Author Topic: MOT* - Orion IIC  (Read 5744 times)

Greatclub

• Captain
MOT* - Orion IIC
« on: 01 November 2022, 23:23:17 »
I just looked at the sheets for the Orion IIC, and was forcibly reminded how close and far it is to greatness at the same time.

The Orion IIC is a clan Wolf totem mech, they’ve apparently tolerated only one non-Wolf to ever own one. It starts out a lot like the Inner sphere introtech Orion – 75 tons, 300 standard engine, basically max armor with a slight bias towards the back on the side torsos. 12 DHS isn’t really enough, again very Orion.

Start with the arm lasers, clan ERLL. Superb guns... that blow the entire heat budget by themselves. The big ballistic in the right torso is a gauss with two tons ammo. That’s normal; low, but enough if you’re a bit frugal. A torso SRM 4 has too much ammo at 25, and the LRM 20 (in the arm, which can escape notice) has 3 tons.

The basic firing patterns are obvious. Gauss + 2 ERLL (+1 & movement); followed by Gauss, 1 ERLL, LRM20 (-5 & movement); repeat. Alternating the two is heat neutral at a run. Using the LRMs whenever the lasers don’t have better to-hits is also an option.

When you get in SRM range go gauss, ERLL, LRMs and SRMs. It works, but you’re paying for the largely spare 2nd ERLL you can’t use, and are going to run out of gauss ammo far sooner than the LRM ammo you’re likely to use less of.

It’s a heavy mech with heavy mech durability and clan firepower. You pay BV like it’s a Clan heavy, but it isn’t entirely unreasonable. I just wish I could stop glaring at that third ton of LRM ammo and wishing it was for the gauss or a heatsink.

The one non-Wolf we know of to drive one was Burton Marik-Steiner-Davion, son of Victor and Isis. Why he wasn’t buried under ristar’s I don’t know, but he’s seen driving it as a ROTS paladin fighting the CapCon, so maybe it was just far enough away.

It is significantly customized. He proves that the Marik side of his heritage bred true by putting in an XL engine, although it's at least a clan one. Armor goes up the last pip with ferro, there is a laser AMS you don’t really have the heat budget for, an active probe for reasons, and it jumps.

Yes, it’s a jumping Orion. I’ll wait here for you to stop blue-screening.

Ready?

The ER LL are the same. An ATM 3 is a shiny new toy with two tons of ammo. Good luck getting rid of forty shots; I’d take ER for the good to-hits and HE to cover under the minimum of the next weapon, a HAG 20. 12 rounds of ammo for that is a lot lower than I want it to be. Last on the list is a Streak LRM 15. A S15 is in a weird spot where one ton of ammo might not be enough, but the two provided is excessive.

There are fifteen heat sinks, which combined with two items causing sudden heat spikes (Laser AMS, streaks) forces a choice of firing patterns that often leave heat budget unused or blown.

First pattern; 2 ERLL, ATMs, HAG. Builds movement heat.

Second pattern, same as the first but risking slowing down if the AMS or streaks work. Don’t use both while doing this, it sometimes doesn’t end well.

Third pattern; 2 ERLL, ATM, Streak; pattern for when the numbers don’t justify the HAG, which usually means a cooldown turn. -4/+1 and movement, depending on if the streaks lock.

Fourth pattern; 1 ERLL, ATM, HAG, streaks, laser AMS. Heat neutral at a run if everything activates, -5 or -10 if they don’t.

There are obviously other patterns you can use depending on the situation, but it takes a lot of judgment calls to get the most out of this mech; planning on whether to leave the AMS active even has to happen the turn before. I wouldn’t use a Burton in a bigger fight for that reason, and I’m again looking at a ton of LRM ammo and wishing it was for the ballistic weapon, or maybe a heatsink.

Despite any issues these two mechs have, they still pull their weight.

You know what, I’ll just keep going with the clan Orions

The Orion C is described in TRO 3150. We don’t have a record sheet. This is a shame, because it sounds supurb. A lot of this writeup will be assumptions, but here goes. 

It’s based on the ON2-M, which was a civil war era upgrade that brought Marik Orions back to their brickish roots after the 3050s flirtation with XL engines. The 2-M has 224 dots of armor, leaving a little off the arms. The C might do the same, but we know it's ferro-lam. This means that it is at least equivalent to 280, as much armor as an upper range assault mech, or over 400 pips if attacked by Arctic Wolves and Javelins. 

The longest range weapon is a clan gauss rifle. It’s safe to assume that there are two tons of ammo. The second gun is a Streak LRM 15.  Two tons of ammo is a safe bet, although there might be one.

Up close is where most of the heat budget is spent. Three ER Medium Pulse Lasers generate 18 heat for 21 damage, maximum range 14. They’re an unhappy medium between the clan ER medium and the clan pulse, but with some finesse they can beat either.

All told, this comes to 74 tons, leaving one to be used elsewhere. It might go to putting CASE II in the torsos, or a third ton of gauss ammo so you can pretend it is an energy weapon, or an eleventh DHS. Given that the mech would otherwise slow with heat on a walking alpha, the last might be the best use; we ultimately don’t know what the designers decided.

Boatloads of armor, no XL, and competitive amounts of weaponry sounds like a winner, even if we don’t know if the heat situation is under control. If the assumptions made are correct, it clocks in at about the same BV as an Orion IIC. That isn’t a match-up I’d shy away from.

Edit - a writer has issued confirmations about some of the above guesses.

Now we move to the even newer Orion C 2, from Rec Guide 19. I’ll start by directing you to Scotty’s review.

I can’t disagree with any of that. It’s a toolbox that doesn’t fit together neatly. It’s hard to go wrong with max standard armor and a pair of clan large lasers (one pulse, one ER). The C 2 tries very hard to spoil that base. If you want to stay in your heat budget the ELRM aren’t really worth using inside the range of the LPL. Outside that is really awkward to use in a standard 2 mapsheet game of battletech.

Of the shorter range weapons, a Streak 4 is reasonable to use irregularly. It’s a fair amount of damage, a single lock-on won’t give you penalties, and the big lasers while walking will slowly dump heat. The ER Medium laser in the right arm is probably better to think of as a spare in case of losing the pulse in the left. If you need a mad minute you can fire all four no-minimum weapons and not risk a shutdown.

In universe I can’t help but wonder if they were designed to soften up superheavies with ELRM from a safe distance. In game, my recommendation would be treat it like a sniper, but with a baby artillery piece on the shoulder for indirect or extreme-range shots.

It is not a horrible investment at 2K BV. If there wasn’t a scenario need for ELRM I’d probably stick with a Thunderbolt C; for 350 BV cheaper you’ll probably get about as much work done.
« Last Edit: 22 May 2023, 16:19:31 by Greatclub »

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
Re: MOT* - Orion IIC
« Reply #1 on: 02 November 2022, 09:13:04 »
The one non-Wolf we know of to drive one was Burton Marik-Steiner-Davion, son of Victor and Isis. Why he wasn’t buried under ristar’s I don’t know, but he’s seen driving it as a ROTS paladin fighting the CapCon, so maybe it was just far enough away.

Fact checking . . . but it got the Republic at least 2 and it was enough to get it listed to them on the MUL.

The only time I know we ever saw one in fiction was a Jihad story where a ristar was assigned one and then his cluster went with the Werewolf to rescue what they could from Outreach.  He survived the mission and afaik that is the last we hear of him or the mech.

The Orion IIC is a solid mech and I have used it to beat Night Gyrs . . . I think it would definitely eat a Summoner in a Trial- the Hunted would not pick canyons or heavy forest after all.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • Need a hand?
« Reply #2 on: 03 November 2022, 22:37:16 »
Since when is two tons of Gauss ammo 'light?"
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Greatclub

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: 03 November 2022, 23:28:32 »
One on one it isn't. Even in bigger battles it might not be. But when you get to star on two lances, where the Orion IIC is quite likely to be one of the last machines standing, it can feel slender.

Three shots left. Do I fire on a 9, or wait on an 8?

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • Need a hand?
« Reply #4 on: 03 November 2022, 23:53:26 »
I mean, it's the standard amount.  Off the top of my head I can't think of a single Clan mech and only four Inner Sphere mechs that carry more (Gunslinger 2.5 tons per GR, Pillager 3 tons per GR, War Dog 5 tons, and Nightstar 3.5 tons per GR).

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

wantec

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
« Reply #5 on: 07 November 2022, 17:56:14 »
Clan Wolf's Delta Galaxy was gifted to the Republic, which is all but guaranteed where the RAF's Orion IICs come from. The RAF typically left absorbed units as-is, more slowly integrating them into one. And while they might now fight under the Republic flag, those were still Clan warriors when they received their Orion IICs. I don't see most warriors being all that energized to travel to try & reclaim an Orion IIC. Now if they faced it in combat or were otherwise present with one, absolutely I can see an ambition warrior issuing a Trial of Possession.
BEN ROME YOU MAGNIFICENT BASTARD, I READ YOUR BOOK!

