Author Topic: Aviation Pictures: A-Seven-th Thread--CorsAirin' Through Time and Airspace  (Read 40016 times)

Failure16

• Captain
  • Better Days
EDIT: chanman, as ever, has beaten me to the punch. Sigh...  :laugh:

bordering on a rule 4 issue there, perhaps take it to PM's if you feel you have to hash it out?

Not really. I mention no countries nor political groups; I state a reality of the human condition. Wars will happen, and eventually they will be between peer-nations where the operational tempo is not controlled by one party because they are facing a lesser-equipped (but perhaps more motivated) enemy.

This is not a Rule 4 issue.

It is a statement of fact that if your combat aircraft cost umpteen tens or hundreds of millions of dollars, you will not be able to expend them at the rate of attrition we have seen in past conflicts. Modern combat equipment does not have to be lost due to enemy action alone. Pilot error or adverse operating conditions will take their toll every rotation, deployment, or year.

To whit: my express condolences to the families, friends, and comrades of the five US servicemembers who lost their lives in the Eastern Med yesterday. No information yet, but based on what has been released, I am expecting it to have been an E-2D.

« Last Edit: 12 November 2023, 19:04:07 by Failure16 »
Thought I might get a rocket ride when I was a child.          We are the wild youth,                                And through villages of ether
But it was a lie, that I told myself                                          Chasing visions of our futures.                   Oh, my crucifixion comes
When I needed something good.                                         One day we'll reveal the truth,                    Will you sing my hallelujah?
At 17, I had a better dream; now I'm 33, and it isn't me.      That one will die before he gets there.       Will you tell me when it's done?
But I'd think of something better if I could
                           --E. Tonra                                                      --C. Love
--A. Duritz

Failure16

• Captain
  • Better Days

"Is it just me, Sergeant, or is the cloud ceiling awfully...low...this morning?"
     "You'll be fine, Lieutenant. Just a bit of fog. Just, ah, be careful when you open the canopy. And be careful when you light her up; it's been a challenge to check for FOD. Don't worry about the missing rudder, either. The -15s are tough birds."
     "Umm. Okay...?"
     "Oh, and please sign for the aircraft here, here, and here, sir. I'll see you i--when, you get back."

Niiice image, chanman, Wherever did you find it?
« Last Edit: 12 November 2023, 19:13:56 by Failure16 »
Thought I might get a rocket ride when I was a child.          We are the wild youth,                                And through villages of ether
But it was a lie, that I told myself                                          Chasing visions of our futures.                   Oh, my crucifixion comes
When I needed something good.                                         One day we'll reveal the truth,                    Will you sing my hallelujah?
At 17, I had a better dream; now I'm 33, and it isn't me.      That one will die before he gets there.       Will you tell me when it's done?
--A. Duritz

Failure16

• Captain
  • Better Days
--A. Duritz

chanman

• Major
  • Architect of suffering
     "Is it just me, Sergeant, or is the cloud ceiling awfully...low...this morning?"
     "You'll be fine, Lieutenant. Just a bit of fog. Just, ah, be careful when you open the canopy. And be careful when you light her up; it's been a challenge to check for FOD. Don't worry about the missing rudder, either. The -15s are tough birds."
     "Umm. Okay...?"
     "Oh, and please sign for the aircraft here, here, and here, sir. I'll see you i--when, you get back."

Niiice image, chanman, Wherever did you find it?

Might as well list all the incidents:
1) 2008 B-2 crash - moisture ingress in skin sensors caused a FBW malfunction at takeoff. This is the only total loss of a B-2 (but not the only instance of damage). Crew ejected and survived
2) Aftermath of Hurricane Michael in 2018 when it hit AFB Tyndall. All the airworthy F-22s were evacuated, but obviously, not every plane is able to fly at every moment and 17 were left behind
3) There are numerous documented instances of fire suppression systems going off (I just searched for that and USAF). This one supposedly happened at Elgin in 2012 and was set off by sparks from a welder.  https://www.firefighterclosecalls.com/foam-system-discharges-accidentially-at-elgin-afb-hanger-oops/ There was another incident in 2014 that resulted in the death of a contractor
4) Belgian F-16 negligent discharge by mechanic and just so happened to hit another F-16 in 2018. https://theaviationist.com/2018/10/14/f-16-completely-destroyed-by-another-f-16-after-mechanic-accidentally-fires-cannon-on-the-ground-in-belgium/
5) 2016 at Guam. Crew claimed B-52H suffered numerous bird strikes at take off and aborted the takeoff. The drag chute malfunctioned resulting it overrunning the runway. 1 minor injury. The article linked says the investigation didn't turn up bird remnants, and the wings are about the most intact bits left, so who knows what spooked the crew into aborting the take off. https://taskandpurpose.com/tech-tactics/birds-b-52-bomber-crash-guam/

