Author Topic: Mercenaries Kickstarter Discussion 6: the 1st 3rd Star League conversation  (Read 70990 times)

Contingency

• Recruit
Honestly, when the shipping charges started to be posted, the first thought in my brain was why haven't I received my shipping charges yet? Did they forget about me?? Where's My SHIPPING CHARGES???

Then I got my shipping charges. I'd pledged for a Regiment, another Merc box (Gotta have the KS exclusive and the standard boxes!) and the Strikers pack. That's $610. They have me down for $148.22 for shipping and taxes. I live in Alabama, so no shipping tax here either. Luckily, I've put back $100 just to pay for shipping, so the extra $48 doesn't hurt too bad. Hopefully, this is indeed just a mix up on the shipper's part and the costs will go down for everyone.

I have nothing but respect for CGL for the way they've run the campaign so far. They've done their best to be up front and transparent through the entire process. Sure, many folks are worried, but I think the loudest voices are from the people looking for a reason to be mad and indignant about something. Heck, there were people complaining about the pledges before the campaign was over! I'm taking a wait and see position to see what CGL can find out. I honestly feel that CGL will find a way to make this right for the backers. As others have said, take a deep calming breath and have a little patience.

Have fun gaming, guys and gals. Peace of Blake be upon you all!

I live in Alabama too. I picked up a similar order, plus the universe book and novels and low weight items like dice and trays--$1017 vs your $610. $342 shipping, plus tax on shipping. I'm paying $200+ more on shipping for $400 more of product. I wouldn't mind sharing my order to see which item or items wins the sucker punch.

iyaerP

• Recruit
I gotta say, when my shipping costs are high enough that it'd be cheaper to drive out to wherever their distribution center is, pick up my order and then drive home, they seriously ****** up.

MarauderD

• Major
Just to get the numbers out there:

Pledged Regiment and had $180 in upgrades, so total amount was $680.00 (used up my complimentary credits from the Clan Invasion KS, thank you CGL).

Shipping total came out to $257.90 to ship to northern California, including state tax shipping of $18.70 which isn't a thing here.

Charistoph

• Major
Just to get the numbers out there:

Pledged Regiment and had $180 in upgrades, so total amount was $680.00 (used up my complimentary credits from the Clan Invasion KS, thank you CGL).

Shipping total came out to $257.90 to ship to northern California, including state tax shipping of $18.70 which isn't a thing here.

Yeah, I got some shipping tax which isn't a thing here in Arizona, either.  Mine isn't nearly that high, probably because my pledge amount was much much smaller.
Are you a Wolf, a Sheep, or a Hound?
Quote from: Megavolt
They called me crazy…they called me insane…THEY CALLED ME LOONEY!! and boy, were they right.

Charistoph's Painted Products of Mechanical Mayhem

Euphonium

• Captain
  • Look Ma, no Faction!
Tax being applied to everyone/everything even when it shouldn't be seems to be a seperate issue that needs looked into on top of the actual shipping fees.
>>>>[You're only jealous because the voices don't talk to you]<<<<

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
Tax being applied to everyone/everything even when it shouldn't be seems to be a seperate issue that needs looked into on top of the actual shipping fees.
one of the reasons why i figure the current shipping cost listings have to have been done wrong. because they seem to have applied the same formula's for S&H and taxes to almost everyone

mechasaurus

• Sergeant
So I've taken people who've listed both their purchases and their shipping (but have not included taxes) and averaged the shipping.  Right now, I'm seeing about 31%.  That's in line with what people are saying of 30 to 33%.  Of course, I'm in Canada, so I'm on the hook for 43% !!?!%1!  :huh:  I hope something is done to reduce this.  I'm not going to throw a fit, but if it turns out that it's 'the cost of doing business,' that's going to make me have to think hard about future kickstarters.  Maybe I just wait and buy retail through my local store?

wundergoat

• Master Sergeant
one of the reasons why i figure the current shipping cost listings have to have been done wrong. because they seem to have applied the same formula's for S&H and taxes to almost everyone

This is my reasoning, too.  It is a blinking neon sign that these numbers can't possibly be correct, because they violate tax rules, which is a bad thing.  Therefore, I'm not getting worked up over the number.

That said, the PR/damage control here has not been good.  Update #83 really needed to only say that CGL was aware of reports of high shipping numbers and that CGL was looking into solving the issue, but that the holiday weekend was going to make it hard to get an immediate response, and then have a specific time given for an Update #84, specifically today or tomorrow.  Keeping the discussion to the point with only concrete relevant facts and a definite timeline for an update with more information does a lot to keep people calm and stem misinformation.  The whole of paragraphs three and four should have been cut, as it has a bunch of speculation and no facts that resolve the issue and only adds fuel to people's worry. 

