Author Topic: Anyone Remember Much About Squad Support Weapon Choice?  (Read 800 times)

Goose

• Lieutenant
  • … the Laws on his tail, burning for home …
    • Home of HeavyMetal Pro
Anyone Remember Much About Squad Support Weapon Choice?
« on: 22 November 2023, 19:11:59 »
I can tell it's real popular, put what did it do? Was it officially bending the weight rules?

Goose
The Ancient Egyptian God of Fractional AccountingAnimare Tai-sa Shikishima
I'm always ready to learn, although I do not always like being taught.

AlphaMirage

• Major
Re: Anyone Remember Much About Squad Support Weapon Choice?
« Reply #1 on: 22 November 2023, 19:18:19 »
It is bending weight rules. More of less each squad member will carry a percentage of a larger weapon that they couldn't carry alone.

DevianID

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: 24 November 2023, 03:02:15 »
Its sadly a poorly implemented rule.  It would have been cool to see better squad heavy weapon teams on trooper 1, but I cant say what battle armor even uses it beyond a Tag battle armor team.  Later Tag teams have tag on every trooper, so even for Tag they stopped using it.

Sabelkatten

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #3 on: 24 November 2023, 13:00:32 »
SSWMs are still completely legal for custom BA. TAG, NARC, ECM, sensors; all viable choices. OS-LRM to psych people out? Only really works if record sheets are secret, thought.

Hellraiser

• Colonel
  • Cry Havoc and Unleash the Gods of Fiat.
« Reply #4 on: 24 November 2023, 14:59:49 »
IIRC the rules were this.

Take Tonnage of Weapon & divide by 2.
Apply that 50% tonnage to all 4 troopers.
Then add the weapon itself to Trooper #1

So you paid 200% of the weapon's total weight to get 1 of them for the squad.
But, each single suit only had to have 1/2 the weapon's weight available.

It was basically useful for one thing.
Getting 1 special effect gun for the squad even if short on tonnage.  Like a single MG for some burst damage or something.
The most effective option was BA TAG, because TAGs don't get to shoot 4x at the targets anyway so only 1 mattered, and because TAG was the lightest option so the 200% total tonnage didn't penalize you much overall.

The downside besides 200% weight was that if Trooper #1 died you had no back up guns.
3041: General Lance Hawkins: The Equalizers
3053: Star Colonel Rexor Kerensky: The Silver Wolves

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

Demiurge

• Sergeant
  • What matters is it catches mice
« Reply #5 on: 11 December 2023, 19:59:05 »
IIRC the rules were this.

Take Tonnage of Weapon & divide by 2.
Apply that 50% tonnage to all 4 troopers.
Then add the weapon itself to Trooper #1

So you paid 200% of the weapon's total weight to get 1 of them for the squad.
But, each single suit only had to have 1/2 the weapon's weight available.

It was basically useful for one thing.
Getting 1 special effect gun for the squad even if short on tonnage.  Like a single MG for some burst damage or something.
The most effective option was BA TAG, because TAGs don't get to shoot 4x at the targets anyway so only 1 mattered, and because TAG was the lightest option so the 200% total tonnage didn't penalize you much overall.

The downside besides 200% weight was that if Trooper #1 died you had no back up guns.

In theory the rule could be used to cram a really big mean gun into the squad leader, but I don't think the weight breaks really allowed for anything noteworthy.  If, say, the squad leader of a squad of medium-weight battle armor had a medium laser, that would turn some heads, but I don't think it's particularly practical.

The weird thing about the construction rules here is that they imply that WOB and Clan engineers are significantly less efficient at designing SSWs than their IS counterparts.

Sabelkatten

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #6 on: 12 December 2023, 12:05:31 »
IIRC it's not 50% to each trooper, it's (200 / size of squad)% per trooper. So 40% each for clanners, 34% each for C*/WoB. But it's probably ten years since I checked...

Natasha Kerensky

• Major
  • Queen of Spades, First Lady of Death, Black Widow
« Reply #7 on: 12 December 2023, 15:12:35 »

SSWMs are also good for Active Probes and Improved Sensors, which, like TAG, a point or squad only needs one of to get the effect. 

I’ve also used them for ECM Suites, but I think that’s me house ruling, and not supported by official errata.

The new Callisto Clan Medium BA sorta shows what SSWMs can do to mount large weapons, specifically an ER Medium Laser, LRR, or SRM-4.  But with the possible exception of the ER Medium’s range and damage concentration, it’s pretty underwhelming compared to the five SRM-2s carried by a standard point of Elemental suits.  You’re probably off designing around, say, a Spheroid Standard Medium Laser on each suit or using DWPs if you want heavy, concentrated firepower.
"Ah, yes.  The belle dame sans merci.  The sweet young thing who will blast your nuts off.  The kitten with a whip.  That mystique?"
"Slavish adherence to formal ritual is a sign that one has nothing better to think about."
"Variety is the spice of battle."
"I've fought in... what... a hundred battles, a thousand battles?  It could be a million as far as I know.  I've fought for anybody who offered a decent contract and a couple who didn't.  And the universe is not much different after all that.  I could go on fighting for another hundred years and it would still look the same."
"I'm in mourning for my life."
"Those who break faith with the Unity shall go down into darkness."

Goose

• Lieutenant
  • … the Laws on his tail, burning for home …
    • Home of HeavyMetal Pro
« Reply #8 on: 12 December 2023, 16:59:22 »
… Is there a book and page number for any of this? :huh:
Goose
The Ancient Egyptian God of Fractional AccountingAnimare Tai-sa Shikishima
I'm always ready to learn, although I do not always like being taught.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #9 on: 12 December 2023, 18:56:16 »
Well, I came up with:
Integrated Electronics and Sensor Suites for BA
and the
BA SATCOM Suite

But those are fan rules...

ravensword

• Sergeant
« Reply #10 on: 13 December 2023, 06:29:51 »
… Is there a book and page number for any of this? :huh:

TechManual, p. 270.