Author Topic: Hidden Hope (Golden Lion AU, Part 4)  (Read 24761 times)

AlphaMirage

• Major
Re: Hidden Hope (Golden Lion AU, Part 4)
« Reply #150 on: 19 July 2023, 08:00:45 »
Comstar being as slimy as ever, they probably intend to let the Clans wreck Commonwealth maximally, so they can then sweep in and reduce the industrial powerhouse of the Inner Sphere into vassal state.

Or they literally were caught by surprise from alien invaders with advanced technology attacking on the total other side of the Inner Sphere from Columbus.

12/08/3051
A screen shows Precentor-Advocate Casimir Bridges walked behind a phalanx of Mu bodyguards and PST (Tharkad City Police Department) as reporters across the Commonwealth assailed him in Tharkad City. His limousine sandwiched between Polizei vehicles, and a pair of white Chevalier tanks marked with ‘COMGUARDS’ along the flanks in blue with the Upward Sword of Light logo (of the COMGUARDS) on the glacis.

“Precentor Bridges, did you know that the Clans were coming!?”
“Can you give us a statement about what COMSTAR is going to do to help the Commonwealth?”
“Are you working with them?”
“The public demand answers!”

The screen turns black at the command of Ranking Precentor Sigma Tulla Samaras and the windows open to the unsettled Atlantic Ocean off Hilton Head Island. “Do we have answers Primus Waterly?”

Primus Myndo Waterly paused to scan the room, the Ranking Precentors from COMSTARs ‘civilian’ branches waited for her. “Nothing that will satisfy them.”

“Then give me something, anything Primus. The whole Inner Sphere is crying out for information.

The Order’s public relations are my priority. If we leave the people of the Inner Sphere in the dark on these important matters, they shall distrust us and that could lead to our ruin. Our reputation cannot take another battering like it did after the Capellan Civil War.

Archon Steiner has quietly and possibly indirectly instituted a smear campaign against the Order. We need to get ahead of her, or the damage will not just be limited to our egos.

We need to do something big and public to show that we are truly providing support to the Lyran Commonwealth. 
Let me tell them about the Precentor Martial’s preparations.
Give me access to Precentor Commodore Beresick at least!”

“You will provide no comment on our military preparations Precentor Samaras. Focus on humanitarian support instead.”

“That won’t move the needle, Primus. The Lyran Commonwealth has a vast jumpship fleet of their own and wealth enough to rivals ours and purchase supplies. What they don’t have are Warships or the ability gathered over generations to arm and sustain millions of soldiers.

With what the Precentor Martial is planning it will come out eventually. Let me at least control the release of this information, if we don’t do it then others shall, and we look foolish.”

Myndo once more to a moment to think and walked over to the window, “You all have similar concerns I gather.”
The other ten Precentors assembled nodded or otherwise signaled that they did. Primus Waterly rested her head on the window glass, “I presume you already have plans as well. Let me hear them then and maybe we can begin implementing them.”

----

12/12/3051 | Boulder, Hot Springs, Clan Occupation Zone
The city of Boulder was filled with streets and people that seemed to be carved out of the basalt itself. Bridges gracefully spanned canals bustling with boats and greenbelt filled with wildflowers bursting with color. Two figures in goldenrod outfits marked with Nova Cat or Merchant and ilClan (Red Daggerstar) logo walked each of them in turn knocking on every door they came across.

One of them a lithe woman paused to sit on the stone wall, remove her sandals, and dip her feet into the canal. She rolled up the bottom of her shirt like the other women seemed to do within this city and began to feel some relief. “Why do they have so much space between residential units? My feet and this heat are killing me.”

Patrolman Kech loomed over her drawing attention to himself even within a city filled with impressive specimens. More importantly he wore Aketon soft armor with its integral cooling, hydration, and medical system in addition to mounts for his pistol, magazines, and radio. “You had the option to bring a cooling vest with you Indigo.”
“It was going to be too heavy for walking around in all day in. Not all of us grew up in one. I need to get a dress like these local women have, they look comfortable even in this tropical heat and humidity.”
“I received my first Aketon in Sibko. Should I requisition an umbrella to provide shade?”
“No, I can manage.” She drank for a canteen on her belt, “You have worn armor and grown a hundred and fifty centimeters since Sibko.”
“I am only two point two meters tall. Small even by Nova Fox breeding ranges. There are numerous other Freeborns just within this city that are larger than me and pose a potential threat to our safety.”

“Or opportunity Kech.”
“Perhaps you think of them that way.”
A group of men passed them by carrying heavy tools he presumed were used for shipbuilding, “I was trained to see everything as a threat until proven otherwise. Are you ready to continue?”

She splashed some canal water onto the cloth wrapped around her head, “What is the rush? We just started this Census.”

“Mobility is paramount to our security. The threat of hostile action has not yet been negated.”
“Fine. I guess there will be more time to enjoy the view later.”
Indigo donned her sandals then stood up; her head barely reached to his upper torso. With her free hand she massaged the back of her neck, “Working with you since yesterday has given me a crick in my neck.”

“I can suggest exercises to strengthen those muscles, improve your posture and walking performance.”
“Maybe we talk about that later big guy.”

They crossed the bridge, Indigo consulted her chart and knocked on the door, a middle-aged man answered, “Good Afternoon, I am Junior Merchant Indigo, and this is Patrolman Kech of Clan Nova Fox. We are conducting a Census in this area.
Are you Doctor Solomon Goddard presently employed by the Institute for Advanced Studies in Physical Therapy?”
“I am.”

Indigo checked a box on the sheet and flipped it to show an information card on his household, “Can you confirm this information?”

Doctor Goddard hesitated, “Why? Are you going to use it to calculate my taxes and rent too?”

Indigo sighed, “Why do they keep talking about taxes and rent Kech?”
“I do not know Indigo.”
“We really should suggest a large announcement and mailing campaign.”
“It would dramatically improve our door-to-door efficiency.”

“What are you two talking about? This is why governments do Census right?”

“The Clans do not charge taxes or rent. Your profession suggests you will be assigned a position within the Scientist cache whenever we get around to proficiency testing and caste integration.

Thus, you will be allotted a space, probably the one you currently reside in, to serve as your primary residence area and appropriate utilities to maintain it and the members of your household.”

“So, no taxes or rent?”

“Aff," She pushed the clipboard closer to him with a pen in the other hand, “please confirm this information so that we may continue.”

PsihoKekec

• Captain
  • Your spleen, give it to me!
« Reply #151 on: 19 July 2023, 10:31:48 »
Or they literally were caught by surprise from alien invaders with advanced technology attacking on the total other side of the Inner Sphere from Columbus.

And their response was policy of informational blackout that greatly benefited the invaders.

Shoot first, laugh later.

AlphaMirage

• Major
« Reply #152 on: 19 July 2023, 13:43:59 »
And their response was policy of informational blackout that greatly benefited the invaders.

It was that or being forcibly co-opted by them to the advantage of the invaders. It has only been a little more than two weeks since Phelen and Diana got back into Inner Sphere controlled space at this point.

alex blood spirit

• Sergeant
« Reply #153 on: 21 July 2023, 21:07:09 »
what is the status of clan Blood Spirit in this timeline

AlphaMirage

• Major
« Reply #154 on: 21 July 2023, 21:09:11 »
what is the status of clan Blood Spirit in this timeline

5th Clan Annihilated or Absorbed, in the 28th Century

AlphaMirage

• Major
« Reply #155 on: 01 August 2023, 07:24:42 »
12/22/3051
Wind blew up loose debris around sleek Beacon dropships and bulbous Mules resting on the ferrocrete. A late spring rain threatened Odessa III’s primary star-port situated upon open arable plains beyond New Bealton. Dozens of stormy blue-gray painted tanks drove off ramps positioned at the open cargo doors of their freighters. ‘COMGUARDS’ was painted in matte white on the track skirt with the upraised Sword of Light, symbol of the formation, upon the glacis. Drivers waited at the staging point in pristine white helmets and gray tanker’s uniforms ready for a parade. There was to be no parade this day however instead wheeled tank transporters waited for the machines to be loaded upon their backs then driven to the unusually well-equipped planetary militia’s training grounds.

Three white helmeted and gloved officers viewed the assembly by binoculars maintaining order and controlling traffic via a large radio set upon a metal folding table. “Road train Six-Eight-One is approaching from the south, Drivers One through Ten go to assembly point Orange.”
“Roger that Commander. Moving to assembly point Orange for loading.”

Two individuals in white robes approached them from behind, one of them stood behind a woman with an unloaded carbine slung behind her back. “Carol, the last time I saw you with a gun is when we were fleeing the Baron’s men on Timehri.”
She turned to look at and embrace her brother, “Jared, last time I saw you was six years ago, before you left for Terra.”
“It is probably better that way sister.”
Jared brought attention to the Rho insignia on his robes. “When did they start taking teachers into the COMGuards?”
“When we started volunteering.
COMSTAR is unlimited, its strength lies in encouraging the faithful to reach their full potential.”