I don't want to be too critical here as crisis communication isn't easy even when you are prepped and trained for it, but it is frustrating seeing mud getting slung at CGL.

Psycho

• CamoSpecs
  • Captain
  I'm not going to throw a fit, but if it turns out that it's 'the cost of doing business,' that's going to make me have to think hard about future kickstarters.  Maybe I just wait and buy retail through my local store?

For a comparison point, I recently ordered assorted gaming stuff from a (semi-local) store, because I didn't have time to get out there in person. Tracked package shipping cost of $25 on an order of about $100. Canada Post then promptly lost the package.

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
That's a solid response. It acknowledges customer concerns, shows they're aware that there is a problem, gives the steps they're taking, and provides a time frame for answers.
BattleTech is a huge house, it's not any one fan's or "type" of fans.  If you need to relieve yourself, use the bathroom not another BattleTech fan. - nckestrel
1st and 2nd Succession Wars are not happy times. - klarg1

spotH3D

• Corporal
For a comparison point, I recently ordered assorted gaming stuff from a (semi-local) store, because I didn't have time to get out there in person. Tracked package shipping cost of $25 on an order of about $100. Canada Post then promptly lost the package.

Dang, screwed either way you go!

But as the guy you quoted said, if this is the new normal for kickstarter shipments, I'll wait till retail in the future, count me out.  Fortunately CGL did say they didn't need KS anymore to keep the plastic moving, so perhaps it has served it's purpose.

Charistoph

• Major
Was QML used for the last KS fulfillment?

If not, I think we have the answer to where the problem is.

Sometimes when you try a new group, new problems arise that you would be unaware of before implementation, particularly if the salesmen promise something that the rest of the company cannot deliver (I've had that SO many times when in tech support).

Still, patience is a virtue, and they have the rest of the week to provide an answer.  Hopefully it will be in the next news broadcast.
Are you a Wolf, a Sheep, or a Hound?
Quote from: Megavolt
They called me crazy…they called me insane…THEY CALLED ME LOONEY!! and boy, were they right.

Charistoph's Painted Products of Mechanical Mayhem

Aresneo

• Master Sergeant
Was QML used for the last KS fulfillment?
They were.

Aotrs Commander

• Warrant Officer
Retail is something of a problem seemingly, for them as not in the states; certainly, it wasn't easy to get hold of the boxed sets last time around in the UK (I imagine it will only get harder). But at this point, I suppose it don't matter, as I am unlikely in the immediate future... (Or possibly ever.) To be getting any more toys (BT or otherwise) anyway.

Jal Phoenix

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Once, we had gods.
I went the cheap-o way and only made the $150 pledge. My shipping is $38, with $9 tax and another $2 for tax on shipping. That last charge irks me more than the rest of it, honestly. I'm not happy with the total, especially since I live in Florida, but it's not life altering enough for me to make a stink. I expect that CGL leadership will do their best to address it all. Whether the outcome is something that they can even affect remains to be seen. Either way, I recognize this as the fault of the shipping company, not CGL.

This Ends Tonight

• Recruit
QML has delivered several Kickstarter projects I backed, never had any problems before. I anticipate this issue to be resolved quickly. Whether they accidentally put us all at 2 day shipping, confused ounces for kilos, thought the 4" tall Timber Wolf was 4' tall, whatever it is I don't for a second believe QML or CGL is looking for a quick payday that would destroy their business and probably violate several laws before hopping on a plane to South America.

klarg1

• Captain
QML has delivered several Kickstarter projects I backed, never had any problems before. I anticipate this issue to be resolved quickly. Whether they accidentally put us all at 2 day shipping, confused ounces for kilos, thought the 4" tall Timber Wolf was 4' tall, whatever it is I don't for a second believe QML or CGL is looking for a quick payday that would destroy their business and probably violate several laws before hopping on a plane to South America.

I might willingly pay 30% shipping for a four foot Timber Wolf.

SpaceCowboy1701

• Master Sergeant
Maybe this is a dumb question, but ... I bought in after the Kickstarter was live ... my Backerkit does not have anything attached to it for Mercenaries ... anyone know if I get a separate email regarding this?  I have been receiving the updates, but nothing regarding shipping ...

shivanwurm

• Lieutenant
The meeting should be happening around now. Lets hope for a positive resolution.

klarg1

• Captain
Are you looking at Clan Invasion on backer kit? The two campaigns are separate on Backerkit.

