Author Topic: NHL 2023-2024 Vegas Edition: Mojave, Mo' Problems  (Read 15958 times)

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
Re: NHL 2023-2024 Vegas Edition: Mojave, Mo' Problems
« Reply #330 on: 11 May 2024, 01:02:14 »
So...has the clock struck midnight for the Bruins, and Swayman has turned into a pumpkin?

Cheers,

Gabe
I didn't see it but box score looks brutal.
Playing Guitar On My YouTube Channel:
Current cover tune: "The Wind Cries Mary" (by Jimi Hendrix)
https://youtu.be/m6a8wZiCsjM?si=0w7tVOgk7yylNv6a

"Thou shalt not create a machine in the image of the human mind." ~ The Orange Catholic Bible, Dune, Frank Herbert

chanman

• Major
  • Architect of suffering
« Reply #331 on: 11 May 2024, 01:33:10 »
Canucks had a terrible third period, but hang on only to lose in overtime. Brutal reffing in the second.

Fat Guy

• Major
  • I make beer disappear. What's your superpower?
« Reply #332 on: 11 May 2024, 04:12:30 »
So...has the clock struck midnight for the Bruins, and Swayman has turned into a pumpkin?

I think it happened midway last series and they were just lucky as hell to win game 7.

The only reason they won game 1 this round was that Cats hadn't played in forever and had a ton of rust.
I have spoken.

17thRecon

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #333 on: 11 May 2024, 11:51:30 »

I think it happened midway last series and they were just lucky as hell to win game 7.

The only reason they won game 1 this round was that Cats hadn't played in forever and had a ton of rust.

Agree. I don’t see Boston winning another game.

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #334 on: 11 May 2024, 22:26:34 »
Canes came out swinging hard.  The Rangers tied it up by the third, but couldn't complete the come from behind victory.
« Last Edit: 12 May 2024, 20:34:42 by rebs »

"Thou shalt not create a machine in the image of the human mind." ~ The Orange Catholic Bible, Dune, Frank Herbert

Fat Guy

• Major
« Reply #335 on: 12 May 2024, 04:08:51 »
And for once, the Stars didn't piss away the lead.
I have spoken.

Fat Guy

• Major
« Reply #336 on: 12 May 2024, 20:26:31 »
Tonight though, Boston did.   :evil:
I have spoken.

gyedid

• Captain
  • Always brighter on the other side of the mirror.
« Reply #337 on: 12 May 2024, 20:33:00 »
Tonight though, Boston did.   :evil:

Did better than I thought they would without Marchand in the lineup.  Whatever you think of him as a player, there's little question he's become the heart and soul of that team.  Losing him may have fired the B's up a bit, but not surprising that they eventually crumbled.

Seriously, I feel the Cats are like the modern-day version of the Broad Street Bullies, with Sam Bennett as Bully-in-chief.  He's got Tom Wilson-level meanness and hits to hurt.  Players like him and Matthew Tkachuk make the Cats real tough to like.

cheers,

Gabe
So, now I'm imagining people boxing up Overlords for loading as cargo.  "Nope, totally not a DropShip.  Everyone knows you can't fit a DropShip in a WarShip!  It's...a ten thousand ton box of marshmallows!  Yeah.  For the Heavy Guards big annual smores party."
--Arkansas Warrior, on the possibility of carrying Dropships as cargo in Warship cargo bays.

TERRAN SUPREMACY DEFENSE FORCE.  For when you want to send the SLDF, but couldn't afford the whole kit and kaboodle.

JadeHellbringer

• Easily Bribed Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #338 on: 12 May 2024, 21:15:47 »
I need the definition of interference explained to me. Slowly. Because apparently the rules I spent so mich time learning g as a kid don't apply tonight.
"There's a difference between the soldier and his fight,
But the warrior knows the true meaning of his life."
+Larry and his Flask, 'Blood Drunk'+

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

Fat Guy

• Major
« Reply #339 on: 13 May 2024, 09:21:47 »
If this was a regular season game, that would have been goaltender interference. The NHL officiates differently in the postseason.
I have spoken.

gyedid

• Captain
« Reply #340 on: 13 May 2024, 20:46:04 »
Ooh, are the wheels starting to come off for the Rags?