He looked at the insignia on her jumpsuit and ‘Summers,’ their last name, stenciled upon it, “Tank Commander?”
“I was the only one that could fix and ride grandpa’s tractor.
Back when we had a family farm,
and a family.”
They looked down and aside, “That was a long time ago.”
“I know. Apparently, operating a tracked vehicle is like riding a bike. I passed the test, so they gave me a tank to command.”

“What brings you here brother?”
“Secret project, although my superiors allowed me a day of liberty to see my sister. I had expected to see you teaching the Neophytes however.”
“I suppose I still am. They assigned me to training new drivers for now until we have gathered enough forces, or the Clans arrive above Odessa.”

Jared gave a mischievous smile, “I do hope they come, we have a surprise in store for them.”

Gorgon

• Lieutenant
  • The little duchy that could
« Reply #156 on: 01 August 2023, 07:38:45 »
Oh I bet they have...

Good to see the story continue! How much does the rest of the sphere know about the situation in the Commonwealth? It would be an utter shame if some neighbours were to take advantage of the confusion...
Jude Melancon lives!

PsihoKekec

• Captain
« Reply #157 on: 01 August 2023, 13:08:52 »
They do know that worlds on their border are falling and thus Commonwealth is being invaded. As for details, I reckon Comstar is letting them in dark, just like they let the Lyrans.

AlphaMirage

• Major
« Reply #158 on: 03 August 2023, 13:38:23 »
Chapter 12 – A House of Stone
12/23/3051

Archon Melissa Steiner strode through her Palace beneath leering gargoyles and centuries old artistic masterpieces. Her journey took her across the loggia overlooking her Throne Room, now vacant of its guardian Griffins and sharpshooters that could take down any interloper within its vast emptiness, halting at an ornate oak door fronted by a parlor within which stood a pair of Diplomatic Guards. They saluted as she approached, “Duchess Steiner is waiting for you, Your Majesty.”

She walked through the door to smell the herbal aroma of fresh tea filling an office seeped in grandeur. Melissa removed the strainer and set it aside before turning to see the older and still glamorous woman neatly tucked into the leather chair. “You took that mint from the gardens didn’t you.”

The woman gracefully returned her cup to the gilded saucer, “I wanted it to be fresh Archon.”
Melissa matched her ‘Aunt’s’ posture, both had gone to the same finishing school in Tesseraburg and it was a shared learning. “I appreciate the extra effort Anette, and your gifts for Arthur and Katherine.”
“Just a few things I picked up with Walter on our trip to Rewland.”

A sheaf of papers was shuffled across the desk, COMGUARDs force depositions from Odessa, detailed manifests from Isesaki Shipping, strings of Capellan Confederation based front companies, intimate details from the Outworlds Free Trader Corporation and military suppliers from every corner of the Inner Sphere.  All showing how the Blessed Order had accumulated armies of combat vehicles and battlemechs for the ‘security of the Inner Sphere’ without anyone noticing. “but how did you get these? What sources do you have that I do not?”

Anette smiled ruefully, “Do you want to compare numbers Archon?
I was banished from Tharkad by Katrina for a reason. While I may not be capable of everything I once was, I was quite capable once.”
“So, you are calling in favors?”
“For services rendered and secrets kept.
Anything that can help get me back to Somerset and my sons.”

“I understand this is difficult for you Anette. I would be as troubled if our places were switched, and it were my family behind enemy lines. We will of course do everything we can to stop the Clans, but we need a win first and time for our forces to prepare a counterattack.

My hope is that COMSTAR evacuating their people and information about the planets off-world while disabling the HPGs will slow the Clans down. Otherwise, they have blinded us.

We only have Phelen’s reports and Steel Viper defectors to go on now.”

“There will be others I am sure of it.”
“I appreciate your optimism.”
“Do not lose hope that things will improve Melissa. At least we have something to focus on now.
We just need to stem the tide and turn it against itself.”
“I fear that there may be a crack in our seawall.”

There was an unconscious hitch in her otherwise smooth movement, “Roman?”
“I’m afraid so. Someone needs to speak to him, and I think it needs to be you. He won’t listen to me.”
 “What makes you think he will listen to me? We haven’t spoken since…”
“Because Sarah didn’t get off Chateau when the Steel Vipers attacked and only a few people know.”

AlphaMirage

• Major
« Reply #159 on: 03 August 2023, 23:56:24 »
12/27/3051
Commanding General Roman Steiner exited the concrete bunker and into another dour room filled with grim faced soldiers. His shaggy brown hair was streaked with gray, uniform with sweat, and he had forgotten when he last had time to take a shower.  Lian, his staff office stood at attention looking his way with discomfort. “Speak Hauptmann.”
“Duchess Steiner is waiting on the ramparts for you General.”

Roman replaced his shirt with the one from his desk, “Which one?”
“Anette.”

The brass buttons on his white uniform shirt shined under the light but omitted the tie, running his hand back to tie his hair in a queue, bearing a grimace. “What does she want?” He growled.
“To speak with you on the ramparts.”
“Why not here?”

“I didn’t ask. She just left to walk on the ramparts after telling me this.”
“By herself.”
“She is a member of the Estates General.”
“That doesn’t mean she can do what she wants on my mountain.”

Lian shifted under his gaze, “It is not my place to tell her that General.”
“Very well,”
Roman donned the dark blue peacoat from the closet, “then I shall.”

Cool night winds blew from the Bremen Sea toward Mount Wotan Military Reservation, Tharkad and Olympia, the Lyran Commonwealth’s twin capital cities glittered in the distance. Beneath these ramparts was an extensive array of fortifications and bunkers capable of withstanding anything short of a persistent saturation attack by hostile Warships, a threat only capable in theory…until now.

Anette’s brown hair came unbound from beneath her hat with a strong gust. A voice attached to boot steps approached her, “It is a long hike down. I hope you brought your furs, Duchess.”
She wrapped the ermine trimmed shawl about her, “I always do when I go to the mountains, General.”
Roman stood at the battlements beside her, “Why did the Archon send you. of all people to speak with me?”
“Shock value. You know Melissa, always being so dramatic.
It wasn’t my choice.”

“How long has it been cousin?”
“Thirty six years. A lifetime ago.”

“Two lifetimes ago, If I could take it back I would.”

She took a deep breath, the memory of her mother’s suicide and her own time at 'The Institute' on Gallery equally unpleasant. “None of us can though. As much as my uncle thought it would hurt your career, he was gravely wrong. Although perhaps not completely. I know about Sarah, but have you told Joan and your granddaughters yet?”

He rubbed his hands together to warm them, “No. Phelen escaped, there are probably still resistance units laying low on the occupied worlds.”

“Phelen Kell has the misfortune of being part of a particularly reckless group of mercenaries. You’d have to launch a mission from the FRR to get her back and the Elected Prince would never allow that.”

“He could be convinced…”
Roman clenched his fist on the railing but Anette put her hands over his.
“It’s not going to happen.”

“You sound very confident. Don’t you want to do the same for your sons.”

She moved one of her hands to cover her heart, “Of course I do but they’d only just charge right back into the enemy if I did. Sarah and Leo would do the same.”

Roman breathed deep and clouds bellowed forth from his nostrils, “What would you have me do then?”

“Your job.”

“But I cannot even protect my own daughter.”
She sensed the profound shame in his voice and a tear.

“They knew what they were getting into when they enlisted. You don’t need to protect them. You just need to think of a way to stop the Clans and get them back.”

“I don’t know that I can.”

Anette caressed the pillar holding up the sloped ceiling, “I had to take a sculpture class in art school. I didn’t want to, it sounded like a lot of hard dusty work, and I had more interesting things to do. Parties to attend, scandals to cause.”

“If this is going to be a very rambling speech save it. We have a war to fight, I need a shower, and rest.”

“While that is certainly true, we both know that neither of those things are going to happen tonight unless you listen to me.

So, the instructor had a very interesting background, he was an architect as well as a sculpture. He reminds me of the duality of our House. Steiner, someone that works with stone.

The same stone that builds fortresses or walls can be turned into a work of art. Mount Wotan for instance, fortress and wildlife preserve, always prominent never intrusive. The Triad, surrounded by mighty walls and heights while being filled with awe-inspiring masterpieces.

We Steiner are not easily turned. Melissa has made you the architect of the modern LCAF Roman, now you must sculpt it to task. Take away everything else until you have only what you need.  We believe you can do it, and I think you need to as well.

You just need to think differently, less hammer, more chisel.
Until then Melissa and the Estates General will see that the walls of our House are well buttressed against this storm.”

PsihoKekec

• Captain
« Reply #160 on: 04 August 2023, 00:32:48 »
With Comstar blinding them, how much do they know of Clan tactics and capabilities?

