Author Topic: total and utter hatred for one mech  (Read 8944 times)

Tyler Jorgensson

• Captain
Re: total and utter hatred for one mech
« Reply #30 on: 31 October 2023, 12:17:18 »
There should be a link to that story somewhere... at least one whole generation of players hasn't heard it... ;)

IIRC: JHB had a whole page dedicated to Hellbie Dice on one meme page or another at one point. I. Can’t remember which.

Lone-Wolf

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #31 on: 31 October 2023, 12:35:44 »
This. My son used a Nova constantly in our Alpha Strike games until I got so tired of facing it that I told him he had to pick something else.

So of course he picked a Supernova, LOL!

Why do you complain?
He DID take another mech.

Maybe next time you should be more specific.

Natasha Kerensky

• Major
  • Queen of Spades, First Lady of Death, Black Widow
« Reply #32 on: 31 October 2023, 15:25:26 »
This. My son used a Nova constantly in our Alpha Strike games until I got so tired of facing it that I told him he had to pick something else.

Someone tell this kid about the Sphinx…
"Ah, yes.  The belle dame sans merci.  The sweet young thing who will blast your nuts off.  The kitten with a whip.  That mystique?"
"Slavish adherence to formal ritual is a sign that one has nothing better to think about."
"Variety is the spice of battle."
"I've fought in... what... a hundred battles, a thousand battles?  It could be a million as far as I know.  I've fought for anybody who offered a decent contract and a couple who didn't.  And the universe is not much different after all that.  I could go on fighting for another hundred years and it would still look the same."
"I'm in mourning for my life."
"Those who break faith with the Unity shall go down into darkness."

The Eagle

• Captain
  • This is what peak performance looks like!
« Reply #33 on: 31 October 2023, 16:23:01 »
The UrbanMech.  I disliked it before the memes made it cool, though.  It's trash and no amount of memes and merch will make me ever take one.

It was literally the first thing I sold when I got my CI KS shipment.
RIP Dan Schulz, 09 November 2009.  May the Albatross ever fly high.

Hit me up for BattleTech in the WV Panhandle!

cray

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • How's it sit? Pretty cunning, don't you think?
« Reply #34 on: 31 October 2023, 16:48:48 »
LAMs with pulse lasers. I had a very traumatic, death-by-1000-papercuts battle against one. My ultimate custom 3 BFG 100-ton 'Mech was slowly gutted from the back to death by a LAM with pulse lasers.

I had agreed to the battle misunderstanding that pulse lasers were -1 to hit (a rulebook review ended that hope) and assuming a few hits from my Gauss rifles and UAC/20 would end it.

No, when the LAM lost initiative it ran and hid behind hills, which I couldn't lumber to fast enough. When it won, it would jump behind my back and I only had one arm-mounted BFG (a Gauss) to wave in its general direction. But its movement mods and my minimum range meant I couldn't hit.

Modern rules have nerfed a lot of the jump jet and LAM abuse, but that secured my LAM hate.
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

**"A man walks down the street in that hat, people know he's not afraid of anything." --Wash, Firefly.
**"Well, the first class name [for pocket WarShips]: 'Ship with delusions of grandeur that is going to evaporate 3.1 seconds after coming into NPPC range' tended to cause morale problems...." --Korzon77
**"Describe the Clans." "Imagine an entire civilization built out of 80’s Ric Flairs, Hulk Hogans, & Macho Man Randy Savages ruling over an entire labor force with Einstein Level Intelligence." --Jake Mikolaitis

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #35 on: 31 October 2023, 18:06:32 »
Sorry to hear it... LAMs are where warfare should have gone... ;)

Lorcan Nagle

• 75 tons of heavy metal mayhem
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
« Reply #36 on: 31 October 2023, 18:12:29 »
IIRC: JHB had a whole page dedicated to Hellbie Dice on one meme page or another at one point. I. Can’t remember which.

It's on one of the BattleTech pages at TVTropes, IIRC.
The moderator formerly known as the user formerly known as nenechan

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #37 on: 31 October 2023, 18:13:39 »
A link would be nice, if you can find it... :)

Tyler Jorgensson

• Captain
« Reply #38 on: 31 October 2023, 18:49:56 »
« Last Edit: 31 October 2023, 18:51:52 by Tyler Jorgensson »

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #39 on: 31 October 2023, 19:22:02 »
Perfect, thanks! :)

elf25s

• Major
« Reply #40 on: 01 November 2023, 07:39:29 »
LAMs with pulse lasers. I had a very traumatic, death-by-1000-papercuts battle against one. My ultimate custom 3 BFG 100-ton 'Mech was slowly gutted from the back to death by a LAM with pulse lasers.

I had agreed to the battle misunderstanding that pulse lasers were -1 to hit (a rulebook review ended that hope) and assuming a few hits from my Gauss rifles and UAC/20 would end it.

