Author Topic: Ideas are bulletproof: The Republic of the Sphere Megathread  (Read 67245 times)

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
Re: Ideas are bulletproof: The Republic of the Sphere Megathread
« Reply #450 on: 29 July 2023, 10:32:10 »

Say what now?

I think he's referring to Stone's Relocation Program, which is more of an example of a writer not paying attention to either human nature or history.  "mass voluntary movement" doesn't tend to go smoothly nor does it tend to be truly voluntary anywhere EXCEPT fiction.  The problem being that there's official canon insisting it WAS voluntary, rather than the obvious 'voluntoldy' that would have to actually happen to avoid major civil chaos, civil disagreement, followed by loss of civility and civil war.  The partition of India is a more accurate example of what REALLY happens.  (it very nearly broke India as a nation with civil war before the ink was fully dry on the british pull-out.)  The other historical example, would be Tito's relocation and ethnic mixing policies, which gave everyone the spectacle of the Yugoslavian Wars of the 1990s.

*Wars that featured Ethnic Cleansing and other atrocities at civilians by their neighbors...

You can interpret the statement as "more hating on the Republic", and be completely valid in doing so, since the whole situation is very "Fasanomiks" in tone-something so contrary to human nature and history that it can ONLY exist as an arbitrary assertion, but it's canon.
« Last Edit: 29 July 2023, 10:35:37 by Cannonshop »
"If you have to ask permission, then it's no longer a Right, it has been turned into a Privilege-something that can be and will be taken from you when convenient."

Church14

• Lieutenant
« Reply #451 on: 29 July 2023, 10:39:43 »
I think he's referring to Stone's Relocation Program, which is more of an example of a writer not paying attention to either human nature or history.  "mass voluntary movement" doesn't tend to go smoothly nor does it tend to be truly voluntary anywhere EXCEPT fiction.  The problem being that there's official canon insisting it WAS voluntary, rather than the obvious 'voluntoldy' that would have to actually happen to avoid major civil chaos, civil disagreement, followed by loss of civility and civil war.  The partition of India is a more accurate example of what REALLY happens.  (it very nearly broke India as a nation with civil war before the ink was fully dry on the british pull-out.)  The other historical example, would be Tito's relocation and ethnic mixing policies, which gave everyone the spectacle of the Yugoslavian Wars of the 1990s.

*Wars that featured Ethnic Cleansing and other atrocities at civilians by their neighbors...

You can interpret the statement as "more hating on the Republic", and be completely valid in doing so, since the whole situation is very "Fasanomiks" in tone-something so contrary to human nature and history that it can ONLY exist as an arbitrary assertion, but it's canon.

Oh. I was fairly sure that’s what was being referred to. I wanted to hear how that was in any way, shape, or form ethnic cleansing. It read like another person who is leaning on what they heard second or third hand from people who really hate the faction.

And is the relocation program silly and in defiance of in universe logistics? Sure. But it’s far from the only thing that is.

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #452 on: 29 July 2023, 13:05:04 »
Oh. I was fairly sure that’s what was being referred to. I wanted to hear how that was in any way, shape, or form ethnic cleansing. It read like another person who is leaning on what they heard second or third hand from people who really hate the faction.

And is the relocation program silly and in defiance of in universe logistics? Sure. But it’s far from the only thing that is.

Indeed, one of the major problem tropes in Battletech, is that the writers often forget the rules the universe claims to obey-like the speed of information when your HPG network's down, or how long it takes to move a message by jumpship chain, or how current that informatoin can actually be, or...

but we put up with it as fans.  Which is why I'm more or less neutral on the question raised, you know and I know that the canon assertion is bullshit, but it IS the Canon.

until another writer changes it.  There are a lot of things like that-the lackluster 'defense' in Hour of the Wolf, the outcome of said lackluster defense being "Look kids, New Mercenaries!!" instead of...y'know, those soldiers turning to evict the invaders from their home, where their families live.

after all, why would a soldier from an all volunteer army give two shits that while they were deployed fighting the Draconis Combine, a bunch of social-fascist psychopaths conquered their homeworld?  There's Moneh out there fighting for someone ELSE!!

no reason to want to defend (or avenge) mom and dad, or sissy and the kids or god help you, your wife and your own kids, just go merc! yeah!!  who needs family or friends or anyone you might've joined up to protect, right??

right.  Screw them, they can be slaves to the Clans.

which is what is actually happening in the canon.  People who don't act like people is a staple of the setting.

