:41 »
Their fates have not been elucidated.

Nerroth

• Captain
« Reply #377 on: 07 July 2022, 16:38:15 »
As noted over in this thread, there is as yet no unit logo or colour scheme for Eta Galaxy, nor for Seeker Galaxy's new Keshik.

While the question of colour schemes might be under CSO's remit, I was advised that they do not typically go so far as to work up new faction logos.

So, are there any experts here who might have ideas as to what, if any, new logos could be drawn up for either of these two units?

Doc Swift

• Freelance Writer
  • Warrant Officer
    • My Amazon Author page
« Reply #378 on: 07 July 2022, 17:46:51 »
Pretty sure I mentioned somewhere (a RecGuide entry, maybe?) that Eta Galaxy has the Greek letter eta on their 'Mechs. H for Hansa, yo.  ;) Seeker Keshik probably uses the Galaxy insignia.

GuyIncognito

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #379 on: 07 July 2022, 20:52:01 »
Doc Swift: I feel like I might've said before, but I appreciate how willing you are to hang around here and provide further details/trivia on the lovely little faction you've helped flesh out. After the WoR and Jihad books I was skeptical about their long-term prospects, but the Scorpion Empire's really been built up into something fun to watch with relatively few bumps in the road along the way.

Doc Swift

• Freelance Writer
  • Warrant Officer
    • My Amazon Author page
« Reply #380 on: 07 July 2022, 21:01:12 »
Sometimes when we write something, it's sort of like a fire-and-forget missile. With the Empire, I got to write the OTP, a TtS, two SOs, and some RecGuide entries. It's not terribly common to have so many opportunities to write the same faction in such a short time. I'm glad it's been mostly well-received, and I'm happy to answer whatever I can. Hopefully, I get to write more for them, and maybe my participation gets someone who might be on the fence to pull the trigger and check out the new stuff and they can ask their own questions.  :)

So: Thanks! I appreciate it! I love this game and the fans and players. It wasn't that long ago I was on that side of the game as a fan and player. If I can help, I will.

Nerroth

• Captain
« Reply #381 on: 18 July 2022, 14:19:08 »
Apologies for quoting myself from a post in another thread:

Are there any Free Guilds in the Scorpion Empire?

If so, is there a degree of reciprocity between Free Guild and Clan interaction between the Empire and the Inner Sphere and near Periphery?

In other words: do the Free Guilds supporting Clan Sea Fox operations in the Chaine Cluster consider the recently-acquired Scorpion enclave there as "Clan", for the purposes of providing their services? Or, indeed, what of any Seekers passing through the Inner Sphere - do the Free Guilds consider them to be "Clan" also?

And in the other direction, should any Free Guilds exist in the Empire, would they offer reciprocal services to visiting Clan Sea Fox Aimags?

Doc Swift

• Freelance Writer
  • Warrant Officer
    • My Amazon Author page
« Reply #382 on: 18 July 2022, 14:31:06 »
Are there any Free Guilds in the Scorpion Empire?

Until something is published to that effect, no.

Nerroth

• Captain
« Reply #383 on: 18 July 2022, 14:44:17 »
Fair enough.

That still leaves the matter of the Free Guilds in support of the Council of Six Clans: so far as they are concerned, would the Scorpions in the Chaine Cluster (or on long-range Seeker missions in the Inner Sphere or near Periphery) be "Clan" enough for them to treat with?

Doc Swift

• Freelance Writer
  • Warrant Officer
    • My Amazon Author page
« Reply #384 on: 18 July 2022, 15:09:57 »
Same answer, I'm afraid.

Maelwys

• Major
« Reply #385 on: 18 July 2022, 21:09:09 »
Oops. Messed that up. Will try again in the right thread :)
« Last Edit: 18 July 2022, 21:11:56 by Maelwys »

Nerroth

• Captain
« Reply #386 on: 18 July 2022, 23:47:44 »
Actually, here's a thought: might there be an introduction to the Free Guilds in BattleTech Universe?

If so, perhaps a line or two could be added there (and/or in the Scorpion Empire section of that book) addressing this topic, one way or another...

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #387 on: 19 July 2022, 08:44:12 »
Actually, here's a thought: might there be an introduction to the Free Guilds in BattleTech Universe?

If so, perhaps a line or two could be added there (and/or in the Scorpion Empire section of that book) addressing this topic, one way or another...
There mentioned in Empire Alone.  I'm not liking how they went from free society living under the iron heel of Clans to mafia / dark caste of merchants.  One or two being bad doobies, but not entire group.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Weirdo

• Painter of Borth the Magic Puma
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major General
  • We can do it. We have to.
    • Christina Dickinson Writes
« Reply #388 on: 01 August 2022, 14:25:23 »
Anyone know what the platoon sizes for non-foot Hansa infantry are? Would it be easiest to just use Taurian sizes, since they're the only other faction to use 30-trooper foot platoons?
My wife writes books

Sixteen tons means sixteen suits. CT must be repaired.

"Damn you, Weirdo... Damn you for being right!" - Paul

Doc Swift

• Freelance Writer
  • Warrant Officer
    • My Amazon Author page
« Reply #389 on: 01 August 2022, 14:50:44 »
See p. 23, OTP: Hanseatic Crusade.