AlphaMirage

• Major
« Reply #161 on: 04 August 2023, 08:22:08 »
With Comstar blinding them, how much do they know of Clan tactics and capabilities?

What Diana knew and the Kell Hounds found out. However, some things remain unknown (like the SXR project) and these Clans are not as hidebound and wilier than their OTL counterparts.

01/08/3052
Rewland sprawled out beside the equatorial Glotte Sea, it was a small city in population and height, no one wanted to ruin the ocean view or share their space. Rewland College of Fine Arts, the Commonwealth’s premier institution for such things, was indistinguishable from the other carefully landscaped mansions nestled within the hills.

Within her late mother’s house, one of the smaller ones near the college, Anette Steiner leaned into a man with graying hair but firm resolve on his face. They looked out at the cruise ship sparkling for the city pier. One of many that along with the city heliport ferried passengers throughout the New Bismark Archipelago carrying Tharkad’s elite to their own private islands and workers to the oil rigs anchored to its seafloor feeding the planetary industries insatiable hunger for more material.

“I am very tired Walter.”
“Of anything in particular?”
“Waiting, the Clans haven’t moved since taking Tamar.
Every day more ‘Noble Rulers’ take refuge in the capital instead of standing their ground.

Even Rewland is getting crowded, I’m sure that ship will be filled with overflow, every hotel room on world is occupied by people that escaped the invasion zone with their treasures intact.

Everyone will talk about how brave the LCAF is while refusing to pay their taxes and moving their wealth out of the Commonwealth before the Kroner tanks.

It sickens me.

How can we resist the invaders when everyone that can afford the ticket abandons their world at the first sign of trouble? Have we really fallen so far?”

“I know. This is difficult for me too. If I were a younger man, I’d be the first one to volunteer on a mission to find our boys.

I unfortunately can’t help you motivate the nobles to stand by the Commonwealth’s values and not just their own value.”

“I just don’t know what to do. The Estates General has become draining, everyone just shifts blame to cover their ass instead of solving problems.”

He clasped her hands in his, “Get some rest, and just keep trying. That’s the best you can do for yourself right now.”
She buried her head into his shoulder as he stroked her hair, “Do you think they are ok?”
“I think we taught them well. They’re smart boys they will figure something out.”

12/08/3051
The Fury dropship landed at Somerset Military Academy’s starport. A storm was approaching from the West as dozens of Spheroid POWs shuffled down the steep ramp to the sound of stun sticks and medusa whips. “Move faster! We will take off before this storm arrives.”
They were greeted by a bus whose Academy Seal hastily repainted to Clan Star Adder’s insignia. One of them shouted at the assembled Patrol officers that took custody of them from their Mongoose captors. “What did you do to my brother!”

“Shut up worm!”
Shouted their gracious ‘host’ that had stuck them in the cramped platoon compartments that smelled of sweat and despair. “You are their problem now.” He shoved the clipboard back at the attending officer a woman by uniform, but he couldn’t see her face behind the helmet. “Watch out for that one, he is nothing but trouble.”

“Thank you for the warning, Patrol Commander. Prisoner Three-One-Zero. The Commandant wishes to see you alone.”

She looked toward the Mongoose Patrol who split off to supervise the loading of supplies from the Starport onto their dropship. “With no cameras.”

Two men hauled him away into a Patrol car and drove away as the Fury launched back toward space and its next prisoner transfer. They sat in quiet as the officer drove toward the Academy and beyond.
“Where are you taking me?”
“Somewhere with no cameras.”
“If you just intend to shoot me, get it over with.”

“That would be too easy for you Kapiten Andrew Steiner.”
“So, you know me?’
“Of course, I do,”
Rachel removed her helmet and shook her hair loose at the stop light, “I’m actually insulted you don’t remember me. Has it really been that long?”
“Lieutenant Spector?”

“Just Rachel is fine.”
The guard beside him undid his handcuffs.
“What happened to Adam?”
“He’s still in charge. It’s complicated, but he has a plan. One he’ll be happy to explain when we get there.”

PsihoKekec

• Captain
« Reply #162 on: 04 August 2023, 11:17:04 »
Clanners don't even know they have trouble and they already have it in stereo.

AlphaMirage

• Major
« Reply #163 on: 05 August 2023, 11:57:53 »
Chapter 13 – Brothers in Arms
12/08/3051

Andrew, Rachel, and a pair of Academy cadets pulled into the garage attached to COMSTAR’s Somerport Grange. He stepped out to stare at the aerials shifting in the wind, each blinking red in ordered periods. He looked over to Rachel who gestured for the cadets to remain near their car, “What happened to COMSTAR?”
“They evacuated after detecting the Clans.”

She opened the door to enter the darkened lobby where Constables and Public Works employees carried printouts or pushed equipment on dollies to replace what was removed. “Kowloon’s COMSTAR personnel didn’t get a chance to bail. Mongoose forces had already blockaded the planet by the time they made planetfall.”

“I don’t know how they had some advance warning here, but they had their Beacons loaded up and immediately ready to move so the preparations had already occurred. According to our Merchant overseer COMSTAR withdrawing from our planets has slowed them down.

Hard to route logistics without an HPG network. Since COMSTAR scrambled their central databases, it has been difficult to begin utilizing civilians. It has taken us a month to get Somerset functional again.

Our Clan masters have been slow to provide additional starlift but they have given us trucks and some light military equipment to guard the ‘prisoners.’”
“They gave Adam military equipment?”
“Almost everything he asked for.”

Constables saluted him as they recognized him with mutters of ‘thank goodness you are alive.' He stood taller than before, “What a bunch of idiots. What happened to the Militia?”
“What militia? We never had a militia on Somerset as far as INTELSTAR is concerned.”

They chuckled as they walked through the corridors, “I thought Star Adder was supposed to be the smart Clan.”
“I don’t seem to be a high bar.
Why don’t you change and relax a bit? Adam will come and get you in an hour.”

Andrew found his way to the Grange’s open dormitory, row upon row of empty beds with full lockers. He stopped at the Prior’s door and entered to see a seabag marked ‘Steiner, Andrew’ on it. A tear came to his eye channeling down the mensur scars he had gotten at Sanglamore. “You never gave up hope did you little brother?” 

He showered away the filth accumulated during his transit from Kowloon on that Fury and cleaned himself up in other ways. Being back in his own clothes with his lozenges attached even on his normal clothes made him whole in a way that he hadn’t felt before. Someone had snuck in a plate of cold cuts while he was in the shower, he consumed them and was woken from his nap by a knock on the door and familiar voice.

Adam embraced his brother as he opened the door, “I’m so glad you’re back.”
“Glad to be back, little brother.

You’ve been busy,”
Andrew looked at his brother in his Star Adder uniform, “Star Commander.”

“You haven’t seen the half of it yet. I have a plan and now that you’re back it might even work.”
“Is this like that time with the sorority?”

His brother looked out of the now rain streaked windows toward the Academy as they walked through the grange, “Better.”
“If you say so. I have some stuff to share with you as well.”

Rachel and the others had gathered in one of COMSTAR’s workrooms now refitted with what was lost. From here they could ‘sense’ and access the planetary telecommunication network as well as the few satellites which had been boosted back into orbit by shuttlecraft after COMSTAR sought to deorbit them. A basketball sized holoprojection of Somerset’s present state appeared in mid-air from the holoprojector built into the ceiling.
“Let’s go over the plan with the Kapiten.”

A large cylindrical vessel replaced the planetary orb as Rachel passed out briefings, “This is a Volga class factory ship. The Clan Council has been using these to extend their supply lines from the Chainelaine Islands. They basically live off the production from these vessels which fill the cargo bays of smaller Carrack transports or dropships. It saves valuable travel time because otherwise the Potemkins would need to jump between here and the Chainelaines for resupply.

Based on Adam and I’s interviews with Somerset Merchant Factor Rhonda and Midnight Star’s Captain Topi they are operated mostly by the Merchant Caste and poorly defended. Insurrections on and COMSTAR’s abandonment of occupied worlds have forced more personnel forward than were initially anticipated. Due to this complication these vessels have begun circulating throughout the Occupation Zone and one of their stops has been Somerset.

Commandant Steiner has requested mostly small arms from INTER-LOGI on purpose, automatic shotguns, laser rifles, and personal armor. They have also provided us with more shuttles in lieu of the Beacon vessels that left with COMSTAR. The Clans see these as less valuable than heavier weapons, so they have given them to us without question.”

The projection was replaced by a wireframe view that showed the internal layout of the ship, “These however are the right kinds of weapons to overpower the Warriors stationed aboard these vessels.”

Andrew took one of the briefing notes in hand, “You want to take over a Clan Warship. Do you have any idea what they might do to Somerset in response?”

Adam put his hand on his brother’s shoulder, “Of course we know Andrew. That is why we haven’t done it yet.

That is the end goal, they only have a dozen of these things and one missing will cause all kinds of disruption, while giving us clan tech manufacturing. Our intermediate goal is to get someone out to tell Tharkad what we have found out about the Clan’s plans. While stealing a Volga will likely result in repercussions the odds are much lower if say an Explorer or Scout might got missing.”

Lieutenant Spector changed the projection to a tiny Explorer jumpship, “This is the SLS Cato, it is an unarmed Scientist operated craft, tasked with courier duty and navigation aids within the local region, and very regular in its route.

It is the perfect target as it can escape notice and the occupation zone. However, we need someone with experience leading and training small independent teams unconnected from Somerset’s loyal ‘Abtaka.’

Someone like you Andrew, or should I say Prisoner Three-One-Zero.”

He took in a deep breath, “Have you identified a team?”

His brother passed him a folder. “We have identified individuals with the right skills that might make a good team, but they need a strong leader. Someone not known to be associated with 'collaborators,’ maybe even someone with a grudge against the Adder Commandant.”

Rachel downloaded the specifics and handed him a discreet comm-pad. “We must make it look like you were a rogue actor, and we did what we could to stop you if we are to maintain control of the planet.

If they knew we were plotting against them they would send an occupation force. Right now, Somerset doesn’t even register on INTELSTAR’s awareness for anything other than as a dumping ground for incorrigible POWs.”

Andrew paged through the folder and the individuals dossiers, “I can do it.”
“I had no doubt big brother. It was more of a question of will than capacity.”
“At least I know Somerset is in good hands when I leave.”

The holoprojector went dark and the lights returned to full power, “What did you want to share with us from your time in captivity Andrew?”

“Apparently my scars and willingness to *uhum*, ‘buck’ authority were attractive to Mongoose Star Captain Greta Cage.”
The faces of those assembled were a mixture of horror, compassion, and interest. “I’ve had worse times at shore leave on Kooken’s Pleasure Pit, but anyway they got used to me hanging around officer country.

There I overhead that Clan Mongoose and Nova Fox are executing the flanking action, ten Galaxies have been tasked with taking the Commonwealth’s Outer Worlds.”

They counted how many soldiers that would be, roughly 50,000 including all support personnel spread across more than a hundred worlds. Adam was fastest, “That is not enough men to go all the way to Buena.”

“Exactly, they intend to take as many worlds and cause as much fear as possible to overload the Core with refugees some of whom might be Nova Fox Watch agents, but those forces are brittle. They can’t hold that much territory and they know it but expect us to be fearful and remain in defensive positions around the core worlds like Alarion and Coventry. These are going to be crushed afterwards after their saboteurs and One Star Faith propagandists do their work.”

“Adam almost beat them here on Somerset. The element of surprise has been ruined. Roman can probably come up with a winning strategy given time and this information.”

“Yes, and apparently the Kell Hounds have been fielding equipment that is almost on par with the Clan’s own. For being so certain on the battlefield they are scared and recklessly pushing as quickly as possible to deny us parity in tech and numbers.

Their Warships can only do so much, and they are apparently afraid of COMSTAR, something about Outbound Light and Columbus.”

“One would think the opposite considering COMSTAR’s latest behavior.”
“Like you said the Blessed Order has done its damage and slowed their timetable. Maybe the Primus made an unintentionally wise choice withdrawing her people.”
“The only problem with her decision is that we can’t broadcast an HPG outside the occupation bubble. Your team will have to slip to the Free Rasalhague Republic instead.”

Andrew fast read the dossier, then memorized the photos and prisoner numbers of his potential team, “It’s only three jumps. I’ve got this.”

He then unclipped his lozenges and handed them to Adam, “So who’s beating me up before dropping me off at the penal colony?”

AlphaMirage

• Major
« Reply #164 on: 05 August 2023, 23:10:45 »
Chapter 14 – Catoblepas
12/09/3051

Andrew Steiner rose from his stiff cot, an upgrade from the pit and perhaps equal to Greta’s bed, from the pain of a bruised torso and arms. He walked to the vacant bathroom his hut shared with its neighbors in the pre-dawn light and looked into the mirror to wash his face before donning a new orange uniform. There was a wicked shiner under his right eye, he whispered to himself, “I appreciate you helping me sell this Adam.
However, I will get you back someday.”

He lingered there for a moment until more prisoners arrived, one of them stopped. A wiry wild looking fellow stood beside him and started brushing his teeth. His bright smile contrasting sharply with his dark skin “They did a number on you new guy.”
“Kapiten Andrew Steiner.”
“Like the Archon?”
“A distant relation.”
“Is that why they gave you the full body treatment?”
“No, the Commandant has a particular hatred for me.”
“What’d you do to him?”
“I’m his older brother. He got upset when he couldn’t get me to follow The Clan Way. Our mother would be so disappointed to see what he’s become.”
“He’s really drunk all that Clan venom then.”

Another pain came to his ribs, “Sure, feels that way. Who are you?”
“Jeremi Ankur, Jumpship Navigator.”
“Where’d they pick you up?”
“Baker Three, bad time to be on shore leave. They transferred me here with the first group to help set up the workshops.”

A trumpet blared across the prison camp its tinny report echoing off rolls of concertina wire and the woods that had slowed wind across the former farmland. There was nothing beyond the perimeter for kilometers around except roving patrols. All prisoners were herded neatly in the square as the Commandant marched around with his guards ensuring none were missing. He still had the gall to look down at them while wearing his LCAF officer’s helmet with its iridescent plume and horsehair for decoration in addition to his Star Adder Warrior’s uniform.

“Men, I trust you have all had a pleasant sleep.” He paused to stare at his brother with venom, causing discord with Jeremi and the others standing beside him, “Somerset is after all now known for its…hospitality.” The Commandant returned to his perch, “Your work details for the day have been delivered to the foremen.
The weather should be pleasant today.
Not that it would matter.”

Adam and Rachel drove off and the guards started gathering their workers. Andrew sighed as he was marched off toward the mess.

The mess obviously was under close surveillance and as a new arrival that meant Andrew was under even more. He sat beside a young woman with her blonde hair shoved into a bun who skillfully peeled a basket of potatoes and put the result in a bucket. “You’re slow new guy. You get that scar from the clans?”
Unconsciously his hand touched his face, “Sanglamore. Sorry about the speed but it’s been a while since I’ve had to serve on KP.”
“Dueling scar huh. It’s kinda handsome.”
“It’s done its work in the past. Kapiten Andrew Steiner, and you are?”
“Alexandra Sutton but you can call me Allie. Everyone else does.”
She dumped the skins into a large container marked ‘pig feed.’ “Jeremi told me that you are the Commandant’s big brother.”
“Yeah, little bro has turned into a bit of tyrant in my absence.”
“It’s still better than when the Hell’s Horses overran Alyina.”
“What do you do?”
“Aero Tech, which is why they don’t let me work in the shop. They’re afraid of what I might do.”
“Are you any good at cooking?”

Allie punched one of his many bruises eliciting a pained groan and wrench of his arm. She leapt up upsetting the produce baskets and scattering their contents on the tiled floor, “Watch yourself! I’ve gotta sit here all day with you. Apologize! or I’ll take my chances in the cooler!”

Their guard rounded the corner at the shouting, “Everything alright here?” He patted the baton on his hip while staring at them.

Andrew looked between the two of them nervously. He put his hands out in calming fashion, “Sorry Allie. There’s no trouble officer.”

He didn’t seem convinced until Allie righted the baskets and began returning the contents to them. “Keep it down you two.” His hand went to his ear, “Everything is fine, just a civil disruption with the new guy.”

A moment passed, “I know we were warned about him.”
The guard pulled his chair from the corner to stare at them, “I’m keeping an eye on him.”

His day passed without further incident, Curfew was called, dorms were locked from outside, guards patrolled the grounds with dogs and less-than-lethal but still excruciating weapons. Jeremi snuck over to him whisper quiet. “You just had to ask her if she could cook, didn’t you?”
Somehow the pain from earlier returned in force with a grimace, “I learned my lesson.”
“Yeah, I bet you did. There are beatings a plenty here, no need to risk another one Kapiten.”

PsihoKekec

• Captain
« Reply #165 on: 06 August 2023, 02:45:55 »
Assembling the team for the daring escape. I presume the main goal of stealing the science vessel is to pass all of the intelligence gathered on Clans to Tharkad and get them too coordinate with Adam's big move, when the time comes. Also to notify mother that they are both alive and well.

Gorgon

• Lieutenant
« Reply #166 on: 06 August 2023, 03:44:10 »
Those Volgas are really tempting targets. Limiting the Clans ability to resupply and providing mobile Clan grade production facilities to the Lyrans? That will force a reaction. I hope ComStar's fleet is ready and willing to help.
Jude Melancon lives!

AlphaMirage

• Major
« Reply #167 on: 06 August 2023, 10:09:37 »
12/13/3051
Forklifts loaded pallets of missiles and black boxes with codes printed on them transferring them to the beds of 4x4 light and 6x6 medium GP trucks and toward Somerport’s Starport. Prisoners gathered around tables assembling circuit boards under the careful supervision of INTER-LOGI Technicians and more knowledgeable peers. Others circulated around picking up, inspecting, and placing the work into a transport container.

Andrew Steiner dabbed his soldering iron onto the printed board. A lean man with a neat queue stood over him before inspecting his pick-up work. “Three-One-Zero, you’ve gotten a lot better in the past few days.”
“Learned it during my tech classes at Sanglamore. Been out of practice since becoming a POW.”
“Keep up the good work. Everyone must pull their load. If we miss our quotas, we miss a meal.”
“Which is a pity, the food here is better than on Kowloon.”
“Yeah, the Commandant is a peacocking bastard, but Somerset’s produce beats ship food.”
“Greater truths have not been spoken. Kapiten Andrew Steiner, former MechWarrior.”
“Lieutenant Florentin De Luca, former ‘Merc’ Pilot. Nova Fox picked me up when we tried to ‘acquire some cargo’ from what we thought was a Hansa vessel.”

Andrew nodded, “I understand, did they?”
“No, but I spent a few weeks locked in a dark, empty EU with my mates until they finished their voyage. You ever seen a Clan Aerospace Pilot?”
“No. Why?”
“They’re weird, like Belter or Jarnfolk weird, long fingers and limbs, big eyes that can see in the dark supposedly, superhuman reflexes. I’ve never seen anything like it, and I’ve seen some weird stuff out there.”

“What is it that we’re making here Florentin?”
“Communications and Computer equipment. INTER-LOGI has also set up an optical cable foundry at an old glassworks.
In the other building they are making three flavors of something called the Advanced Tactical Missile.
I hear there are two others, but we don’t make them here, something about them being to volatile.”

“What are they using all this gear for?”
“COMSTAR bailed all over the occupation zone, took their toys with them and sent whole planets into darkness. Someone’s gotta replace it, the Commandant convinced them it could be us.
Now get back to work Kapiten, I want a warm dinner tonight.”

12/17/3051
Raindrops exploded as they landed in the many puddles within the cleared rail easement. All around them was the empty forest around the farming village of Haskell. Dozens of pickaxes, hammers, and mattocks fell in intervals so regular one would think they were guided by a metronome. Each impact cleared brush or hammered home the spikes that would stabilize the rail against the concrete rail ties.

Andrew Steiner wiped his forehead, the large man beside him shouted out, “That’s not gonna stop the rain mate.”
“It makes me feel better.”

A whip snapped behind them causing both men to peer backward to its wielder safe and dry in his rain poncho. “If you’ve got breath to speak! You’ve got breath to work! Get back to it.”

They had changed to dry clothes before boarding the bus to return to the prison camp before curfew. Warm meals were substituted for cold sandwiches and a large ration of Kvass, a slightly sour low alcohol drink made from stale bread, instead.

Guards walked down the alley. It was dark and many of the prisoners had already nodded off exhausted from their labors. The large man from earlier whispered to Andrew from behind, “How’d you end up with hard labor?”
“Got in a few fights and my work wasn’t up to par in the shops. How’d you get here?”
“Same, sailors on shore leave you know?”
“I’m aware, name’s Andrew Steiner.”
“Like the Commandant?”
“Didn’t expect to fight a Civil War with my little brother over our home world.”
“Tough break, I’m Oscar Rastan.”
“Where were you stationed?”
“Barcelona, with the Seventeenth Rangers. Jump Infantry.”
“Heard you guys gave the Hell’s Horses a good fight.”
“We certainly tried, but they were everywhere. We didn’t stand a chance against Armored Elementals.”
“Even unarmored Elementals seem formidable.”
“Their Patrol doesn’t even use clubs; fists hit like sledgehammers, plenty enough to kill a man.
Then, whatever soft suit they wear is impenetrable to any weapon short of an assault rifle and enables them to fight all day.
I thought I was tough but there is just no comparison between a normal man and one of them.”
“It’s going to be a difficult fight for the LCAF.”
The guard passed them and chatted with the driver on the other side of the chain-link partition, “but some of us have been coming up with a plan.”

AlphaMirage

• Major
« Reply #168 on: 09 August 2023, 08:23:05 »
12/22/3051
Windows rattled as a chill wind blew through the hastily erected huts of Somerset’s ‘prisoners.’ Andrew and the others fell into their beds tucking themselves as best they could into the thin comfort of their issued wool blankets. Something crumbled in his pillowcase as the guards shut off the lights.

He pulled the note out sluggishly.
'Someone important is on the Cato. We are ready if you are. Launch within two days.'
Andrew swallowed the edible paper and laid back down. This was to be the last rest for a while, so he enjoyed it.

12/23/3051
Ambulances howled into Somerport’s medical center, EMTs and Prison Guards burst out of the doors as eight prisoners were wheeled into the emergency room. Attending doctors and nurses rushed to the aid of the vomiting or near comatose patients. A cacophony of voices filled Andrew Steiner’s mind even as his stomach emptied, “This is the worst case of food poisoning I’ve ever seen.”
“Get them IVs right away.”
“Run cultures to make sure it isn’t something else.”
“Put them in quarantine just in case.”

12/24/3051
Andrew snapped awake within the darkened quarantine rooms followed by the others. He turned toward the young woman across from him, “That was some prison escape Jacqueline.”
“Making my own Ipecac was not something to be taken lightly.”
“Well, you are the only person I’d trust to try.”
“Are you sure you made it correctly?”
Oscar paused as he rose and slipped his legs over the bed.
“It got us here didn’t it.” Allie answered. “Now what’s the plan?”
“Break out of the hospital, head to the starport, steal a shuttle, then take the Cato as agreed.”

Another man replied, “Kapiten, are you certain your contacts are trustworthy.”
“Edgar, I am trusting them with and have known them all my life, so yes. We’ll swing by the abandoned Grange and upload your code. They will blame the lightning for the communication mishap rather than admit to sabotage.”

The conspirators gathered in the middle of the room whispering to one another, “How do we get out of here?”
“Oscar and I will get the door for you.”

Although heavy the door to the quarantine block was not immovable. Both men strained to keep it open long enough for Allie to reach the other side to disable the lock and alarm. To their relief the nurse was vacant and there were no guards present. The incessant beeping of tell-tales and whir of medical equipment disguised their efforts. “Good thing you are a small woman.”

“It helps get me into tight spaces which is very important on a ship. Even though it makes me look boyish.”
She looked down at her prison uniform, “We have to ditch these clothes.”
“There is a locker room nearby.”

“How do you know Kapiten?”
“I was Academy Commandant before my brother. I spent some time here, chasing nurses.”

Jacqueline expressed her disapproval with a huff and jab to his back. “I thought you’d take that as a compliment.”
“Get on with it.”
“Yes, ma’am”

The Medical Center was eerily abandoned at night, cleaning robots mopped floors, transported linens, and disinfected procedure rooms. Jacqueline, Edgar, and Jeremi donned scrubs and a demeanor matching the night shift medics everyone else found street clothes in the lockers although Allie was forced to don men’s clothing for lack of a proper fitting disguise. They split up in the parking garage to find cars matching the keys they lifted from the locker room.

Both VW sedans rolled out to the rain-streaked and abandoned pavement of Somerport. Clan Patrol and Somerset Constable vehicles crisscrossed the town enforcing curfew. However, since their cars were registered to night shift hospital workers they passed without issue.

They pulled over around the block from COMSTAR’s former grange as lightning struck nearby. The grange was now covered in graffiti, abandoned, and dark. Andrew paused before to ensure it was clear of anything other than vandalized cars and fences.

“My contacts have left our disguises and kit within the dorms here. You all know your roles; we meet back here in fifteen.”

Fifteen minutes later Andrew and the others returned, both arms laden with duffels. Twenty minutes later took shelter under an overpass before changed into Merchant, Technician, and Laborer uniforms complete with codex IDs. Three Clan Pulse Laser rifles registered full charges as did two laser pistols, three stunsticks, and eight Buster E(ntry/ngagement)-Tools.

There were also two sets of false number plates for their cars. Allie changed them over with the blur of a whirring screwgun. She sat beside Andrew in the backseat of one of the cars, “How did they know we would be taking two cars? And my size?”
“Hard to fit eight people in one vehicle. Don’t you think?
Also, your size is registered for your prison uniform.”

She smoothed her damp hair, then looked down at her tan Technician’s coveralls with their three red sides on the upper arm pentagon, “I guess that makes sense.”

Andrew’s team approached the West Gate of Somerset Space Port, two Patrol Officers approached them while three more maintained their positions with hands on the Gauss SMGs visible on the outside of their foul weather ponchos. Oscar rolled down the window for them, “Name and Codex ID.”
“Oscar, Senior Laborer Two, Alpha Eight Five Bravo Mike. Heading to Hanger Echo-Niner.”
“What are you doing here this late? It is quarter past Oh Three Hundred.”
“This Starport is an all-day all-weather operation, quiaff?
“Aff,”
The Patrol Officer looked at the number plate, his Commpad, then signaled to his companions who opened the gate, “move along.”

Hanger Echo-Nine was dark but open revealing the Ares Landing Craft within with its ramp down. The cargo hold was already filled with crates including one marked ‘Weingarten Specialty Liquor,’ alongside more common cargos such as liquified gases and spares parts. A large refrigerated container marked ‘frozen seafood, keep cold' dominated the other crates which were netted together on pallets locked into the floorboards.
Jacqueline, the ‘MedTech,’ found a place in the hold for her equipment, “How are they going to unload that container into a jumpship?”
Andrew kept watch from the ramp while Florentin, Edgar, and Allie started the pre-flight checklist, “You want to take this one Jeremi?”
Jeremi looked aside to her with his laser pistol out, “Normally they just unload crates directly from the container, it’s just easier to refrigerate a single larger package than a bunch of smaller ones.”
“That still seems very inefficient.”
“It is, but so would having corridors and carrying gear large enough for containers on a jumpship. They are almost all KF drive.”

“What is up with these Clanners and seafood anyway?”
“Beats me, we should ask our hostages when we get up there.”
The ramp raised as the engines spun to life, Jump seats were built into an Ares’ cargo bay as they frequently carried soldiers into battle, “Now strap in everyone. We will have plenty of time for cultural exchange soon enough.”

12/18
SLS Cato drifted listlessly below Bone-Norman as an Astrolux shuttle approached it escorted by a pair of Sabutai fighters. As they approached visual range the stenciled writing on its flanks revealed the Explorer’s true name ‘Catoblepas’ and an insignia of a black octopus marked with sparkling blips of white reminiscent of stars. The Astrolux docked and disembarked its passengers while the Aerospace Pilots drifted into the same bay. A man waited by the ramp as a fit man with specks of gray in his coiffed black hair descended toward him, “Welcome aboard Director Peltier.”

They shook hands, both possessing signet rings marked with the same insignia as on the hull.
“Thank you, Cell Commander Knightly. I looked forward to our reunion and this liquor that the Somerset Merchant Factor raves about.”

“Yes sir, we shall arrive within that system in a few standard days.”
“Very well.”
One of the Director’s assistants carried a stainless steel cylindrical with a strip registering its internal power supply, “Then we should get back to work.”

PsihoKekec

• Captain
« Reply #169 on: 09 August 2023, 11:40:26 »
[Mission Impossible theme starts playing]

AlphaMirage

• Major
« Reply #170 on: 09 August 2023, 16:27:53 »
12/24/3051
Somerset’s primary cut through the early morning clouds as the night’s storm dissipated. Adam Steiner leaned on the damp balcony rails with a steaming mug of coffee in his hand. Rachel followed close behind, “Adam we seem to have lost long range communication last night.”
“I’m sure it was just lightning. It will be fixed in a few days.”

She leaned on the rail beside him, “I’m sure you’re right,” they both wore cautious smiles.

12/28/3051
Both Flight Officers fiddled with some of the many knobs and switches on the shuttles control console. Andrew tried to follow him and Edgar while he had no chance with Allie on the flight engineer’s console behind him. “How do you guys keep everything straight?”
Edgar kept his eyes on the RADAR returns and other instruments. “If we do it wrong, we might die.”
“Touche.”

The First Officer opened comms, “SLS Cato, this is Somerset Shuttle Alpha-Kilo Zero-Six-Four, awaiting final approach.”
“Roger AK Zero-Six-Four. Transmitting course projection. Confirm transmission.”

A radio beam emanated out of the much larger jumpship that was getting very close in their rear view. The Ares’ thrusters continued bleeding off the velocity they had built up over the first two days of transit. Somerset was one of few worlds where the recharge period and transit period lined up neatly with enough time to unload and reload cargo making it popular for the timeliness obsessed INTER-LOGI.

“We see it Cato.”

Floretin adjusted his course and bearing as the controls were already inverted as was normal for deceleration. “This is to easy Kapiten. Are you sure this isn’t some kind of trap?”
“Getting flashbacks Lieutenant?”

“I can’t say that I’m not.” He nervously gripped the toggles, “This is how I got pinched last time.”
“Just keep steady.”
“Roger that. Keeping steady.”

First Officer Schulz shouted, “Sir we have two RADAR contacts approaching. Fast.”
“What do you mean Edgar?”
“I mean we’ve got two bogies approaching at a high velocity.”
“Fighters?”
“Resolving images.”

Two color adjusted images appeared beside their scope contacts, “The Warbook calls these Sabutai, it’s a type of heavy fighter. If the stats are correct these things are monsters.”

“Knew it. You said this ship was unarmed!”

Andrew didn’t answer until the fighters came into visual range on either side of their shuttle, “But not defenseless it seems. Hold steady Helmsman, they are in enemy territory too. It’s only two Warriors.”

One of the Pilots opened comms, identified as ‘Sabercat One,’ they flipped and burned their thrusters faster than was protocol or survivable even for Inner Sphere pilots, “AK Zero-Six-Four, maintain course and heading.”
“Roger. Holding steady.”

Their Ares reached ‘relative’ stillness with the Explorer Jumpship which even though it was the smallest jump capable vessel in the universe still loomed over their small shuttle. The sleek Sabutai were lifted into the fighter bay by clamps while their Ares was pulled up to beside another shuttle.

Allie saw it in the rear view, “That’s an Astrolux Kapiten. Who’s on this ship?”

“I don’t know but we are going to find out.”

Andrew Steiner cracked his neck and knuckles before checking his uniform and keying the INTERCOM,
“Everybody get ready,” He donned his cap with the Merchant Foreman badge emblazoned on the front, “Our real mission starts now.”

PsihoKekec

• Captain
« Reply #171 on: 10 August 2023, 00:24:54 »
I reckon INTER-LOGI Director would also have at least some of elementals as bodyguards, maybe a point? Element of surprise and pulse laser rifles should probably be enough to overcome them if they are out of armor.

Gorgon

• Lieutenant
« Reply #172 on: 10 August 2023, 03:50:54 »
Hopefully, but even their soft suits offer good protection as was mentioned earlier. Against ballistic weapons, at least.
Jude Melancon lives!

AlphaMirage

• Major
« Reply #173 on: 10 August 2023, 09:32:58 »
“All hands report to the shuttle bay to expedite unloading.”

SLS Cato’s crew of thirteen Technicians and Scientists reported as ordered by their Leader, Commander Renmar (Knightly), assembling from all corners of the tiny Jumpship. Two small women, Point Leader Candida ‘SaberCat One’ and Aerospace Pilot Nimue ‘SaberCat Two’, stood by their Sabutais with arms folded over their chest on the opposite side of the bay. These doppelgangers wore white combat spacesuits that offset their slight builds, close cropped black hair, with pale skin, and the long slender fingers of a pianist. Cybernetic eyes gleamed under bright light along with the chrome pulse laser pistol at their thigh.

Director Reginald (Peltier) exited his Astrolux and stood in a loose medley of his own people, three Flight Crew including two similarly equipped female pilots, Two MedTechs, and a Junior Doctor from the Council’s Ministry of Biosecurity, at the base of their shuttle ramp. Commander Renmar strode over to him in a few bounding steps before anchoring himself to the floorplates, “Director you do not need to aid us. You are our guests.
My crew can handle the incoming cargo.”
“I will get something light. I cannot have everything just given to me Renmar.”
“If you wish, sir.”

The Ares’ ramp descended to the plates as a group of surly Somersetters strode down with their hands full of cargo boxes. Their leader stepped toward the Director and Commander, “Are you guys in charge?”

Renmar turned to face him, “Aff, I am Renmar Cato’s Commander.”

A noteputer was pushed toward him, although the Director lingered on the Merchant’s facial scars. “Merchant Foreman Andrew, please sign here,” Andrew looked at the Director who kept his eyes on him and saw the five Gold Faces on his Pentagon Caste Mark, “and I need a second signature for your special cargo sir.”

Reginald had a strange feeling that something was off with this Merchant, but he knew plenty of Nova Foxes that had retired into the Caste, perhaps this one was similar. “You want my signature?”
“Aff, the Commandant wants a guarantee his gift reached its intended recipient.”

“Very well.”
The Director paused to write his signature with the stylus as Andrew held the noteputer out with his off hand. If one could peer beneath the carefully placed noteputer one would see the print on his uniform jacket, but he kept it close and made small talk while shouting out commands to his crew.

Andrew’s companions scattered throughout the bay with some of them passing crates down from the ramp while others were carefully placing them in neat rows for the Jumpship’s crew to transfer onward into their cargo bay. The cargo bay grew emptier and the Warriors less attentive while Andrew enraptured their Superiors with tall tales overheard in Starport pubs or his Stepfather.