No, when the LAM lost initiative it ran and hid behind hills, which I couldn't lumber to fast enough. When it won, it would jump behind my back and I only had one arm-mounted BFG (a Gauss) to wave in its general direction. But its movement mods and my minimum range meant I couldn't hit.

Modern rules have nerfed a lot of the jump jet and LAM abuse, but that secured my LAM hate.
i feel you but it was a first game i was teaching my oldest to play and that was now over 8 years back she did something similar spider which she picked and a grasshopper which i picked...needless to say dice loved her from the start  about 6 rounds and she head capped my grasshopper. the victory dance she did was epic!
you sure cannot out run death...but sure as hell you can make that bastard work for it!

Kit deSummersville

• Precentor of Lies
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • The epicness continues!
    • Insights and Complaints on Twitter
« Reply #41 on: 01 November 2023, 07:58:37 »
Hellstar. The single most boring mech in the entire game. If you can play a mech while asleep, are you even really playing?

I think Jason Schmetzer gave me the Quasimodo entry just because of my pitch of it taking down a Hellstar.
Looking for an official answer? Check the Catalyst Interaction Forums.

Freelancer for hire, not an official CGL or IMR representative.

Everyone else's job is easy, so tell them how to do it, everyone loves that!

Millard Fillmore's favorite BattleTech writer.

klarg1

• Captain
« Reply #42 on: 01 November 2023, 09:27:32 »
Hellstar. The single most boring mech in the entire game. If you can play a mech while asleep, are you even really playing?

I completely agree that the Hellstar is criminally boring, but I have trouble mustering much of an emotional response for pretty much the same reason.

I just sort of forget about it unless it’s actually staring at me from across the field.
« Last Edit: 18 December 2023, 10:49:23 by klarg1 »

Generalstoner

• Corporal
  • "Iron Within. Iron Without."
« Reply #43 on: 01 November 2023, 10:19:12 »
The Blitzkrieg.  We hates it!  It is not a particularly good mech but what it does is chose a single mech and deletes it.

Many a game my friend, who is a Lyman player, takes one with an elite pilot where it swoops in and guts a single mech of mine before itself is destroyed.

You can not stop it, you can only hope to contain it.
Twelve Highlanders and a Bagpipe make a Rebellion.

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Fight for something or Die for nothing
    • The Steel-Raven at DeviantArt
« Reply #44 on: 01 November 2023, 13:16:11 »
Hellstar.

Whenever people have asked why the Regent or Awesome didn't just get quad Clan PPC set up, I tried to remind them of the hatred some have for the Hellstar. I don't share this hated as this was the fan build for the Warhawk and Marauder IIC prior to the Hellstart getting proper BT stats but consider there is a YT video about the Hellstar that just the narrator repeating "I hate it" over and over for about a minute, I can see some designs consciously avoid making a similar design.   

As earlier, I just hate the attitude that seems to come with LAMs. There is a clique in the community that seems to hate anything seemingly anime, posting "keep that ****** crap out of Battletech" but in the same breath talking about how the old LAMs should come back... apparently Macross is not a anime...     
Battletech Art and Commissions
http://steel-raven.deviantart.com

Charistoph

• Major
« Reply #45 on: 01 November 2023, 14:37:08 »
As earlier, I just hate the attitude that seems to come with LAMs. There is a clique in the community that seems to hate anything seemingly anime, posting "keep that ****** crap out of Battletech" but in the same breath talking about how the old LAMs should come back... apparently Macross is not a anime...   

I just think they want the Heatless Jump of 18 to come back.  Let's face it, that ability is incredibly broken.
Are you a Wolf, a Sheep, or a Hound?
Quote from: Megavolt
They called me crazy…they called me insane…THEY CALLED ME LOONEY!! and boy, were they right.

Charistoph's Painted Products of Mechanical Mayhem

guardiandashi

• Major
« Reply #46 on: 01 November 2023, 14:45:00 »
I just think they want the Heatless Jump of 18 to come back.  Let's face it, that ability is incredibly broken.
no CANON LAM ever had an 18 hex jump they may had 18 movement points to jump with but they have to take off and land to jump, or they fly like a VTOL which are mutually exclusive

B.Denton

• Recruit
« Reply #47 on: 01 November 2023, 14:53:40 »

Haha! That's hilarious
I had one friend who would always bring a Nova, and I got so sick of it. One day we decided to play a 1v1 game with our medium mech of choice. He brought his Nova, I brought my Bushwacker, but to change things up I made it the BSW-L1. I got a couple of hits on him from a distance with the ER Large Laser, trying to kite him and let him think it was the same old variant I usually bring, and when he got close I smacked him in the center torso with a slug from the LB 20-X AC. He failed his PSR and fell flat on his back, and then I finished him off the next turn with a cluster shot getting gyro crits.
It was the most satisfying thing ever.

Charistoph

• Major
« Reply #48 on: 01 November 2023, 15:26:40 »
no CANON LAM ever had an 18 hex jump they may had 18 movement points to jump with but they have to take off and land to jump, or they fly like a VTOL which are mutually exclusive

When the very first paragraph in the Tactical Handbook (pg 49) says, "An AirMech's Jumping MP is three times its Jumping MP in BattleMech mode", it's an 18 hex Jump.  When the next paragraph states, "A player landing an AirMech after a JUMP..." (emphasis mine), than its an 18 hex Jump.  They just don't have to immediately land and there is more internal cost involved.

And applying it to VTOL movement is still better than the WiGE Movement they have now.
They called me crazy…they called me insane…THEY CALLED ME LOONEY!! and boy, were they right.

Wolf72

• Captain
« Reply #49 on: 01 November 2023, 15:27:59 »
Warhammer IIC. After a long-ago experience that scarred me for life on Mechwarrior 2, I havean irrational fear and loathing of that Mech.

I adore them, don't get me wrong, but... fear.

The 6 PML are a monster on that thing.  One of the few times I was able to take on brother and win ... he blew off both my arms, but I closed and just laser machine-gunned him down. (I miss MW2, heck I miss more geek time!)
"We're caught in the moon's gravitational pull, what do we do?!"

CI KS #1357; Merc KS #9798

"We're sending a squad up."

guardiandashi

• Major
« Reply #50 on: 01 November 2023, 17:03:08 »
When the very first paragraph in the Tactical Handbook (pg 49) says, "An AirMech's Jumping MP is three times its Jumping MP in BattleMech mode", it's an 18 hex Jump.  When the next paragraph states, "A player landing an AirMech after a JUMP..." (emphasis mine), than its an 18 hex Jump.  They just don't have to immediately land and there is more internal cost involved.

And applying it to VTOL movement is still better than the WiGE Movement they have now.
you are forgetting the 2? or 4? MP to take off and land which means if they start on the ground and end on the ground (a jump) they can move a maximum of 10-14 hexes not 18 which granted is still a lot. but as I said there is no canon lam that really can jump 18 hexes

Charistoph

• Major
« Reply #51 on: 01 November 2023, 17:09:44 »
you are forgetting the 2? or 4? MP to take off and land which means if they start on the ground and end on the ground (a jump) they can move a maximum of 10-14 hexes not 18 which granted is still a lot. but as I said there is no canon lam that really can jump 18 hexes

But they don't have to land, either, so 18 hexes.  I know that could be argued as Flight, but considering the rules don't tell the difference, and it was more that feeling of being able to literally go anywhere on 75% of a mapsheet, instead of having to spend 5 MP to go aloft, was more to the point

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • It's a gator with a nuke, whats the problem.
« Reply #52 on: 01 November 2023, 17:25:26 »
I don't hate really any mechs. There are some mechs that are just crap, and you would really never use even if you had one on your list.
Walking the fine line between sarcasm and being a smart-ass

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #53 on: 01 November 2023, 18:34:17 »
i feel you but it was a first game i was teaching my oldest to play and that was now over 8 years back she did something similar spider which she picked and a grasshopper which i picked...needless to say dice loved her from the start  about 6 rounds and she head capped my grasshopper. the victory dance she did was epic!
That is a well-earned victory dance, and that it was EPIC is SO apropos! ;D

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • Need a hand?
« Reply #54 on: 03 November 2023, 00:17:46 »

I played a Hellstar once before banishing it to the Shelf Of Shame.  It really is the most boring mech in existence.

Here's another mech I hate with a seething passion: the Shadow Hawk 2D.  Somehow, someone managed to take a stock Succession Wars Shadow Hawk and make it worse.  I don't understand how that was possible, or why they did it, but I can only hope that in-universe the designer was thrown out an airlock.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Fight for something or Die for nothing
    • The Steel-Raven at DeviantArt
« Reply #55 on: 03 November 2023, 00:27:12 »
Here's another mech I hate with a seething passion: the Shadow Hawk 2D.  Somehow, someone managed to take a stock Succession Wars Shadow Hawk and make it worse.  I don't understand how that was possible, or why they did it, but I can only hope that in-universe the designer was thrown out an airlock.
Think it's proof someone at Fasa never play tested their designs (or never played at all)
Battletech Art and Commissions
http://steel-raven.deviantart.com

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • Need a hand?
« Reply #56 on: 03 November 2023, 00:29:53 »
Probably.  I've somehow managed to pull that walking garbage pile in grinders on multiple occasions.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #57 on: 03 November 2023, 03:24:17 »
At least you didn't have to play it long... ;D

Col Toda

• Captain
« Reply #58 on: 03 November 2023, 07:45:32 »
The Thanatos consistently under performs . Got rid of all my minis of them .

Geg

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
    • Jade Corsair
« Reply #59 on: 03 November 2023, 11:15:32 »
By this point, Urbanmech's. The meme has reached the point of making me angry when I see them.

It's even worse when its new or extremely mediocre players and the whole game devolves into a multi-hour stomp that leaves nobody happy, because they just couldn't get their game wining Urbie into play.

Register