The 'Canes sure are suddenly looking every bit like the built-for-the-playoffs team they're supposed to be.

cheers,

Gabe
So, now I'm imagining people boxing up Overlords for loading as cargo.  "Nope, totally not a DropShip.  Everyone knows you can't fit a DropShip in a WarShip!  It's...a ten thousand ton box of marshmallows!  Yeah.  For the Heavy Guards big annual smores party."
--Arkansas Warrior, on the possibility of carrying Dropships as cargo in Warship cargo bays.

TERRAN SUPREMACY DEFENSE FORCE.  For when you want to send the SLDF, but couldn't afford the whole kit and kaboodle.

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #341 on: 14 May 2024, 02:30:54 »
Carolina did it again.  NYR can't seal the deal now?  Let's see what game 6 brings.  The Rangers need to go into Raleigh and take them down to avoid getting to a 7 game fiasco.

Fat Guy

• Major
« Reply #342 on: 14 May 2024, 06:29:16 »
Will the President's Trophy Curse claim another victim?
I have spoken.

Firesprocket

• Captain
  • 3601 S Broad St. Phila. PA 19148
« Reply #343 on: 14 May 2024, 16:29:17 »
I feel it is still possible the Hurricanes can win this series in 7 games.  However the fact that the Rangers can still manage to punch in shorties at will makes that whole idea unsustainable.

Elsewhere the Canucks have yet to fall off a cliff and remain resilient when they could have just fallen off a cliff after losing two goalies.

gyedid

• Captain
« Reply #344 on: 14 May 2024, 20:59:05 »
Will the President's Trophy Curse claim another victim?

Is it still the curse if the trophy-winning team is eliminated after the first round?

cheers,

Gabe

JadeHellbringer

• Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #345 on: 15 May 2024, 08:01:26 »
I still don't think Boston is getting out of this series alive- unlike the Canes, where momentum has entirely shifted to the team fighting for their playoff lives, the Bruins more 'clung on long enough' to win last night. Ugly, grinding game that saw a lot of bad calls (again) and a lot of grinding, rough play. It's the kind of game the B's would prefer to play against the fast-moving Panthers, I'm sure, but the Panthers are pretty good at it as well.

But, at the very least, we get a reprieve until Friday, and can point at this as refusing to go down without a fight... or several, as it turns out. Hopefully an extra day of rest between games helps a very haggard-looking team (Marchand in particular) get the extra rest they need.

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

JadeHellbringer

• Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #346 on: 16 May 2024, 08:35:18 »
The Avalanche had that amazing offensive blitz in the first round, never scoring less than five goals in a game in all five games, but against Dallas it all dried up- their top players have been all but shut down (those that still play for them...), and the loss of Val Nichushkin- again- obviously rattled them before their game on Monday night- the team collectively looked totally off their game. It would have been understandable, even expected, that Dallas would slam the door shut and end Colorado's season for Game 5- with the Avs' top scorer lost for at least six months, and the rest of their weapons stifled, what's left to do but finish it?

Just one teensy little problem... All Hail Cale.

Just another one of those nights where you watch Cale Makar and start thinking this is a true generational talent, the kind of player that entirely changes how a position is played for years to come. A two-goal performance really only tells the bones of the story- he was everywhere at once all night long making life miserable on both ends of the ice. And on the strength of that performance, we have a Game 6 in Denver coming up.

There was a time that I thought Colorado got screwed out of the top pick in that draft, and dropping down to #4 despite having the worst record in the league was absolutely ridiculous. I'm not sure that they didn't get the best player in that draft at this point- I'd go so far as to say the best defenseman in the NHL, in fact.

+Crow T. Robot+

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #347 on: 16 May 2024, 12:07:22 »
Yzerman was a #4 pick as well.  In his year the #1 was Matt Lawton, "THE LAW".  No one has even heard of him and I only remember because comedy value. 

I would already agree Makar was the steal of the draft, even at #4.

gyedid

• Captain
« Reply #348 on: 16 May 2024, 20:46:21 »
Holy.

