Author Topic: Handedness of Battlearmor  (Read 2005 times)

Goose

• Lieutenant
  • … the Laws on his tail, burning for home …
    • Home of HeavyMetal Pro
Handedness of Battlearmor
« on: 19 May 2023, 21:07:34 »
 :-\ I keep forgetting you have to specific dominant hand when you requisition a suit, which is clearly something to go sideways in a interstellar empire. :ugly_stupid:

So, as an excuse to add some flavor to things, what else account in a suit for?

Lots of reasons to avoid Impr. Stealth? >:D
Goose
The Ancient Egyptian God of Fractional AccountingAnimare Tai-sa Shikishima
I'm always ready to learn, although I do not always like being taught.

Hellraiser

• Colonel
  • Cry Havoc and Unleash the Gods of Fiat.
Re: Handedness of Battlearmor
« Reply #1 on: 23 May 2023, 16:43:08 »
Oddly enough, I thought there was some fluff in a sourcebook or novel about Elementals being able to reverse the Weapon & Claw hands.
3041: General Lance Hawkins: The Equalizers
3053: Star Colonel Rexor Kerensky: The Silver Wolves

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

AlphaMirage

• Major
« Reply #2 on: 23 May 2023, 18:25:39 »
I actually fluff it on the off-hand since you would want your primary to have the actual interaction part and the off-hand only has to point at the enemy with the recoil taken by the frame.

paladin2019

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #3 on: 24 May 2023, 12:41:18 »
I'd argue you want your off-hand to do the blocking (high risk to hand/arm) and grabbing and holding on while your primary hand does the opening up of the 'mech. Ultimately, battle armor seems limited in that it only has one hand when you would want to be able to switch based on the task at hand.
<-- first 'mech I drove as a Robotech destroid pilot way back when

AlphaMirage

• Major
« Reply #4 on: 24 May 2023, 13:00:05 »
I'd argue you want your off-hand to do the blocking (high risk to hand/arm) and grabbing and holding on while your primary hand does the opening up of the 'mech. Ultimately, battle armor seems limited in that it only has one hand when you would want to be able to switch based on the task at hand.

Not all battle armor has just one hand, and we actually don't know if there is an armored glove within the weapon mount that could be utilized if you had a few minutes to detach and reattach your weapon

paladin2019

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #5 on: 24 May 2023, 13:11:57 »
The proposition was one hand and putting it on the primary hand for fine motor stuff. I'm arguing other considerations. And if your BA has 18+ turns of downtime in a game to switch, why did you spend points on it?

ImperialistDog

• Recruit
« Reply #6 on: 18 June 2023, 22:42:55 »
Given that handedness is not a minor thing and is tied to eye dominance and other things, I always figured that they designed them so that while not doable in combat the technicians could change out the lower arms and move them about.  So when a trooper was assigned to a specific suit then the techs would do the various adjustments you'd need to make to finetune the inside of the boots, joint position and flexion, etc.  And while they were at it they could swap the lower arm assemblies between arms to account for whether a trooper was right or left handed.

paladin2019

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #7 on: 19 June 2023, 00:51:36 »
FWIW, I've trained plenty of individuals whose eye dominance is the polar opposite of their handedness (rough guess ~9%). It is not so uncommon that it isn't specifically addressed in training documentation, both diagnosis and mandating the training regimen be keyed to eye dominance rather than hand. Right-handed and left eye dominant? I don't care, shut up and shoot goofy-foot.