Author Topic: total and utter hatred for one mech  (Read 8940 times)

elf25s

• Major
total and utter hatred for one mech
« on: 25 October 2023, 23:19:31 »
when i used to play and had time to play it was the locust and players that spammed the game with them

today  i played mw5 with mods
and i met my newest hatred on two legs...
cicada kitted out with flamers...who ever came up with that one should get whipping from their dad!
why i hate it? ran into one on few missions thing got close gave me a hot foot baked me so high my ammo overcooked and of course guess who went boom? had to re do the mission 9 times....9 times!
any one has a mech they unreasonably hate in board game or vid game?

you sure cannot out run death...but sure as hell you can make that bastard work for it!

BATTLEMASTER

• Captain
  • Hot and Unbothered
Re: total and utter hatred for one mech
« Reply #1 on: 26 October 2023, 08:37:19 »
No-Dachi NDA-2K and 2KO - those things are vicious.
BATTLEMASTER
Trombone Player, Lego Enthusiast, Engineer
Clan Smoke Jaguar, Delta Galaxy ("The Cloud Rangers"), 4th Jaguar Dragoons
"You better stand back, I'm not sure how loud this thing can get!"
If you like Lego, you'll like my Lego battlemech projects!

Church14

• Lieutenant
« Reply #2 on: 26 October 2023, 10:18:55 »
Sentinel. I play CS whenever I can, so I field it a fair amount and it has batted almost zero in every match for years.

VensersRevenge

• Lieutenant
  • Is this the real life...
« Reply #3 on: 26 October 2023, 15:00:23 »
By this point, Urbanmech's. The meme has reached the point of making me angry when I see them.
...Is this just fantasy?
Warship Arms Race III
https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=84031.0

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Fight for something or Die for nothing
    • The Steel-Raven at DeviantArt
« Reply #4 on: 26 October 2023, 15:18:19 »
By this point, Urbanmech's. The meme has reached the point of making me angry when I see them.

... I won't say I hate the Ubermech it self but I do hate those few fellows who snub everyone else's mech of choice for one reason or another then but the Urbie on a pedestal. Considering how these personalities nitpick a design to death, talking up the Urbie stops sounds like modesty or a jab at humor and more like a insult. 
Battletech Art and Commissions
http://steel-raven.deviantart.com

Pat Payne

• Lieutenant
  • 352nd Combat Group -- Ex cinis ad astra
« Reply #5 on: 26 October 2023, 20:50:11 »
The. Bloody. Piranha.

This is a bundle of nasty that should not be. In more than one Alpha Strike game, I've had those swift little bastards sweep in and with a couple of lucky shots take out an Awesome. AN AWESOME!. It's gotten to where I could be facing down an Atlas and a BattleMaster also, and I'd STILL try to kill the Piranha first. Rackin-frackin' machine guns...  :cussing:

But then again, this is because I'm on the receiving end of the tender mercies of this light 'mech, I'm pretty sure it is concentrated awesome to those who favor it  :grin:
« Last Edit: 26 October 2023, 20:53:17 by Pat Payne »

Starfury

• Lieutenant
« Reply #6 on: 26 October 2023, 21:48:40 »
The Quickdraw in Classic. It has effectively 2 good variants, is rarely worth the investment in BV, and somehow still survives to the present day. The rear firing medium lasers are a mistake, even in introtech as jumping into a formation means nothing if the enemy can hit you.  When lostech arrives, let alone Clan tech, the Quickdraw is even more outclassed. Save the BV and buy another Wolverine, a Ostol, Ostroc or a Grasshopper.

B.Denton

• Recruit
« Reply #7 on: 26 October 2023, 22:28:16 »
The Nova/Black Hawk. Just about any medium laser boat is unimaginative and munchkiny after they mount a certain number of them, but this one takes it way too far.

GRUD

• Captain
  • Quinn's Quads - 'Mechs on the March!
« Reply #8 on: 27 October 2023, 01:51:28 »
In the HBS BattleTech PC Game, I've come to hate the Firestarter.  Got shutdown 2 or 3 times in Skirmish games, after firing and then being torched, so whenever I'd encounter one I'd destroy it over ANYTHING else!   :evil:

No "Hate" for it otherwise, but can't remember ever encountering one in a TT game.