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #6 on: 07 November 2022, 21:42:27 »
The Wolves never let one out of their possession.  We got a line about how Phelan was not building any more as a diplomatic gesture to Vlad.

While Delta Galaxy survivors might have been gifted, those mechs would not have been sent with the galaxy.
Colt Ward

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

JadeHellbringer

• Easily Bribed Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #7 on: 07 November 2022, 23:21:40 »
Since when is two tons of Gauss ammo 'light?"

Particularly for the Clan combat it's designed for, 16 shots is more than enough for most engagements.

The SRM is noted in the article for too much ammo as well, but it's 25 shots... at one ton. The only way to reduce that is to go with a one-shot launcher, and kudos to the Wolves for not being THAT dumb.

All in all I've honestly never been impressed with the Orion IIC- the original model, that is, I've never had any dealings with the later version and so I'll reserve judgement. The original though... it just has too much heat to really work, not a problem I've ever really associated with an Orion. (I play Marik as my preferred IS faction, I know my Orions!). Ironically, the fix to the problem, for me, is to drop the Gauss rifle (not something I can say often) in favor of an LB-10X. The lower weight allows for more heat sinks, which is huge, and gives more crit-seeking potential. One can also use the weight, rather than adding heat sinks, to dump out the ER larges for large pulses, which drop the heat a little while keeping the same punch and reasonably-similar range. Either is a big fix to what otherwise is a Mech that tries too hard to do too much.

That said, the IIC is not a fun Mech to put down. It's tough, it's able to lose a side torso without really losing combat capability (when you're undersinked, losing weapons means just switching to different weapons and continuing the fight, right?)... I've faced one down in a zell duel and lost using a Warhawk, which wasn't fun. (Granted, it was a B-config, so not exactly the top of the line version, but still, I had ten tons on the Wolf bastard)

All in all, just not a Mech I'm a big fan of. I know the whole thing is that the Wolves are all protective of the design, but I feel like if my Falcon forces salvaged one, I wouldn't waste much effort on it other than as a middle finger at the Wolves- it's not a Mech I'd be jumping up and down to add to my formation for its stats, anyway.
"There's a difference between the soldier and his fight,
But the warrior knows the true meaning of his life."
+Larry and his Flask, 'Blood Drunk'+

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • Need a hand?
« Reply #8 on: 07 November 2022, 23:49:55 »
Yeah, I've been in an Orion IIC in one game and it's just so awkward to try to use due to the heat issues.  Very durable but playing the mech is like having dental work done on you.

Jellico

• Spatium Magister
  • Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • BattleMechs are the lords of the battlefield
« Reply #9 on: 08 November 2022, 02:38:44 »
When there are Guillotine IICs and Grizzlies available it feels a bit unnecessary. Awkward was a very good choice of words.

Greatclub

• Captain
« Reply #10 on: 08 November 2022, 02:56:05 »
The SRM is noted in the article for too much ammo as well, but it's 25 shots... at one ton. The only way to reduce that is to go with a one-shot launcher, and kudos to the Wolves for not being THAT dumb.

Tandem Charge SRMs. get it down to 12, which is reasonable for a range 9 secondary weapon.

Maybe I overstated things, but the mech feels true to the introtech orion; four guns, heat budget for 3.  It's just more painful when the odd gun out is a clan er large instead of an introtech medium.
« Last Edit: 08 November 2022, 03:00:30 by Greatclub »

Scotty

• Alpha Strike Guru by appointment to the FWLM
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
« Reply #11 on: 08 November 2022, 03:02:51 »
Tandem Charge SRMs should not exist.

The standard model I think is better than the initial description as far as heat goes.  +3/-3 is perfectly fine as a pattern at range, and you can mix it up as necessary with terrain and hit numbers permitting with going up to +6 without too much penalty.  Up close the LRM and SRM replace one ER Large entirely and are heat neutral, or you can mix things up as various different weapons enter and exit ideal ranges - 6/7/8 are going to be pretty busy with weapons dropping in and out.

It could certainly be better - off the top of my head I'd probably want to swap for an ER Large Pulse (really any six ton gun works here, but the ER Large Pulse has excellent brackets to pair with a Gauss) and a Medium Pulse instead of two ER Larges.
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Kansas City players, or people who are just passing through the area, come join us at the Geekery just off Shawnee Mission Parkway for BattleTech!  Current days are Tuesdays in the afternoon and evening.  I can't make every single week, but odds are pretty good that somebody will be there.

Greatclub

• Captain
« Reply #12 on: 08 November 2022, 03:05:24 »
Tandem Charge SRMs should not exist.

Not going to disagree with you.

Maybe the ROTS got theirs from salvage that fell during SCOUR and other actions against the WOB? Rather undiplomatic not to give them back, but..
« Last Edit: 08 November 2022, 03:19:54 by Greatclub »

wantec

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
« Reply #13 on: 08 November 2022, 13:43:11 »
The Wolves never let one out of their possession.  We got a line about how Phelan was not building any more as a diplomatic gesture to Vlad.

While Delta Galaxy survivors might have been gifted, those mechs would not have been sent with the galaxy.
I would interpret Phelan's plans differently. There was no existing Orion IIC production facility in the Exile's hands, so this would have meant starting up a factory to build it. On the other hand, the Exiles did have some Orion IICs in their forces, but they did not hand those over to Vlad's forces. Likewise, when Delta Galaxy was gifted to the Republic, the Orion IIC was no longer the lone second-line status symbol of Clan Wolf. The Blood Reaper foremost, but also the Tundra Wolf, had become very popular second-line designs. These were highly sought, often fought over in Trials of Possession, and given to the best warriors (who didn't already have an Omni).
BEN ROME YOU MAGNIFICENT BASTARD, I READ YOUR BOOK!

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #14 on: 08 November 2022, 14:53:30 »
I would interpret Phelan's plans differently. There was no existing Orion IIC production facility in the Exile's hands, so this would have meant starting up a factory to build it. On the other hand, the Exiles did have some Orion IICs in their forces, but they did not hand those over to Vlad's forces. Likewise, when Delta Galaxy was gifted to the Republic, the Orion IIC was no longer the lone second-line status symbol of Clan Wolf. The Blood Reaper foremost, but also the Tundra Wolf, had become very popular second-line designs. These were highly sought, often fought over in Trials of Possession, and given to the best warriors (who didn't already have an Omni).

Vlad never had control over the Orion IICs that went with Phelan . . . he never had a choice.  And for THAT mech they could be hand built like the Crusader Wolves were doing with Timber Wolves before Hammerfall.  Neither of those mechs- Blood Reaper or Tundra Wolf- were specifically given to ristars, nor sent with a message 'compliments of the Khan' . . . IMO the Blood Reaper/Tundra Wolf were fought over because it was one of those two, slapped together old Clan builds, or Inner Sphere salvage.  Also consider the only other native heavy built by the Wolves was the Glass Spider 2, which was back in the Home Worlds.  The Blood Reaper and Tundra Wolf are both superior designs to the GS2 for all the pulse spam IMO.
Colt Ward

grimlock1

• Captain
« Reply #15 on: 09 November 2022, 09:46:48 »
Granted it all comes from retcons to create new designs to move more product, but I get a bit of a giggle that the Orion IIC, a mech inspired by the Great Father's preferred ride, is built in the vein of a bog-standard Orion, rather than what Kerensky actually used.
I'm rarely right... Except when I am.  ---  Idle question.  What is the BV2 of dread?
Apollo's Law- if it needs Clan tech to make it useable, It doesn't deserve those resources in the first place.
Sure it isn't the most practical 'mech ever designed, but it's a hundred ton axe-murderer. If loving that is wrong I don't wanna be right.

kindalas

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #16 on: 09 November 2022, 10:04:11 »
Well if he didn't just dump the mech out with the space trash then maybe the Clans would know what Kerensky actually used.

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Fight for something or Die for nothing
    • The Steel-Raven at DeviantArt
« Reply #17 on: 09 November 2022, 13:56:49 »
Well if he didn't just dump the mech out with the space trash then maybe the Clans would know what Kerensky actually used.
That was Kerensky's decision. Remember his original goal was to escape the coming war and find somewhere his soldiers could live in peace. Everything the Clans do is ultimately the opposite of Kerensky inspite worshipping the man. It's the ultimate example of how history and ideas can be twisted.
Battletech Art and Commissions
http://steel-raven.deviantart.com