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
F16's comments about a military using overly expensive equipment it can't afford to replace in combat is something that had been in the back of my head with the Serednya Slaviyan military, which had a microscopic budget compared to most nations and left me stuck with mechanized and light infantry more or less making up the whole force.  If you can't afford to lose it, you can't afford to use it, and that really shaped making that army...which has been in my head some more and won't be quiet.  I may resurrect that thread...meanwhile let's be on topic.

A quarter of a billion dollars of airplane there...
Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen,
Tod und Verzweiflung flammet um mich her!
Fühlt nicht durch dich Jadefalke Todesschmerzen,
So bist du meine Tochter nimmermehr!

Failure16

• Captain
  • Better Days
Might as well list all the incidents:
1) 2008 B-2 crash - moisture ingress in skin sensors caused a FBW malfunction at takeoff. This is the only total loss of a B-2 (but not the only instance of damage). Crew ejected and survived
2) Aftermath of Hurricane Michael in 2018 when it hit AFB Tyndall. All the airworthy F-22s were evacuated, but obviously, not every plane is able to fly at every moment and 17 were left behind
3) There are numerous documented instances of fire suppression systems going off (I just searched for that and USAF). This one supposedly happened at Elgin in 2012 and was set off by sparks from a welder.  https://www.firefighterclosecalls.com/foam-system-discharges-accidentially-at-elgin-afb-hanger-oops/ There was another incident in 2014 that resulted in the death of a contractor
4) Belgian F-16 negligent discharge by mechanic and just so happened to hit another F-16 in 2018. https://theaviationist.com/2018/10/14/f-16-completely-destroyed-by-another-f-16-after-mechanic-accidentally-fires-cannon-on-the-ground-in-belgium/
5) 2016 at Guam. Crew claimed B-52H suffered numerous bird strikes at take off and aborted the takeoff. The drag chute malfunctioned resulting it overrunning the runway. 1 minor injury. The article linked says the investigation didn't turn up bird remnants, and the wings are about the most intact bits left, so who knows what spooked the crew into aborting the take off. https://taskandpurpose.com/tech-tactics/birds-b-52-bomber-crash-guam/

Cheers. I remember the Belgian shootdown and have seen the B-52 image, but the rest are new to me, so thanks.

Kamas, it's not about losing them per se (it's going to happen), it's about being able to replace them within the confines of the war that concerns me most.

And, because this is a Corsairin' type of thread, have eleven in the air at one time. Michigan, 2019:

https://www.bing.com/videos/riverview/relatedvideo?q=airshow%20footage&mid=BC6B0985830A1BC87202BC6B0985830A1BC87202&ajaxhist=0
--A. Duritz

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
Only a quarter of a billion, Kamas?  That's a BARGAIN these days... ;)

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
F16, I see what you mean.  It doesn't help your military when it takes too long to build replacement equipment for combat losses...and as the RU-UA war shows, combat losses will come rapidly in a near-peer situation.  If you can't replace your losses in time, you won't have an army to fight with.

Daryk, I think that quarter billion was the combo-meal discount version!

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
Combo-meals are bargain basement these days... ;)

chanman

• Major
  • Architect of suffering
Only a quarter of a billion, Kamas?  That's a BARGAIN these days... ;)

It's honestly probably even less. Capital depreciation is a thing and the USAF's fleet isn't young and has been run hard. That and unlike the ANG or some foreign users, they've had upgrades back burnered in favour of other platforms. They might have plenty of life yet. Or they might have so many hours now that they already have an appointment with the boneyard or in line for target drone conversion.

chanman

• Major
  • Architect of suffering
35% scale model B-29 first flight: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZQyTTQLI10

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
I'm just wondering how the pilot gets in and out!

chanman

• Major
  • Architect of suffering
I'm just wondering how the pilot gets in and out!

Looks like a side hatch on the left.

Also, it's claimed its first victim: a golf cart
https://aviation-safety.net/wikibase/347642

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
There was a mention about that in the YouTube comments, but no links or anything...

chanman

• Major
  • Architect of suffering
There was a mention about that in the YouTube comments, but no links or anything...

