Author Topic: How were large yield Nuclear Weapons deployed after the Extinction of WarShips?  (Read 2491 times)

FastConcentrate8

• Master Sergeant
So guys, me and the buddies were coming up with a bigtime BattleTech AU including some major custom factions up to and including custom Great Houses and Successor States and we had a big question.

After the technological extinction of the WarShip and before their return and the invention of the Pocket WarShip, how would one deploy a high yield nuclear weapon (IE the ones normally deployed on the heads of Capital Missiles) to maintain a strategic deterrence. We're not planning on deploying them before the Clan Invasion where due to the reasons the Clanners (Except for Wolf and sometimes Bear) kept bidding WarShips and orbital bombarding targets necessitating the usage of tactical and strategic nuclear weapons in defensive actions.

We have three ideas for how to deploy them.
1. Bomb dropped strategic nuclear weapon in the high kiloton/low megaton yield deployed from ASF.
2. Modifed Avenger DropShips designed to serve as Strategic Bombers carried into systems by Scout Class JumpShips jumping into Pirate Points.
3. Missiles erectors loaded onboard DropShips to make a quick touch and go on a planet's remote areas to land, offload the missiles, fire, and then try to get out.

Anyone want to weigh in?

pokefan548

• Captain
  • The Barracuda knows where it is, hence the -2 mod.
    • Poke's Aerospace Academy (Discord Server)
Each of the strategic warheads, the Sant Ana, Peacemaker, and I think AMW have rules for vehicular launchers. Also can be launched from DropShip-mounted capital missile bays.

There's also always just the classic option of sneaking a warhead into the back of a delivery truck, driving it downtown, and hitting a trigger.
Poke's Aerospace Academy
The best place to learn and discuss AeroTech.

"Poke is just a figment of our imagination really." - Siam
"Poke isn't a real person, he's just an algorithm programmed by CGL to try and get people to try the aerospace rules." - Phantasm
"I want to plant the meat eating trees and the meat growing trees on the same planet! Watch that plant on plant violence!" - Sawtooth
Leviathans: The Great War Backer #224
BattleTech: Mercenaries Backer #23

AlphaMirage

• Major
Kick em out a cargo bay probably particularly the AMW. That said Alamos are still fairly good as deterrents

Frabby

• Major
Umm… I think after WarShips were gone, they disn't actually deploy nukes anymore (and hadn’t been doing it for some time). Until Gibson and then the Jihad, that is.
Sarna.net BattleTechWiki Admin
Author of the BattleCorps stories Feather vs. Mountain, Rise and Shine, Proprietary, Trial of Faith & scenario Twins

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
I thought the "boomers" were DropShips, not WarShips?  ???

dgorsman

• Captain
I thought the "boomers" were DropShips, not WarShips?  ???

Yup.  Converted cargo carriers.
Think about it.  It's what we do.
- The Society

Thunder LRMs: the gift that keeps on giving.  They're the glitter of the BattleTech universe.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
So really no change to deployment method after WarShips are gone...  8)

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Miss Chitty finds your honor rules quaint.
Even assuming the lowest possible tech level, the actual warhead of an asset management weapon only comes in at about six tons (roughly two tons per megaton, plus a few spare kilos), which is pretty well in the range for air dropped ordnance from an aerofighter.

It would be a big bomb, no doubt, but probably doable on a medium airframe.

But then, a five hundred kiloton (peacemaker) warhead would only weigh one ton, and even that would be overkill for almost anything you'd want to use it on, short of an assured kill weapon against any WarShip you could expect to meet. Even in strategic warfare, megaton yield warheads aren't considered all that valuable compared to larger numbers of smaller warheads.

Anything smaller than that should easily slot in as an air dropped bomb.
Good news is the lab boys say the symptoms of asbestos poisoning show an immediate latency of 44.6 years. So if you're thirty or over you're laughing. Worst case scenario you miss out on a few rounds of canasta, plus you've forwarded the cause of science by three centuries. I punch those numbers into my calculator, it makes a happy face.

(indirect accessory to the) Slayer of Monitors!