And I agree about the Urbie.   :tongue:  While I've no "Hate" for it (YET!), I could care less about the plushie, the Urbie Lance Pack, the Urbie Company Pack, the Urbie underoos, the Urbie dustmop, the Urbie lampshade, or the Urbie throw rug.   :rolleyes:  It's NOT that good of a 'Mech, yet if you mention that, people nearly always will mention the Arrow IV Variant that can lob Nukes.  Because the ability to lob Nukes somehow transforms a Shit 'Mech into an Uber 'Mech?  It's like saying, "This I.S. design sucks, but the Clan Version is what it "Should" have been from the beginning!", as far as I'm concerned.  If your 'Mech HAS to use Clan Tech to be decent, it's a lousy design, period.
To me, Repros are 100% Wrong, and there's NO  room for me to give ground on this subject. I'm not just an Immovable Object on this, I'm THE Immovable Object. 3D Prints are just 3D Repros.

Something to bear in Mind. Defending the BT IP is Frowned upon here.

Remember: Humor is NOT Tolerated here. Have a Nice Day!

Hey! Can't a guy get any Privacy around here!

Sir Chaos

• Captain
  • Artillery Fanboy
« Reply #9 on: 27 October 2023, 06:27:40 »
In the HBS BattleTech PC Game, I've come to hate the Firestarter.  Got shutdown 2 or 3 times in Skirmish games, after firing and then being torched, so whenever I'd encounter one I'd destroy it over ANYTHING else!   :evil:

I hear you.

And it´s not just getting shut down - it´s also that you´re very likely to suffer internal damage in ALL locations, which means the mech needs repairs afterwards, even if it´s otherwise intact.
"Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl."
-Frederick the Great

"Ultima Ratio Regis" ("The Last Resort of the King")
- Inscription on cannon barrel, 18th century

elf25s

• Major
« Reply #10 on: 27 October 2023, 07:05:47 »
so my hatred of one mech is not unusual
on mega mek i think archer any variant earned a particular spot for me that bastard zombie mech just refuses to die. i mean i poinded d that thing to dust  to no weapons ammo blow half torso is gone and one leg  one arm no armor and still manages to pinch me in a head smearing my pilot over the cockpit.
you sure cannot out run death...but sure as hell you can make that bastard work for it!

JadeHellbringer

• Easily Bribed Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #11 on: 27 October 2023, 07:55:18 »
Warhammer IIC. After a long-ago experience that scarred me for life on Mechwarrior 2, I havean irrational fear and loathing of that Mech.

I adore them, don't get me wrong, but... fear.
"There's a difference between the soldier and his fight,
But the warrior knows the true meaning of his life."
+Larry and his Flask, 'Blood Drunk'+

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

Weirdo

• Painter of Borth the Magic Puma
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major General
  • We can do it. We have to.
    • Christina Dickinson Writes
« Reply #12 on: 27 October 2023, 07:58:22 »
Hellstar. The single most boring mech in the entire game. If you can play a mech while asleep, are you even really playing?
My wife writes books

Sixteen tons means sixteen suits. CT must be repaired.

"Damn you, Weirdo... Damn you for being right!" - Paul

Nastyogre

• Warrant Officer
  • Sons of the Suns, Defend your homes!
« Reply #13 on: 27 October 2023, 08:59:32 »
The Quickdraw in Classic. It has effectively 2 good variants, is rarely worth the investment in BV, and somehow still survives to the present day. The rear firing medium lasers are a mistake, even in introtech as jumping into a formation means nothing if the enemy can hit you.  When lostech arrives, let alone Clan tech, the Quickdraw is even more outclassed. Save the BV and buy another Wolverine, a Ostol, Ostroc or a Grasshopper.
I loathe them as well. Not entirely useless, but not good. Best used as a phyical bully for lighter mechs/ (12 point kick)

Karasu

• Mecharcheologist by appointment
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #14 on: 27 October 2023, 09:36:09 »
I played a game with speedy Clan 'Mechs and one of the enemy was an Archer 5CS, with Thunder ammo.  By part way through the game, I felt like half the map was minefields.  And it just wouldn't die.

JadeHellbringer

• Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #15 on: 27 October 2023, 12:32:44 »
Hellstar. The single most boring mech in the entire game. If you can play a mech while asleep, are you even really playing?

Any time you can stick a brick on the alpha-strike button and spend the day relaxing, you're wasting everyone's time.

Now, a Supernova, THAT'S fun.  :evil:

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #16 on: 27 October 2023, 12:35:35 »
The hornet. Trash. Loading it to the brim with advanced tech only succeeds in making it merely very bad.