From the accident report, ironically enough

P-51C Mustang. The US never formally adopted the Malcolm hood (think Spitfires or F4U Corsairs) for them, but the British made a field refit kit, and some US units in Europe acquired them. The framed canopy definitely gives them a bit more of a P-40 or Me109 feel, especially with the squared off wing and tail

P-51B and C were essentially the same, just from different factories. A B/C with the Malcolm hood and a pair of D's

A Commonwealth Mustang. I think this one might have been Aussie-made?

The adorable Flying Legend scale model Tucano replica

Go fast. Mike Patey's 'Turbulence' a custom racer built out of a Lancair Legacy kit plane with a 850 horsepower PT6 turboprop up front. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=osYWr67CoOg
Had a catastrophic engine failure en route to Oshkosh this year. I think the image might be an earlier iteration? I've seen videos/photos of one of his planes also named Turbulence that looks like the same setup but from years ago.

Another seriously fast plane. Performance Turbine Legend (listed as Ackland Turbine Legend at Airliners.net). Another composite kit plane (this one looks to have far fewer built) and very high performance. Original engine looks like is a 575hp Chevy V8 (obviously that one isn't a turbine), but C-GUTT has a turboprop.

In 2003 with winglets and a PT6

By 2007, the winglets have been removed, and judging by the reprofiled cowling and relocated exhaust, has swapped the PT6 for a more fuel efficient and powerful Garrett

By 2013, it's got the snazzy camo, which seems to still be what it looks like currently.

Both it and the turbine Lancairs are seriously fast planes - slick, and even skinnier with tandem seating on the Turbine Legend, and without any of the combat gear of a WW2 fighter - hundreds of pounds of weapons and armour, and with far smaller wings for maximum speed and efficiency over maneuverability or external payload. They only weigh 1-1.5 tonnes, whereas even an early-warly Spitfire is over 2.5 tonnes loaded, and the last ones were at 4.5 tonnes.
« Last Edit: 13 November 2023, 20:53:45 by chanman »

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
Someone made a scale model Tucano? ???

I didn't think they'd been around that long or had that much appeal!

Failure16

• Captain
  • Better Days
Those are nice, and very interesting private planes.

In sadder news, it appears that the aircraft lost in the Med was a special operations helo, an MH-60:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/us-special-ops-aviators-who-fly-delta-force-door-kickers-killed-in-crash-in-eastern-mediterranean/ar-AA1jRasc?ocid=msedgntp&pc=HCTS&cvid=a6313171859349e18cddc86cabf52abb&ei=13

So, not at all the E-2D I posited earlier. I wish they would have said it was just a Blackhawk and left it at that. But, you know, OPSEC is just a suggestion nowadays.

Either way, condolences to all affected.
« Last Edit: 13 November 2023, 21:15:14 by Failure16 »
--A. Duritz

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
Some of us (at least) are working to bring OPSEC back as more than a suggestion...

Failure16

• Captain
  • Better Days
Some of us (at least) are working to bring OPSEC back as more than a suggestion...

Bless you, brother.
--A. Duritz

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
We need all the help we can get!

Euphonium

• Captain
  • Look Ma, no Faction!
Video of a light plane that overshot the runway and hit a passing car.
Fortunately the report states that no one was seriously injured.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/world-us-canada-67411262
>>>>[You're only jealous because the voices don't talk to you]<<<<

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
Yikes!  That could have been SO much worse!

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
The YF-32 after several iterations of mission creep and performance changes.

Sabelkatten

• Lieutenant Colonel

Seems legit! :cheesy:

Elmoth

• Major
  • Periphery fanboy
Ugly as hell

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • Need a hand?

That is one huge air intake.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

chanman

• Major
  • Architect of suffering
The other de Havilland Comet - the DH.88 Comet racing plane

chanman

• Major
  • Architect of suffering
Pushers. I get the feeling that there was a moment in the early-mid 80s where a number of plane designers got really infatuated with the Kyushu J7W Shinden and the pusher/canard layout.

Avtek 400 prototype - designed by Al Mooney (maybe better known for his general aviation aircraft) in his final years. Made an appearance in Airwolf

AASI Jetcruzer - a few prototypes made, but I think it got held up getting certification. It looks a bit like a small single-engined Starship

OMAC Laser 300. 3 built in the early 80s. Similar story to Jetcruzer

And of course, Beech Starship

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
Man, some of those planes must have parked for a WHILE.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • Need a hand?
And another pusher, the Rutan Long-EX.  Probably best known for being the plane that John Denver died in.

Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman