Author Topic: Available tonnage after engine, gyro, structure, and cockpit  (Read 2251 times)

carlisimo

• Warrant Officer
Hi everyone, no *new* information here, but I made graphs showing how much tonnage you have left to play with after taking into account your engine, gyro, internal structure, and cockpit.  It makes it easy to visualize why we have issues with the Cicada, Charger, and Banshee, among others.  One thing I hadn't realized is that the Marauder, Goliath, and Battlemaster have the same tonnage to spend on weapons, armor, and heat sinks.  Click for a larger version, if I've done this right.

In order, the charts show:
1) standard everything (3025)
2) light fusion engines
3) XL fusion engines, standard internal structure
4) XL fusion engines, endo steel (basically your modern Clan mechs)
5) Std. and XL engines on the same cacophonous chart

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
Re: Available tonnage after engine, gyro, structure, and cockpit
« Reply #1 on: 06 May 2023, 16:03:11 »
a nice visual. i think most people have a vague understanding of how big engines sap available weight, but it's cool to see exactly how those curves work

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

Speedbump

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #2 on: 06 May 2023, 17:33:42 »
These are great. I'd love to see XXL engines or XL Gyros added into the mix, but I appreciate that you could quickly approach a combination nightmare. I also think the charts could do with a second image that is zoomed in at that light end of the spectrum as having to take the Banshee and Atlas into account means that the differences between the Wasp and Locust are hard to see even in the larger images, but that's very much nitpicking. Thank you for sharing this.

SCC

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #3 on: 06 May 2023, 19:30:23 »
So I actually picked up a spreadsheet at some point that's got the same sort of information, it doesn't allow for structure changes, but covers SFE, LFE, XLE and XXL along with JJ and lots of pretty colors that you need to figure out

idea weenie

• Major
« Reply #4 on: 06 May 2023, 19:37:58 »
My stunt was to just make a single spreadsheet tab, with several options at the bottom for engine type, internal structure type, Gyro type, max armor (or not), jump jets (or not), etc.

From there, it would see which of the Mechs had the most available tonnage, and list that number below the speed.

Very nice charts though, helps us to see exactly where the curves are for a variety of tonnages and Mech speeds.

Weirdo

• Painter of Borth the Magic Puma
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major General
  • We can do it. We have to.
    • Christina Dickinson Writes
« Reply #5 on: 08 May 2023, 08:41:49 »
These charts are REALLY cool. Would it be possible to create similar ones for aerospace fighters?
My wife writes books

Sixteen tons means sixteen suits. CT must be repaired.

"Damn you, Weirdo... Damn you for being right!" - Paul

carlisimo

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #6 on: 09 May 2023, 15:36:25 »
These charts are REALLY cool. Would it be possible to create similar ones for aerospace fighters?

In theory, sure… but I know nothing about aerospace.  I don’t suppose it’s in the Techmanual?

AlphaMirage

• Major
« Reply #7 on: 09 May 2023, 15:57:33 »
It should be very similar Im pretty sure the biggest difference is that the movement is +2 but ASF use the same engine masses

Wolf72

• Captain
« Reply #8 on: 09 May 2023, 16:14:52 »
In theory, sure… but I know nothing about aerospace.  I don’t suppose it’s in the Techmanual?

Yup. aw-poop, would give you page numbers but I don't feel like opening up a pdf and watching my computer sputter along ... considering getting a phys copy soon-ish (months? a year?)
"We're caught in the moon's gravitational pull, what do we do?!"

CI KS #1357; Merc KS #9798

"We're sending a squad up."

Weirdo

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major General
« Reply #9 on: 09 May 2023, 16:19:59 »

Yup, it's all there. :thumbsup:
My wife writes books

carlisimo

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #10 on: 09 May 2023, 18:04:24 »
Yeah I’ll give it a shot.  What are the most common combinations of engines and whatever else goes into aerospace fighters?

Weirdo

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major General
« Reply #11 on: 09 May 2023, 18:16:28 »
Same engine types as mechs, I *think* they only have the one structure type, so it might be viable to throw in small cockpits as a variable if you want.
My wife writes books

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #12 on: 09 May 2023, 19:07:46 »
SI is weightless for ASF.

carlisimo

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #13 on: 10 May 2023, 02:50:27 »
Aerospace fighters look fairly simple.  Same fusion engines as mechs (I'm definitely going to ignore Compact engines - does anyone care about IS Light engines?).  The version of the TechManual I have doesn't even offer small cockpits as an option, just your standard 3-ton cockpit, so that's easy.  There doesn't seem to be any equivalent to gyros. 

Do fuel loads vary?  I'll leave it out unless 99% of aerospace fighters happen to carry exactly 2 tons of it.  Note that a 12/18 5-ton ASF with a standard fusion engine could carry a half-ton of fuel and have no weight capacity left over for weapons or armor, and unless anyone objects I'm going to include that in the chart.  Do I need to include fighters faster than 12/18? 

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #14 on: 10 May 2023, 03:33:52 »
Only if you include XL engines, really.

pokefan548

• Captain
  • The Barracuda knows where it is, hence the -2 mod.
    • Poke's Aerospace Academy (Discord Server)
« Reply #15 on: 10 May 2023, 04:26:14 »
Aerospace fighters look fairly simple.  Same fusion engines as mechs (I'm definitely going to ignore Compact engines - does anyone care about IS Light engines?).  The version of the TechManual I have doesn't even offer small cockpits as an option, just your standard 3-ton cockpit, so that's easy.  There doesn't seem to be any equivalent to gyros. 

Do fuel loads vary?  I'll leave it out unless 99% of aerospace fighters happen to carry exactly 2 tons of it.  Note that a 12/18 5-ton ASF with a standard fusion engine could carry a half-ton of fuel and have no weight capacity left over for weapons or armor, and unless anyone objects I'm going to include that in the chart.  Do I need to include fighters faster than 12/18?
Fuel is generally variable enough that I wouldn't bother, and from memory small aerospace cockpits are a TO thing. If we're looking for extra variables, might want to throw in bombs. There are some combinations that are definitely more efficient for bombers than others with regards to max payload, the resulting thrust loss, and overall efficiency.
Poke's Aerospace Academy
The best place to learn and discuss AeroTech.

"Poke is just a figment of our imagination really." - Siam
"Poke isn't a real person, he's just an algorithm programmed by CGL to try and get people to try the aerospace rules." - Phantasm
"I want to plant the meat eating trees and the meat growing trees on the same planet! Watch that plant on plant violence!" - Sawtooth
Leviathans: The Great War Backer #224
BattleTech: Mercenaries Backer #23

PuppyLikesLaserPointers

• Captain
« Reply #16 on: 10 May 2023, 05:10:46 »
Good. Although I knew 75 is the best weight for 5/8 if you have an XL engine, but it nails this. I don't think that everyone can afford such mechs if all you could buy right now is a 55 tons mech, but...

Anyway it makes clear that why lights are bad after jihad and are only viable as the cheap and expendable unit. Why you need for a light, where a medium could do better if you want the best mech with the walk speed of x and don't care for the cost? But if you need to consider the cost, lights are still have uses. Even if it downs too easily, but you don't expect much for such a cheap unit after all. Perhaps 10/15 still needs to be a light(unless you just want the speed of 10 by jump, which is possible with a 55 tonner+partial wings+8 Improved Jump Jets), but not the bug mech class.

Fuel is not the same but usually most ASFs I have seen are have the fuel reserve of 4 to 5 tons, unless for the light class which are usually 2 to 3(and it can't be helped for its light total tonnage). If I remember correctly, the TW rules generally assumed that an ASF is expected to have 5 tons of fuel by default, so if you want to make a custom ASF on your game you better consider that it has 5 tons of fuel by default(I don't think that it is a must, though). But anyway you better have much more than a LAM's default 1 ton of fuel tank, if you expect the ASF to fly.
« Last Edit: 10 May 2023, 05:13:22 by PuppyLikesLaserPointers »

Sir Chaos

• Captain
  • Artillery Fanboy
« Reply #17 on: 11 May 2023, 14:37:30 »
Same engine types as mechs, I *think* they only have the one structure type, so it might be viable to throw in small cockpits as a variable if you want.

I thought small cockpits are just a flat 1 ton of mass saved compared to standard cockpit, regardless of unit weight? That would kind of make it pointless to use them as a variable, wouldn´t it?
"Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl."
-Frederick the Great

"Ultima Ratio Regis" ("The Last Resort of the King")
- Inscription on cannon barrel, 18th century

SCC

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #18 on: 17 May 2023, 02:29:24 »
For ASF the charts will be virtually the same as 'Mechs, the lack of a gyro or structure and the addition of fuel won't change things that much, so just use the 'Mech charts.

Weirdo

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major General
« Reply #19 on: 17 May 2023, 10:13:57 »
Completely untrue. A fighter and a mech of the same mass that both have 6/9 movement ratings will have very different engine ratings and thus different engine mass.
My wife writes books

Charistoph

• Major
« Reply #20 on: 17 May 2023, 12:00:06 »
Indeed.  A Centurion uses the same engine as a Corsair, but the Corsair carries 5 tons more Armor (which the Centurion cannot even carry), 6 more Heat Sinks, and a more focused firepower setup.
Are you a Wolf, a Sheep, or a Hound?
Quote from: Megavolt
They called me crazy…they called me insane…THEY CALLED ME LOONEY!! and boy, were they right.

Charistoph's Painted Products of Mechanical Mayhem

Carbon Elasmobranch

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #21 on: 01 June 2023, 18:10:07 »
Completely untrue. A fighter and a mech of the same mass that both have 6/9 movement ratings will have very different engine ratings and thus different engine mass.

That 6/9 movement rating also means something very different for the ASF.

'Mech: I move a cautious 6 hexes!

ASF: Yeah, best to play it safe. I throttle up to just Velocity 4 and fly around the ground map twice so I can keep covering the unit.

Register