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

Charistoph

• Major
« Reply #17 on: 27 October 2023, 13:03:53 »
I only hate having to use certain Mechs, I generally don't hate facing a specific 'Mech.

HOWEVER...

In our Narrative Campaign Commandos, Urbanmechs, and Javelins seem to get the short end of the stick from us.

For Commandos, I think it is just they tend to be the easiest to kill when they are on the board, but it could also be that our (as well as my) first 'Mech loss was when a Commando managed to get behind my Thunderbolt and TAC it's lower LRM Ammo Bay from the Rear (or was it a TAC?).

Urbanmechs just happen to be in a luckless state when we usually bring a lot of Jumpers in to where we face them, so can be outmaneuvered by anything.  We've managed to secure one ourselves, but the funniest thing is that for most of them, we always Crit the AC/10 before it can really do much.  The last one got hit by a Long Tom's scatter shot, lost its AC/10, and then tried to retreat.  Then when we tried to hit its bigger brother the Centurion, it scattered back to slap the Urbanmech even more!

The Javelin, though, has reached a place of immediate loathing in our hearts thanks to 2 specific missions.  Our GM has us face off against Black Inferno every now and then due to finding some funny Mechs in a Leopard out in the Periphery one time (come to think of it the Widows were interested in it, too).  They also tend to hit us with some fancy advanced (and sometimes custom Mechs). 

In our previous series, we see a Javelin.  We expect it to be the Fire Javelin, because it's naturally more Scary, right?  Nope.  Well, then it has some advanced tech and customization, right?  Nope.  Just the standard JVN-10N with 2 SRM-6s.  Then it fired.  Infernos.  We were busy pulling out, and he had some heavier stuff backing it up, too, so we didn't deal with it then.

After a couple more missions, we get ambushed by Black Inferno again, and there's that same Javelin.  It rushes up and puts both racks in to one of our Awesomes and it starts baking.  We focus fire on it, and it goes down so fast we basically say it became a puddle.  We later learned that the pilot had the Sandblaster Special Pilot Ability, too, which means the closer it got, the more missiles would likely hit.

We're now in the Ronin Wars, helping out the local Rasalhague transition government survive the Lyran Duke's attentions.  We saw a Javelin came in, and we're all, "F*** THAT GUY!", not even trusting it to NOT have Infernos.
Are you a Wolf, a Sheep, or a Hound?
Quote from: Megavolt
They called me crazy…they called me insane…THEY CALLED ME LOONEY!! and boy, were they right.

Charistoph's Painted Products of Mechanical Mayhem

Tyler Jorgensson

• Captain
« Reply #18 on: 27 October 2023, 13:07:22 »
I loathe them as well. Not entirely useless, but not good. Best used as a phyical bully for lighter mechs/ (12 point kick)

Third this: but I’ll disagree with any positive comment made in the mech. The damn thing is a useless waste of BV, give me ANYTHING else…

Except maybe a Whitworth. I’ll take any other medium with missile launchers over it: Trebuchet, Dervish, hell even a Swayback.

O5P_Ghost

• Warrant Officer
  • DR? NSR? Doesn't matter, I'm the one with the HMG!
« Reply #19 on: 27 October 2023, 15:16:12 »
In the HBS game I hate, HATE, Javelins. It seems like they always just lose their arms and never do I get torso hits. I also hate/fear Hunchbacks. Nothing gets focus fire more than a Hunchback when I see it.
User formally known as Snowfire
"Because the Draconis Combine is the greatest, strongest nation-state the universe has ever seen, and it is the destiny of House Kurita to rule over all of humanity. The people of the Federated Suns can accept this or be made to accept it." MapCapellan

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #20 on: 27 October 2023, 16:51:09 »
It's not the Urbanmech I hate... it's its 11th HS... :P

Luciora

• Major
« Reply #21 on: 27 October 2023, 17:54:15 »
At least its not machine gun ammo  :grin:

It's not the Urbanmech I hate... it's its 11th HS... :P

WONC

• Warrant Officer
  • Don't Stop Believin'
« Reply #22 on: 27 October 2023, 18:44:26 »
Fafnir, both on the tabletop and on MWO. Mostly because there are two types of Fafnir pilots: the stone-cold marksmen who ruin your day in ways you weren't expecting; and the derpy, too slow fools who manage to screw up every shot they take while doing nothing to hurt the enemy.

I may or may not fall into the second category myself, but that's beside the point.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

"Being tactful in audacity is knowing how far one can go too far."
Jean Cocteau

The Once & Future WiseOldNovaCat

Aotrs Commander

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #23 on: 28 October 2023, 08:50:06 »
Not so much utter hatred, but the fact that I've jumped a Hunchback IIC behind an enemy assault mech to double-tap the Ultra ACs and jammed them both more than twice has not endeared them to me.

Even accounting for the fact that some of those were on salvo rules so, 1/36 not 1/1296 of an indiividual instance jamming both cannons. But for that exact occurance to happen twice in two instances (because there are no instances of me doing that whee it DIDN'T happen and I doubt I've even FIRED a Hunchback IIC's Ultra autocannons 36 times in my entire BT history) is 1/1296;for it to happen more than that...

JadeHellbringer

• Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #24 on: 30 October 2023, 07:15:34 »
Bane-1. The legendary story of my using one with dice from hell is well-known, and I'll spare a retelling here, but suffice to say it has left a lasting impression on me.

It was never the best Mech to begin with- given the change to how autocannons do their business in HBS Battletech, it might actually be pretty fearsome there, but as it stands on tabletop it's a 100-ton Battlemech that can struggle to cause PSRs with a full long-range salvo. Heeey, that's... great, fantastic. That it can do that at absurd ranges is fun, for a turn, but Clan units (and Inner Sphere units post-invasion) tend to move fast enough to rapidly get inside their own weapon ranges after a turn or so of that fire- and there's not enough knockout power on a Bane to get rid of that target quickly enough to deal with it. I'm not even talking super-speed demons like Fireballs and Fire Moths- I'm talking heftier fare like Summoners and the like, units that can take a few of those tiny hits before sending their own hate mail back. Banes are tough, but if it can't hurt its target, eventually that armor is going to fail it. It's a Mech that makes a ton of sense from an in-universe perspective, and here is just... no.

That it had the afternoon that it did for me many years ago has simply cemented its place as my absolute least favorite Mech in the game. I hope those dice suffered as they melted.

+Crow T. Robot+

elf25s

• Major
« Reply #25 on: 30 October 2023, 07:43:09 »
jadehellbringer a question for you or its just me
whenever you picked up a BG of bt and picked a mech you hate would dice go out of the way to make sure you hated that mech even more?

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #26 on: 30 October 2023, 16:51:15 »
There should be a link to that story somewhere... at least one whole generation of players hasn't heard it... ;)

S2pidiT

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #27 on: 31 October 2023, 07:20:09 »

No "Hate" for it otherwise, but can't remember ever encountering one in a TT game.

And I agree about the Urbie.   :tongue:  While I've no "Hate" for it (YET!), I could care less about the plushie, the Urbie Lance Pack, the Urbie Company Pack, the Urbie underoos, the Urbie dustmop, the Urbie lampshade, or the Urbie throw rug.   :rolleyes:  It's NOT that good of a 'Mech, yet if you mention that, people nearly always will mention the Arrow IV Variant that can lob Nukes.  Because the ability to lob Nukes somehow transforms a Shit 'Mech into an Uber 'Mech?  It's like saying, "This I.S. design sucks, but the Clan Version is what it "Should" have been from the beginning!", as far as I'm concerned.  If your 'Mech HAS to use Clan Tech to be decent, it's a lousy design, period.
I would buy an Urbie trash can... Otherwise, meh. When everyone is in on the meme...
I don't use them in any of the games unless it's a requirement (like that Flashpoint in HBS BattleTech). I do have a lance of them from the Clan Invasion Kickstarter.

I don't have a 'Mech that I hate, but the Firestarter and Hunchback are the first I focus-fire on in HBS BattleTech. Ditto in MW5, along with anything else that has an AC/20.

Elmoth

• Major
  • Periphery fanboy
« Reply #28 on: 31 October 2023, 09:01:22 »
Alpha strike player, so my vision might be different from yours.

The freakin' Awesome. It refuses to die. And then he keeps scoring point after point of damage on you (we use variable damage).
I hate it because its whole concept is anathema to me. Walking sloooooowly to a good shooting position (forest, reverse slope...) and then standing still and shooting at you while taking the fire back nonchalantly is something I do not like conceptually.

Gladius-XC

• Sergeant
« Reply #29 on: 31 October 2023, 10:18:40 »
The Nova/Black Hawk. Just about any medium laser boat is unimaginative and munchkiny after they mount a certain number of them, but this one takes it way too far.
This. My son used a Nova constantly in our Alpha Strike games until I got so tired of facing it that I told him he had to pick something else.

So of course he picked a Supernova, LOL!