"If you have to ask permission, then it's no longer a Right, it has been turned into a Privilege-something that can be and will be taken from you when convenient."

Metallgewitter

• Captain
« Reply #453 on: 29 July 2023, 14:07:59 »

From the FM 3085 it was a mixture of both: yes there were a lot of volunteers but Stone also had to send in the military to enforce the quotas. Which in return caused a small form of "rebellion" within the senate and also on the planets. Stone insisted on the relocations stating they would bring benfits in the long run but also had to add a time limit to those relocations. The idea behind it isn't that bad but as you said it tends to ignore human nature. Perhaps a better example are the riots that broke the Starleague in Exile as said groups began to clash with their cultural rivals

Retry

• Lieutenant
« Reply #454 on: 29 July 2023, 14:52:30 »
The idea behind it isn't that bad but as you said it tends to ignore human nature.
Ok, but that sentence kind of self-contradicts itself.

Stormlion1

• Colonel
  • Apparently Im a rare survivor of the 1st!
« Reply #455 on: 29 July 2023, 15:01:39 »
Well, those mysterious attackers haven't been referenced in a long time, so they're not relevant to the plot by now and can be ignored. :lipsrsealed:

Until they show up out of the blue! Plus didn't they deploy unknown designs when they took direct actions?
I don't set an example for others. I make examples of them.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • Need a hand?
« Reply #456 on: 29 July 2023, 15:21:55 »
I don't recall whether they did or didn't.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Orwell84

• Lieutenant
« Reply #457 on: 29 July 2023, 16:55:29 »
I don't recall whether they did or didn't.

They did. Unknown battlesuit designs featured in the one attack caught on holovid.
All Clan totems are equal but some are more equal than others.

"The Succession Wars solved no problem. Their effects, both immediate and indirect, were either negative or disastrous. Morally subversive, economically destructive, socially degrading, confused in their causes, devious in their course, futile in their results, they are the outstanding example in Spheroid history of meaningless conflict."
The Third Star League's view of the Succession Wars, plagiarised from an ancient Terran historian's judgement of the Thirty Years War.

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #458 on: 29 July 2023, 18:38:34 »
Ok, but that sentence kind of self-contradicts itself.

The sentence is only self-contradictory if you count "results" instead of "Intentions".  The Policy was based on good intentions, but it ignored human nature and required Brutal results.

The old conflict between those who think "The ends Justify the Means" versus those who point out "The means you use, decides what Ends you have to Live with (or die from)".

Like certain socioeconomic theories and models that are only popular on college campuses or among activists of a particular type, the Intention is noble and good, the actions you have to take to implement them are...not so well and good to the point of undermining the noble outcome you were hoping to get (this is true of extremes on ALL points of the political map).

Having  to send in soldiers to enforce your "Voluntary" relocation policy means it's not voluntary at all, nor will it be evenly implemented (thus paving the way a few generations down the line for your next civil war or brutal economic collapse)  Those with influence will be spared the worst of it, those who have the unfortunate combination of having something to take (or lose) and not being influential or powerful enough to fight back (Whether in court, or with guns) successfully will suffer disproportionally.

None of which, is treated as relevant among the theorists pushing the policy if there's no strong opposition in the government, especially if said theorists outright believe that their noble ends justify nearly any means, and that 'by any means necessary' is a valid excuse.

As Comrade Stalin once famously said, "One innocent death is a tragedy, a million innocent deaths is a statistic."

Stormlion1

• Colonel
« Reply #459 on: 29 July 2023, 20:29:51 »
They did. Unknown battlesuit designs featured in the one attack caught on holovid.

Plus one of the recent sourcebooks even had a name for this group as coined by Victor S-D. I think he called them the Lions because he didn't have a better name. The interesting thing was the Lions were using a symbol of a serpent wrapped around a sword against a red disk.

tassa_kay

• Major
  • Karianna Schmitt has no time for your headcanon.
    • My Facebook page!
« Reply #460 on: 29 July 2023, 20:51:48 »

I'll bite.

The generally-agreed-upon definition of ethnic cleansing (bearing in mind that there is no agreed-upon legal definition) is the systematic forced removal of ethnic, racial, and religious groups from a given area, with the intent of making a region ethnically homogeneous. The Resettlement Act of 3082 had "non-insignificant percentages" of the several hundred million people who were relocated by 3085 doing so only under military force. And we already knew well before FM3085 gave us these details that the Republic's intent was to break up the old ethnic/cultural lines in order to bring about an end to the factionalism that led to outbreaks of war. Sure, the Republic got more mileage out of using the carrot than they did the stick, but they did use the stick.

Sounds like ethnic cleansing to me.
« Last Edit: 29 July 2023, 20:53:41 by tassa_kay »
"Social media made y'all way too comfortable with disrespecting people and not getting punched in the face for it." - Mike Tyson

My Personal Units: Thuggee Warrior House Nagah (Capellan Confederation), 29th Blood Drinkers (Clan Blood Spirit), Nightmare Galaxy (Clan Hell's Horses), 1st Raven Rook Cluster (Raven Alliance)
Favorite Factions: Capellan Confederation • Clan Blood Spirit • Clan Smoke Jaguar • Clan Hell's Horses • Raven Alliance • Fronc Reaches • Rim Worlds Republic • Magistracy of Canopus
Favorite Characters: Malvina Hazen • Kali Liao • Katherine Steiner-Davion • Anastasia Kerensky • Danai Liao-Centrella • Karianna Schmitt • Lady Death • Tara Campbell • Katana Tormark
Favorite Units: The Golden Ordun • Wolf Hunters • 1st Horde Cluster • 1st Rasalhague Bears • Thuggee Warrior Houses • Hikage • Raptor Keshik • Kara's Scorchers • 1st Star Sentinels

Church14

• Lieutenant
« Reply #461 on: 29 July 2023, 21:22:02 »
I'll bite.

The generally-agreed-upon definition of ethnic cleansing (bearing in mind that there is no agreed-upon legal definition) is the systematic forced removal of ethnic, racial, and religious groups from a given area, with the intent of making a region ethnically homogeneous. The Resettlement Act of 3082 had "non-insignificant percentages" of the several hundred million people who were relocated by 3085 doing so only under military force. And we already knew well before FM3085 gave us these details that the Republic's intent was to break up the old ethnic/cultural lines in order to bring about an end to the factionalism that led to outbreaks of war. Sure, the Republic got more mileage out of using the carrot than they did the stick, but they did use the stick.

It wasn’t to achieve homogeneity.

It also was almost entirely voluntary. Which I admittedly have issue with any of it being involuntary.

It wasn’t to remove an ethnic group from an area.

The goals were literally the opposite of ethnic cleansing. He tried to - for lack of less charged word - integrate the cultures of the sphere near Terra.

VanVelding

• Warrant Officer
    • Powered by Indifference, Focused by Caffeine
« Reply #462 on: 29 July 2023, 21:25:42 »
Plus one of the recent sourcebooks even had a name for this group as coined by Victor S-D. I think he called them the Lions because he didn't have a better name. The interesting thing was the Lions were using a symbol of a serpent wrapped around a sword against a red disk.
The secret organization which destabilized the "known galaxy" and then faded into total obscurity without ever capitalizing on their events had insignia?

It was a de facto attempt to create a novel culture via a fusion of cultures. By that logic, wouldn't any attempt to create something new be genocide by dint of having to replace what was already there? If an area is supremacist and xenophobic, isn't the attempt to soften those views also genocide?

If you move Combine culture off of planet A to planet B and leave Combine culture on Planet A and you now have it on Planet B, is that genocide?
Co-host of 17 to 01 and The Beige and The Bold. I also have a dusty old blog about whatever comes to mind vanvelding.blogspot.

tassa_kay

• Major
    • My Facebook page!
« Reply #463 on: 29 July 2023, 21:36:42 »
It wasn’t to achieve homogeneity.

That's exactly what it was for.

It also was almost entirely voluntary.

"not-insignificant percentages" tells me otherwise. The fact that military force was involved also tells me otherwise.

I did acknowledge that more of it was voluntary than not, but the argument can also be made that just because people went voluntarily doesn't mean that their going wasn't any less mandatory.

It wasn’t to remove an ethnic group from an area.

It was specifically to do that.

The goals were literally the opposite of ethnic cleansing. He tried to - for lack of less charged word - integrate the cultures of the sphere near Terra.

He tried to homogenize them, specifically targeting social and cultural makeup on Republic worlds. And used military force on those who did not willingly relocate. This is literally the definition of ethnic cleansing.

Just look at the Clans in the Republic. They started coalescing and factionalizing because they were feeling increasingly disconnected from their cultural heritage after two generations under Stone's policies, and were often the victims of prejudice and discrimination. Yet more evidence that Stone's policies amounted to ethnic cleansing.

I'll grant that Stone's intentions were good, because I believe they were, but at the end of the day, he used the military on his own citizens to force them to relocate. Call a spade a spade.
« Last Edit: 29 July 2023, 21:48:03 by tassa_kay »
"Social media made y'all way too comfortable with disrespecting people and not getting punched in the face for it." - Mike Tyson

My Personal Units: Thuggee Warrior House Nagah (Capellan Confederation), 29th Blood Drinkers (Clan Blood Spirit), Nightmare Galaxy (Clan Hell's Horses), 1st Raven Rook Cluster (Raven Alliance)
Favorite Factions: Capellan Confederation • Clan Blood Spirit • Clan Smoke Jaguar • Clan Hell's Horses • Raven Alliance • Fronc Reaches • Rim Worlds Republic • Magistracy of Canopus
Favorite Characters: Malvina Hazen • Kali Liao • Katherine Steiner-Davion • Anastasia Kerensky • Danai Liao-Centrella • Karianna Schmitt • Lady Death • Tara Campbell • Katana Tormark
Favorite Units: The Golden Ordun • Wolf Hunters • 1st Horde Cluster • 1st Rasalhague Bears • Thuggee Warrior Houses • Hikage • Raptor Keshik • Kara's Scorchers • 1st Star Sentinels

tassa_kay

• Major
    • My Facebook page!
« Reply #464 on: 29 July 2023, 21:42:33 »
It was a de facto attempt to create a novel culture via a fusion of cultures. By that logic, wouldn't any attempt to create something new be genocide by dint of having to replace what was already there? If an area is supremacist and xenophobic, isn't the attempt to soften those views also genocide?

If you move Combine culture off of planet A to planet B and leave Combine culture on Planet A and you now have it on Planet B, is that genocide?

If said culture doesn't wish to move and you use your military to move them, yes, that would be considered genocide.

Stormlion1

• Colonel
« Reply #465 on: 29 July 2023, 22:14:56 »
The secret organization which destabilized the "known galaxy" and then faded into total obscurity without ever capitalizing on their events had insignia?

Yes. It is canon though I think it predates the War of Reaving books. A early idea I think had the Clans being behind the events with the symbol representing at least two Clans. The Star Adders and the Blood Spirits. Not sure on the meaning behind the sword. All theory that though.

tassa_kay

• Major
    • My Facebook page!
« Reply #466 on: 29 July 2023, 22:41:57 »
Yes. It is canon though I think it predates the War of Reaving books. A early idea I think had the Clans being behind the events with the symbol representing at least two Clans. The Star Adders and the Blood Spirits. Not sure on the meaning behind the sword. All theory that though.

Yep, the insignia first appeared in the "Blood Avatar" novel, where it was even theorized in the book that some name or another could've been an anagram for Zadok, a minor Blood Spirit Bloodname. It was also detailed in the Dark Age Era Digest, where I think the "Lions" term was first used.

The big theory around here pre-WoR were that the Star Adders (the snake coiled around the sword), Blood Spirits (blood drop mentioned in the novel) and Goliath Scorpions (the sun-disk) were all represented on the emblem. Unfortunately, nothing ever came of that fun little nugget.

VanVelding

• Warrant Officer