Krap.

Kreider.

Another year of playoff futility for the bunch of jerks.

Cheers,

Gabe

Firesprocket

• Captain
« Reply #349 on: 16 May 2024, 23:27:23 »
Kreider is a stud and he's not even considered the best player on his team.  I don't particularly want the Rangers to win a cup ever again, but he's just a fun dude to watch play.

chanman

• Major
  • Architect of suffering
« Reply #350 on: 17 May 2024, 00:15:56 »
Another one-goal game. Canucks take the game 3-2 with a goal at the last minute. Probably the most notable bit is that the Edmonton power play got held off the scoresheet tonight.

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #351 on: 17 May 2024, 01:25:20 »
If the Rangers had lost Thursday night and it went to game 7 in NYC, the upset would be in the air and irresistible to the 'Canes.  Closing the series out in 6 games was an absolute must and they did it. 

put another way - if the Rangers lost and somehow won game 7, they wouldn't @#%$@* deserve to advance and Carolina should advance anyway.
« Last Edit: 17 May 2024, 01:26:57 by rebs »

JadeHellbringer

• Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #352 on: 17 May 2024, 10:33:53 »
That was a tough one. Again, Carolina played a good game, they really have nothing to regret here. They just faced one player who wanted Saturday off and was determined to make sure he got it.

I, meanwhile, now have the unenviable task of watching both of my beloved NHL teams play elimination games on the same evening. I may need to stop by the booze shop after work, because this is gonna be a rough evening to get through.

(For what it's worth, I'll take the Panthers 4-2 with an empty-netter in there, and I'll take the Avalanche 5-3 to force a Game 7)

+Crow T. Robot+

NeonKnight

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Cause Them My Initials!
« Reply #353 on: 17 May 2024, 10:39:07 »
Is it too late to jump on the CANUCKS bandwagon? there is room up there, yeah?

AGENT #575, Vancouver Canada

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #354 on: 17 May 2024, 15:08:21 »
Might as well JUMP!  ::que the music::

Serious.  From an outside perspective, Vancouver is a damn roller coaster.  So when people like you or Chanman step out for air and take a few years to return to the party, it's understandable.

But with that in mind, the system doesn't work without the bandwagon to encourage fans to come back and root for them. So jump jump jump!

chanman

• Major
  • Architect of suffering
« Reply #355 on: 17 May 2024, 15:23:22 »
Might as well JUMP!  ::que the music::

Serious.  From an outside perspective, Vancouver is a damn roller coaster.  So when people like you or Chanman step out for air and take a few years to return to the party, it's understandable.

But with that in mind, the system doesn't work without the bandwagon to encourage fans to come back and root for them. So jump jump jump!

It probably also focuses ownership and management minds a bit more if they can't take local interest and revenues for granted. *cough* Toronto

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #356 on: 17 May 2024, 15:25:01 »
It probably also focuses ownership and management minds a bit more if they can't take local interest and revenues for granted. *cough* Toronto

Related, in the NFL, Lions fans kind of did the same thing.  Just stop going to games, stop buying the goods. 

So that's understandable too.

Firesprocket

• Captain
« Reply #357 on: 17 May 2024, 16:39:40 »
I'd join the Canucks bandwagon, but I still have PTSD from when that bandwagon abducted me and plunged my timeline into chaos a few.years ago.

Little did I release that my timeline could be flooded with far worse.  I should have never fought back and willngly subjected myself to the Canuck Confederation propaganda.

NeonKnight

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Cause Them My Initials!
« Reply #358 on: 17 May 2024, 16:49:20 »
Well - living in Vancouver (and being Canadian) - it shocks people when I tell I'm not that into Sports...But....Well, we are in the Playoffs - so....
AGENT #575, Vancouver Canada

chanman

• Major
  • Architect of suffering
« Reply #359 on: 17 May 2024, 17:16:17 »
Well - living in Vancouver (and being Canadian) - it shocks people when I tell I'm not that into Sports...But....Well, we are in the Playoffs - so....

I don't know why it would be that shocking. Vancouver isn't a huge sports town. I think it supports the number of teams that it does largely as a function of the size of the city