grimlock1

• Captain
« Reply #18 on: 09 November 2022, 14:54:48 »
That was Kerensky's decision. Remember his original goal was to escape the coming war and find somewhere his soldiers could live in peace. Everything the Clans do is ultimately the opposite of Kerensky inspite worshipping the man. It's the ultimate example of how history and ideas can be twisted.
I have this image of Kerensky and the Emperor of Mankind having a drink in what ever establishment hosts Star Trek's "Captain's Table." 
K: ...and they completely missed the point!
EoM:  I hear ya.  At least you're just a deeply venerated historical figure.  My people have literally built churches to me.  After I glassed a city because they built a church to me!  How many times do I have to say, "I'm not a god," before it sinks in?
K:  Golden armor.  Flaming sword. Glowing halo. You do dress the part.  Maybe business casual around the office.   Oh, and another thing.  My people outlawed contractions.  What the hell?
I'm rarely right... Except when I am.  ---  Idle question.  What is the BV2 of dread?
Apollo's Law- if it needs Clan tech to make it useable, It doesn't deserve those resources in the first place.
Sure it isn't the most practical 'mech ever designed, but it's a hundred ton axe-murderer. If loving that is wrong I don't wanna be right.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • Need a hand?
« Reply #19 on: 09 November 2022, 19:02:50 »
It didn't remotely help Kerensky that his kid who survived and took charge of things was completely unhinged.

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #20 on: 09 November 2022, 20:27:15 »
It didn't remotely help Kerensky that his kid who survived and took charge of things was completely unhinged.

It didn't help that everyone supported Nicky trippy vision until 'oops!... anyway..." then started celebrating his visage *sign*

Anyway, back to the mech:

I really wish we seen more of the Orion IIC but it was made during that weird time of the Clans and quickly overshadowed by other machines. The potential is there but we are more likely to see more retrofitted OG Orions... which is how the Orion IIC got started so... full circle?

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #21 on: 09 November 2022, 20:53:37 »
We did not get a Orion EC . . . it would have been interesting.  BUT with what else the Wolves had from standard production . . . the Redback and Excalibur get interesting.
Colt Ward

gyedid

• Captain
  • Always brighter on the other side of the mirror.
« Reply #22 on: 09 November 2022, 21:55:32 »
Yeah, I've been in an Orion IIC in one game and it's just so awkward to try to use due to the heat issues.  Very durable but playing the mech is like having dental work done on you.

The Orion IIC is something I think that shows both the excellence and limitations of Clan tech.  I see it as basically trying to shoehorn a 3050 Atlas onto a 75-ton chassis.  Yes the lighter Clan weapons let you do that, but there isn't enough weight left for the heat sinks needed to use that weapon load efficiently.

cheers,

Gabe
So, now I'm imagining people boxing up Overlords for loading as cargo.  "Nope, totally not a DropShip.  Everyone knows you can't fit a DropShip in a WarShip!  It's...a ten thousand ton box of marshmallows!  Yeah.  For the Heavy Guards big annual smores party."
--Arkansas Warrior, on the possibility of carrying Dropships as cargo in Warship cargo bays.

TERRAN SUPREMACY DEFENSE FORCE.  For when you want to send the SLDF, but couldn't afford the whole kit and kaboodle.

Scotty

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
« Reply #23 on: 09 November 2022, 22:23:35 »
It has significantly better heat efficiency than the actual 3050 Atlas so maybe not the best analogy.
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Kansas City players, or people who are just passing through the area, come join us at the Geekery just off Shawnee Mission Parkway for BattleTech!  Current days are Tuesdays in the afternoon and evening.  I can't make every single week, but odds are pretty good that somebody will be there.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • Need a hand?
« Reply #24 on: 09 November 2022, 22:44:40 »
Eh, it has 4 points better than an AS7-K.  That's better, but not significantly so.

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #25 on: 09 November 2022, 23:05:52 »

You can fire 1 ER Large Laser, 1 Gauss Rifle, 1 LRM 20 and 1 SRM 4... yeah, really pulling teeth fighting with 1 ER LL tied behind you back.

Yes, the Orion IIC could be better. The only reason I wanted to see more of it was to see a better version of the mech but speaking as someone who actually had teeth pulled this passed this year, I wouldn't call using this mech painful just because you can't Alpha. Besides, this was the same era the Supernova came to be after all. Clanners seemed to be more about firepower than common sense at this time... or ever...

Greatclub

• Captain
« Reply #26 on: 10 November 2022, 03:43:32 »
You know what, I’ll just keep going with the clan Orions

The Orion C is described in TRO 3150. We don’t have a record sheet. This is a shame, because it sounds supurb. A lot of this writeup will be assumptions, but here goes. 

It’s based on the ON2-M, which was a civil war era upgrade that brought Marik Orions back to their brickish roots after the 3050s flirtation with XL engines. The 2-M has 224 dots of armor, leaving a little off the arms. The C might do the same, but in ferro-lam. This means that it is at least equivalent to 280, as much armor as an upper range assault mech, or over 400 pips if attacked by Arctic Wolves and Javelins. 

The longest range weapon is a clan gauss rifle. It’s safe to assume that there are two tons of ammo. The second gun is a Streak LRM 15.  Two tons of ammo is a safe bet, although there might be one.

Up close is where most of the heat budget is spent. Three ER Medium Pulse Lasers generate 18 heat for 21 damage, maximum range 14. They’re an unhappy medium between the clan ER medium and the clan pulse, but with some finesse they can beat either.

All told, this comes to 74 tons, leaving one to be used elsewhere. It might go to putting CASE II in the torsos, or a third ton of gauss ammo so you can pretend it is an energy weapon, or an eleventh DHS. Given that the mech would otherwise slow with heat on a walking alpha, the last might be the best use; we ultimately don’t know what the designers decided.

Boatloads of armor, no XL, and competitive amounts of weaponry sounds like a winner, even if we don’t know if the heat situation is under control. If the assumptions made are correct, it clocks in at about the same BV as an Orion IIC. That isn’t a match-up I’d shy away from.

Now we move to the even newer Orion C 2, from Rec Guide 19. I’ll start by directing you to Scotty’s review.

I can’t disagree with any of that. It’s a toolbox that doesn’t fit together neatly. It’s hard to go wrong with max standard armor and a pair of clan large lasers (one pulse, one ER). The C 2 tries very hard to spoil that base. If you want to stay in your heat budget the ELRM aren’t really worth using inside the range of the LPL. Outside that is really awkward to use in a standard 2 mapsheet game of battletech.

Of the shorter range weapons, a Streak 4 is reasonable to use irregularly. It’s a fair amount of damage, a single lock-on won’t give you penalties, and the big lasers while walking will slowly dump heat. The ER Medium laser in the right arm is probably better to think of as a spare in case of losing the pulse in the left. If you need a mad minute you can fire all four no-minimum weapons and not risk a shutdown.

In universe I can’t help but wonder if they were designed to soften up superheavies with ELRM from a safe distance. In game, my recommendation would be treat it like a laser sniper, but with a baby artillery piece on the shoulder for indirect or extreme-range shots.

It is not a horrible investment at 2K BV. If there wasn’t a scenario need for ELRM I’d probably stick with a Thunderbolt C; for 350 BV cheaper you’ll probably get about as much work done.
« Last Edit: 10 November 2022, 14:42:52 by Greatclub »

Jellico

• Spatium Magister
  • Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • BattleMechs are the lords of the battlefield
« Reply #27 on: 10 November 2022, 07:05:44 »
The Orion C is described in TRO 3150. We don’t have a record sheet.
Yes.
It’s based on the ON2-M,
Yes.
The 2-M has 224 dots of armor, leaving a little off the arms. The C might do the same, but in ferro-lam.
Yes.
The longest range weapon is a clan gauss rifle. It’s safe to assume that there are two tons of ammo. The second gun is a Streak LRM 15.  Two tons of ammo is a safe bet,
Yes.
It might go to putting CASE II in the torsos, 
Yes

This is a fairly easy to guess Mech because is is a straight ON2-M with weapon swaps. Theoretically it should even be on the same IS Endo-Steel chassis with the same crit placement. There is a little wriggle room as the Ferro Lamellor has two less crits than the Ferro Fibrous.

It is funny to think this was designed in a pre ilClan time when we were desperately looking to find any way possible to squeeze Clantech onto any Wolf Empire Mechs before the invasion of Terra and the renaissance of the RecGuides.

Scotty

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
« Reply #28 on: 10 November 2022, 16:00:37 »
Eh, it has 4 points better than an AS7-K.  That's better, but not significantly so.

It is significantly better; the Orion IIC can fire both ER Larges while moving and not suffer penalties.  4 points can be the difference between mediocre and excellent.   Here it's the difference between "pretty bad" and "good enough" which is a pretty large gap.
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • Need a hand?
« Reply #29 on: 10 November 2022, 16:42:50 »
You can fire 1 ER Large Laser, 1 Gauss Rifle, 1 LRM 20 and 1 SRM 4... yeah, really pulling teeth fighting with 1 ER LL tied behind you back.

Yes it is.  Because you're either stuck running oversinked and firing the ammo-using weapons or you're using both lasers and going way into heat buildup because there's not a great choice on bracket firing.

Register