Author Topic: New Inner Sphere Standard Suit Commentary?  (Read 862 times)

Goose

• Lieutenant
  • … the Laws on his tail, burning for home …
    • Home of HeavyMetal Pro
New Inner Sphere Standard Suit Commentary?
« on: 23 November 2023, 19:56:00 »
I just got it through my thick skull the Recognition Guide gave us a new battle suit, badly misnamed as the Inner Sphere Standard. :headbang:

I think I got it mocked up having 5kg, and no spaces, to spare, done with Advanced armor; Anybody else? :blank:
Goose
The Ancient Egyptian God of Fractional AccountingAnimare Tai-sa Shikishima
I'm always ready to learn, although I do not always like being taught.

boilerman

• Lieutenant
  • Spinning wrenches since 1968.
Re: New Inner Sphere Standard Suit Commentary?
« Reply #1 on: 01 December 2023, 23:16:30 »
Which guide book?
Avatar by Wombat. Thanks Wombat!

Goose

• Lieutenant
    • Home of HeavyMetal Pro
« Reply #2 on: 02 December 2023, 00:39:48 »
pp.15 of #32. :smilie_character_typing:
Goose

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #3 on: 02 December 2023, 00:55:51 »
I've always been surprised that there haven't been more mods on the IS Standard suit. We have the Cavalier, and the Raiden, which are name-brand copies - heck, why the Marians didn't just put a sideways crest on it & call it the Decurion is a mystery.

Glad I was able to lever the Fa Shure & Baka suits in.
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

Goose

• Lieutenant
    • Home of HeavyMetal Pro
« Reply #4 on: 02 December 2023, 03:32:45 »
I think it's more to do with the BA stat block. :lipsrsealed:
Goose

Church14

• Lieutenant
« Reply #5 on: 04 December 2023, 09:10:52 »
With the seeming trend away from Omnis, a new IS standard with magclamps feels appropriate

Minemech

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: 04 December 2023, 10:47:21 »
I've always been surprised that there haven't been more mods on the IS Standard suit. We have the Cavalier, and the Raiden, which are name-brand copies - heck, why the Marians didn't just put a sideways crest on it & call it the Decurion is a mystery.

Glad I was able to lever the Fa Shure & Baka suits in.
The original Inner Sphere standard was never really meant to last. I do not think that the Federated Suns are currently interested in a serious replacement for the Cavalier, preferring assaults, or heavies as part of their standard doctrine; the Cav II is a fair upgrade. The Combine's attempt to replace the Raiden turned into a failure due to a dislike of its aesthetics--its armor decision also is a mixed choice. The Longinus, particularly in its upgraded form, remains a so-so trooper but I suspect it will necessarily be replaced. With its intensive use of artillery, I do not know if the Confederation has any interest in upgrading their battle armor trooper lines. The Gray Death Strike needs more time in the sun.

Charistoph

• Major
« Reply #7 on: 04 December 2023, 11:14:01 »
With the seeming trend away from Omnis, a new IS standard with magclamps feels appropriate

Not necessarily.  It would be for the Clans who disdain front-line use of Combat Vehicles (bar Hell's Horses).  However, combined arms with APCs and Infantry is not an uncommon doctrine in the Inner Sphere.  The only difference is whether the APC is taking Squads or Platoons.
Are you a Wolf, a Sheep, or a Hound?
Quote from: Megavolt
They called me crazy…they called me insane…THEY CALLED ME LOONEY!! and boy, were they right.

Charistoph's Painted Products of Mechanical Mayhem

AlphaMirage

• Major
« Reply #8 on: 04 December 2023, 11:49:12 »
Not necessarily.  It would be for the Clans who disdain front-line use of Combat Vehicles (bar Hell's Horses).  However, combined arms with APCs and Infantry is not an uncommon doctrine in the Inner Sphere.  The only difference is whether the APC is taking Squads or Platoons.

Indeed, VTOL Airmobile BA is probably the best actually. It leverages the advantages of both unit types quite well while partially off-setting their disadvantages.

Minemech

• Captain
« Reply #9 on: 04 December 2023, 11:53:52 »
 What would happen to the Supernova? That is fairly important to Clan doctrine.

Church14

• Lieutenant
« Reply #10 on: 04 December 2023, 12:35:45 »
Oops. I meant for IS forces that seem to be moving away from Omnis. Clans still go hard on them.

Charistoph

• Major
« Reply #11 on: 04 December 2023, 14:13:18 »
Oops. I meant for IS forces that seem to be moving away from Omnis. Clans still go hard on them.

No Inner Sphere army dedicated themselves to OmniMechs as much as any Clan has, and definitely for not as long. 

Clans had Omnis for almost 2 centuries before they invaded the Inner Sphere, so got stuck in to certain habits. 

Meanwhile the Houses have only known about Omnis for about 100 years as of the current timeline, and they often went with cheaper Battlemechs to provide numbers in the field.  They also never went away from providing Vehicle rides for Infantry (PBI or BA) as part of regular doctrine, so as I said before, it won't be too big a change for the Houses, and one they will plan for.

Certain Mercenary units may have to update their tactics and methods, but I'm not exactly up on who are that reliant on either OmniMechs and Battle Armor to address that aspect.
Are you a Wolf, a Sheep, or a Hound?
Quote from: Megavolt
They called me crazy…they called me insane…THEY CALLED ME LOONEY!! and boy, were they right.

Charistoph's Painted Products of Mechanical Mayhem

Register