As the Ares’ cargo bay and the energy of the jumpship crew waned Andrew clipped his noteputer to his belt, put his back to the nearest Warrior, and Reginald between the other pair. All four Warriors had begun to lose interest in their charge and apparently the large man clinging to the Astrolux behind him. “You know Reggie, this has been swell, I really wish I could stay.”

His hand grasped the other man’s shoulder, “You are rather bold Andrew.”
Reginald felt a hard object push into his back. Andrew whispered to him, “This bold enough for you. Tell your people to stand down Director, or else.”
“Who are you?”

“Colonel Andrew Steiner, LCAF, and we are taking this ship.”
The Somerset crew positioned themselves in cover with good shots on the exposed Warriors and open metal boxes they were ‘fiddling’ with. “Tell your people to stand down.”

“They are the enemy!”
Reginald said before Andrew clocked him with the butt of his laser pistol.

A gleaming bolt from Andrew’s pistol seared through Commander Renmar who attempted to reach for Andrew’s pistol. The atmosphere reeked of burnt flesh and cloth. Andrew hauled Reginald to a safe place and took up position to fire on the corridor leading into the Jumpship.

Oscar dropped down from his perch crushing one of the Warriors into the plates before she could draw her pistol and firing his rifle at the other one. Her armor failed and laser pulses dropped her immediately. He shouldered her companion and dropped down to cover before policing her weapons and wrapping her arms and legs with zip binders.

On the other side of the bay Edgar locked down the bay doors. Florentin and Allie made a break for the bridge before the crew could send a distress signal. Others pinned SaberCat One and Two down who had little protection or cover other than their suits.

Polymer melted or evaporated, and metal scorched under the intense heat of their fire making the air painful to breath. The Somerset crew crouched behind carefully placed containers packed with spare parts made of dense materials, impossible to melt with the women’s pistols.

Their fire became less frequent and powerful as the batteries and heat management ebbed. They charged across the bay catching the Lyrans off-guard, their fists swift and sure but they were still small and eventually succumb to the sheer mass of furious escaped POWs.

Jacqueline treated the wounded, bruises and burns, a broken nose, and arm while Oscar guarded their captives. Uninjured Lyrans swept up the rest of the crew and returned them to the bay. The dead were put in the airlock under vacuum, for now.

Andrew perched himself on a pile of crates to address the crew after confirming there were no more Warriors or similar threats onboard. “I am Colonel Andrew Steiner of the Lyran Commowealth Armed Force. I take you, the Cato, and everything on it as Isorla.”

He wrapped his arm around the Pulse Laser Rifle as a few of his crew stood below on the plates, “If anyone has a problem with that. Speak now, I'll let you off. Otherwise zip it and get to work because we’ve got places to be.”

PsihoKekec

• Captain
« Reply #174 on: 10 August 2023, 11:27:01 »
Grand Theft Space Ship successful, they just need to avoid any Clan armed void assets until they are in the clear.

AlphaMirage

• Major
« Reply #175 on: 11 August 2023, 17:49:28 »
Chapter 15 – Guns, Germs, and Steel
12/29/3051

Oscar and Andrew transited the darkened corridors connecting the many small cells that formed the crew volume of SLS Cato, “We should space the Pilots Colonel.”
“I am not going to start spacing people. The Mongooses could have killed me but chose not to.”

He held the ‘slick’ (without grenade launcher or bayonet) Mauser 960 rifle tight to his chest as Cordelia and Vince passed on the way to the galley. Cato’s corridors were tight for the larger members of their party like Oscar, but perfectly sized for the slimmer Clanners while being navigable by more average people like Andrew. “We are at War Colonel. They didn’t kill you or us and now the Scientists have lost a ship because of it.”

“They are teenage girls.”
“They’re not, they just look that way. Each of them is a trained killer.
One of them broke Edgar’s arm before trying to suffocate us all by opening the bay doors.
We can’t trust them.”

They paused at one of the many T-intersections that bordered the ‘crew cube,’ “We’re not going to; they are locked in that supply room with two guards for a reason.”
“There are three of them and the door is plastic. They won’t even need a Buster tool to compromise it.”
“I’ll put you on permanent guard duty. You’re big and a trained killer, you can take them all.”
“I’m not sure I can, but if that is what you’d like me to do then so be it, Colonel.”

“Consider it an order Sergeant.”
Oscar saluted and descended through the passage below.

Andrew continued forward and found the Bridge where Jeremi and Lieutenant De Luca worked their consoles. As a jumpship the Cato only had station keeping thrusters so there was little for a helmsman to do but issue slight corrections to avoid collisions. Navigator Ankur parsed through stellar coordinates within the NavComputer. Both saluted before returning to their work although Florentin kept his eyes on the secured bridge door with his laser pistol at the ready.

Jeremi’s eyes twitched as he ran a compass over the NavScreen, “Colonel, the next jump they were going to execute lies within The Dark Nebula.”

“Are you certain?”
Andrew stood beside him as he ran the compass over the NavScreen, it indeed overlapped with the region of space known as The Dark Nebula, one filled with malformed stars spewing out lethal radiation and hazardous orbital objects that commercial spacers avoided.

“I am. I wish I had a COMSTAR Jump Computer to compare it with, but it is noted as a red dwarf system in this entry.”
 “Maybe it is where they are hiding their ships,” Colonel Steiner muttered to himself.

“What sir?”
“Nothing. Plot a course for Wotan when the drive is charged.”
“We don’t know what the conditions are around Wotan sir.
There could be Clan Combat Vessels at the jump point.”
“Do it for now, Edgar is working on decrypting the communications the Cato has saved in its cache. Wotan is our best bet to reach the FRR otherwise find me a decent star within jump range in that direction.”

Jeremi went back to studying the projected star map with a nod. Andrew stood over Florentin’s console which was presently looking at Cato’s jump sail. “Any problems Lieutenant?”

“Neg, as one would say. Just keeping the comm array pointed toward Somerset. Planet’s been to quiet.
Are you sure they haven’t noticed our escape?”

“We won’t know, Edgar’s code might have been to good.”

Andrew stood at one of the two armored doors that barred access to bridge without authorization from inside. “Keep the door locked and rotate out in a few hours. Get some rest.”
“Aye Aye Skipper Steiner.”

Colonel Steiner squinted in the light accentuating the scar over his right eye, then growled, “If you never say that again, that would be great.”

---

Cato’s infirmary took up a full third of the vessel’s grav deck along with the galley, mess, and an exercise room. Nurse Jacqueline Fontana watched the Clanners tend to a collection of curious medical and biochemical apparatus.

She jumped at a touch on her shoulder and turned around to see Andrew looming over her. “Have you figured out what all this stuff is yet?”
“I’ve been busy.”
She inhaled the mixed aroma emerging from a plastic pod with purplish lights above green sprouts within, “That is the herb garden.”

“Smells nice. Glad to have it near the galley. Having eaten so much bland space and prison food. Some terragon and dill on my frozen fish filet might taste the same as the finest branzino and capers prepared by the finest chefs on Skye.”

They walked past the Clan Techs and Scientists toward the medical beds and strange cylinders. “An isolation unit. It has a dedicated life support system disconnected from the ship.”
“Why?”

The Junior Doctor circulated toward them, “In case we have an infectious patient.”
Andrew faced the slender man with frosted blonde hair, “I am afraid we have not been introduced yet.”
His hand extended showing the single red face on his caste mark, “Junior Doctor Aras.”

“Doctor Aras would you please give us a tour?”
“If you wish it.”
The Doctor attached the magnetic clipboard to a plaque above one of the strange steel cylinders beeping even tones and occasionally venting cryogenic nitrogen, “I sense questions.”
“For you and the Director.”

“Perhaps I can ease the burden on my Superior’s bruised brain.”

His hand felt the cool steel protruding from the pistol’s power pack, “I felt bad for a bit.”
“No worries, he and I were selected from Trueborn Warrior Sibkos. We are hardly defenseless.”

Colonel Steiner watched the other Scientists in this chamber seeing they were fit and vigilant though unseasoned, “Noted. Why does the Cato have such an extensive biologics facility?”
“In other times it would be a bio-survey vessel. However, we all serve REVIVAL, thus Cato carries satellite maintenance equipment and messages as requested. Pathogens too, particularly zoonotic ones.”

“You will have to treat me as if I know nothing but violence Doctor. Zoonotic?”
“Animal carried. The Exodus Fleet could not take livestock with them. They would draw unsustainable life support. Our homeworlds contain no domesticable animals. We use machines instead.
Our Iron Wombs generate Warrior Crechies, not calories or work. The Clans sustain themselves on aquaponics.”

Jacqueline listened in while studying a cell culture marked by an arcane series of symbols, “That explains the pescatarian diet.”

“Our people lost resistance to many diseases. COMSTAR isorla, due to their diversity in genetics and demographics, have been helpful in treating this deficiency. Still we gather specimens for our own protection.”
“Thus, the Ministry of Biosecurity?”
“Director Reginald has a warrant from ilKhan Showers. He is perhaps our brightest epidemiologist and one of our best virologists.”

Andrew took it all in and watched the others within the medical bay peering their way, “They will want him back then.”
“Aff, my people’s survival would be aided by his return.”
“Perhaps, but my people’s survival requires we oppose you.”

“You will lose. We are a force of nature. You have only met the Vanguard.”
“We will still fight.”
“Then perhaps honor has not completely departed the Lyran Commonwealth, unlike its leaders.”

Aras looked aside toward one of his experiments which had gone ‘out of tune’ with its status beeping.
“You have given me much to think about Aras.” Andrew looked toward Jacqueline, ‘be careful,’ she nodded as he turned.

Endless corridors connected the ‘crew cube’ consisting of generous passenger quarters, machine spaces, and storage chambers. The fortified Shuttle Bay door was locked down from the bridge, additional cameras were set up near the Warrior’s confinement, late Commander Renmar’s quarters were equally under observation as it contained the highest level prisoner. Andrew stopped at the door holding a bottle of Weingarten Silvaner with two fluid bulbs and looking at the camera. Someone on the bridge opened the Captain’s Quarters.

Director Reginald waited for him at the desk, his bruised forehead still prominent. “Good morning Colonel Steiner.”
Andrew strapped himself in across from the Director. “Director, It is sixteen hundred, according to the ship’s clock.”
“Well, I just woke up with a headache. I see you have brought me a gift. One related to my interests in viniculture, microbes, and fermentation.”
“Call it a peace offering.”
“I shall reciprocate.”
He placed a power pack on the computer built into the desk surface.
“What is that?”
“The power cell to the laser pistol I discovered within these quarters.”

Andrew reached for his pistol then relaxed to clip the cell to his belt. Reginald placed the concealed laser pistol between them. “We searched this room before locking you in it.”

“Apparently not good enough.
I trust the wine is, on the contrary, exquisite. Somerset’s Merchant Factor raves about it.”

“It is one of my mother’s favorites,”
Andrew attached the bulbs to the bottle’s spout filling them with the liquid, “and now I think I need a drink.”

Reginald studied the slightly bubbly clear liquid and presented it, “To good health then.”

PsihoKekec

• Captain
« Reply #176 on: 12 August 2023, 14:19:14 »
So Clanners are similarly vulnerable as Martians in the War of the Worlds, only that they are aware of their Achilles Heel. And it makes sense Kerensky would not be able to sustain animal population for his Space Moses LARP.

Gorgon

• Lieutenant
« Reply #177 on: 12 August 2023, 17:48:13 »
But I gotta ask: where do the fish come from? Were they native to Strana Mechty or the Kerensky Cluster?
Jude Melancon lives!

AlphaMirage

• Major
« Reply #178 on: 22 August 2023, 13:16:45 »
But I gotta ask: where do the fish come from? Were they native to Strana Mechty or the Kerensky Cluster?

In this case Somerset although I am certain they developed or exploited some native species that fit into their paradigm. Although if it was just limited to seeding oceans with fish that might take a while but it might be shorter than doing the same on land.

---

Two days had passed while the Lyrans acclimated themselves to their curious prisoners and new circumstances. Andrew Steiner stood beside Bosun Edgar Jaeger in a basic spacesuit while the Bosun pitched the Sabutai overboard and into the deep black using the enhanced musculature of his engineer’s suit. Airlocks sealed behind them, and atmosphere returned to the reduced pressure, enriched oxygen blend standardized since the days of the Terran Hegemony.

They removed their helmets as soon as the sensors read green, “It’s a pity we had to pitch them.”
“I had to be certain that the Pilots use them against us. The Astrolux at least has additional life support and access control for our team, but those fighters were nothing but a threat.”

“I understand, still a pity,”
Edgar’s hand undulated and shot forth with impressive speed accentuated by his suit’s myomer underweave, “They were sexy craft. All smooth curves with the spirit to match, I bet they were a beauty to fly.”
Andrew loomed over the smaller spaceman in both physique and countenance, “They probably were, but even you are too big to fit into that cockpit. Only Allie can fit but she can’t fly. If we get exposed a pair of fighters won’t save us.”
“I’d be willing to lube up and give it a try. Wonder what they do with the larger pilot candidates.”
“I’ll ask the Director this evening.”
“Has he given you anything interesting?”
“Distraction, something we’d all like to have but can’t give ourselves enough of at the moment.”

Andrew departed the bay, deposited his suit into the locker, and stopped by the galley to grab two plates before translating with the sealed dishes. Allie crouched by the Director’s door grasping one of the many ties along its circumference but within sight of the only approved airtight door leading to this hall, “You don’t have to watch him Allie, get some shut eye. He can’t get far; all movement must pass through compartment bulkheads we control.”

“I don’t trust him or any of them. I’ve seen what they are capable of.”
She patted the late Commander Renmar’s pistol on her belt, “I’m sure this isn’t the only hidden weapon on this ship, and there are still three Warriors onboard.”
“I understand, I’ll take over the Director’s watch for now.”
“Be careful Colonel, something is off with that guy.”
“I know, that is why I keep talking to him.”

Allie looked him over and saw he was carrying something other than dishes in the pouches attached to his vest, “Are you armed?”
“No, I’d just be bringing weapons to a fight better fought with words. He’s an old man. I can handle him.”

She hesitated before launching herself toward the galley and New Year’s Dinner.

Andrew keyed his authorization code into the taped-on number pad, and received a response from the bridge which gave him the green light to open the sterile white plastic portal. Director Reginald waited for him with his silverware already attached to the magnetic pad on the table. “According to my estimates today is Terran New Years.”
“Aff, Director.”
“Good I had feared I might have missed a cycle while I was reading. What do we have for dinner this evening Colonel?”
“The usual,”
the plastic shell opened to reveal an entrée of seafood and vegetables wrapped in delicate papery film alongside a cup of sticky rice balls. “Your galley mates do not seem excitable enough to throw a proper New Year’s party.”

Reginald took a bit of one of the rolls, “We only celebrate Founding Day, during that week there are many festivities and Artisan performances for the masses.”
“I thought that the Clans lacked art.”

The Director chuckled, “You have clearly never met a Ghost Bear Skald then,” Reginald reached back and put a small book with a gilded cover in front of them, “or read our Remembrance.”
“You are giving me homework Director?”
“You have the time, Colonel. You might know something about spacecraft, but you are a MechWarrior through and through. Perhaps it is better you stay out of the way of your more knowledgeable subordinates. If you want to understand us, it is all right there in black and white. You can read that faster than interviewing me.”

“Perhaps but I do have a few questions, while we are together. What is up with the dull eyed doll faces?”
“The Aerospace Warriors?”
“Yes, why do they have cybernetic eyes?”
“Colonel if you would just ask your questions more pointedly, I could provide answers without questioning you in turn to clarify.
Eyeballs are fluid objects,” the Director lifted a rice ball onto his spoon, “they do not do well in microgravity. Thus, many of the Aerospace Phenotype who populate our orbital installations remove them and replace them with alternatives.”
He gracefully guided the rice ball to his mouth and swallowed, “The fact that they are granted additional sensitivity in the Infrared is merely a useful side effect and one that takes some practice to utilize although females are faster to pick up on it.”
“What happens to the tall ones?”
“They become Espatiers. Our Espatier Corps is almost entirely Male while the Flying Corps is seventy percent female. Why build a larger fighter if a smaller Pilot can do that same job better since they need less thrust or life support?”
“Why were there no Espatiers on board this vessel?”
“We have many vessels plying the stars. They were needed elsewhere or so I figured. Otherwise, your ambush might have been unsuccessful. Their armor may not be as impenetrable as an Elementals but it is more mobile in microgravity such that even an Elemental struggles against a trained Espatier in their native environment.”

“I have a few more questions before I depart.”

Reginald leaned back in his chair and folded his hands into one another, “I have all the time in the world at the moment Colonel, consider me a captive audience.”

Andrew pulled a signet ring with a black opalescence octopus on it from his pouch. “I found this in your quarters on the Astrolux. There is no Octopus Clan. So, what does this symbolize?”

The Director leaned forward once more and played with the shimmering shape, “How much time do you have?”
“The rest of the year, if necessary, Director. Explain.”

mikecj

• Major
  • Veteran of Galahad 3028
« Reply #179 on: 22 August 2023, 16:24:15 »
Hail Hydra!
There are no fish in my pond.
"First, one brief announcement. I just want to mention, for those who have asked, that absolutely nothing what so ever happened today in sector 83x9x12. I repeat, nothing happened. Please remain calm." Susan Ivanova
"Solve a man's problems with violence, help him for a day. Teach a man to solve his problems with violence, help him for a lifetime." - Belkar Bitterleaf
Romo Lampkin could have gotten Stefan Amaris off with a warning.

Register