BlCharger

• Master Sergeant
Weighing in on the shipping charges thing. While I am being patient and hoping this gets resolved, I'm kind of disappointed with the shipping charges, though it's smaller than a lot of people here. I'm one of those in a tight spot financially at the moment.

I have no idea what they used to calculate shipping and tax. For Maryland, they can tax handling if it gets separated but not shipping and apparently that's where I'm seeing the tax on my list. I did a quick calculation with UPS ground (Orlando where QML is to MD) using what I ordered and a box I got from the Clan KS that I still own. The box is maybe larger than what would be needed. Also did a rough estimate on weight. 9 force packs, the Merc box, the Timber Wolf, some salvage boxes, and dice are not that heavy. My shipping is $56 (includes the tax). If I go by UPS ground, it's only $37 or so. The real charges might be cheaper than that.

I wish I knew who they were using to ship our KS orders. These sound like 2-Day Air/special delivery options instead of slower, cheaper rates.
"The Ghost Bears are one big, happy family. I am the crazy, fun loving aunt." - Star Captain Peri Rand.
"You can't write history without including mankind's incessant need to kill one another." - Dr. Jessica Kimball (Hopefully soon to be my canon character)

Garak

• Recruit
I live in Europe so I was expecting this to cost something but still. 93 dollars shipping, 17 shipping VAT and another 113 VAT on a 589 dollar pledge. Like really? Plus I'll probably have to deal with customs when it arrives, unless they send it through a warehouse in the EU or something, like Amazon does.

MarauderD

• Major
This is good news.

Moonsword

• Acutus Gladius
  • Global Moderator
  • Colonel
  • You interrupted me reading TROs for this?
Ladies, gentlemen, other gentlepersons, and assembled mercenaries, although I recognize that this is a matter of no small concern, please do not violate Rule 10 in here by reposting the entire Kickstarter news post.  The fact it's also harder to read because someone used a screenshot is also exasperating.  Link to things properly per the forum rules.

The post in question:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/cgl/battletech-mercenaries/posts/4067683

TL;DR: Shipping charges were subject to a number of anomalies, included things they shouldn't have included, and are being reevaluated.

Quote from: Forum Rules
10. Copyright and Quoting Other Sources
This message board will not be used to distribute, or facilitate distribution of, unauthorized or illegally obtained copyrighted materials. This includes posting a link or even just references to websites or resources that distribute such, whether it happens on the internet or not.

If you post materials from other websites (including news sources), books and/or newsgroups:

Never quote more than a few lines from any source
Give credit to the original author
Provide a link to the source web page, where appropriate
Summaries of news articles are acceptable and in fact preferred, with links to the original article included.

If you re-post material from the BattleTech forums you are also asked to give credit when appropriate.

Jal Phoenix

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Once, we had gods.
So...what are we supposed to blow up and panic about now? Do we revert to the years-long delay in getting IlClan out? Or do we have to go all the way back to "WizKids put 'Mechs on click dials, BattleTech is doomed?"

mechasaurus

• Sergeant
So...what are we supposed to blow up and panic about now? Do we revert to the years-long delay in getting IlClan out? Or do we have to go all the way back to "WizKids put 'Mechs on click dials, BattleTech is doomed?"

Oh, don't worry.  Rest assured that people can still complain.

There's one on the kickstarter that has complained that they'll pay if their shipping is cut in half.  I mean, good luck.  I'll take any reduction, thank you.

2DarkWolf2

• Recruit
Are they making a mistake about the Savannahs Map Pack when they say all Veteran backers and up are getting that for free? Looking at the main Mercenaries KS page it seems to show this as being free for Battalion backers and up.

DW

Lorcan Nagle

• 75 tons of heavy metal mayhem
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!

I was getting up a good head of steam about the 4th Succession War ruining BattleTech if you want in on it.
The moderator formerly known as the user formerly known as nenechan

Brym

• Corporal
I believe the Kickstarter update has an error that makes it a little confusing.  They say that the Savannah Battlemat was incorrectly sized with the dimensions of a BFM, and that since all Veteran+ backers are getting "the free Battlemat with their order," this affects a lot of backers.

Unless I missed something, that's not true.  There is no free Battlemat for Veteran+ backers, right?  The only Savannah thing included free for some backers is the Savannah Map Pack, but that's for Battalion+, not Veteran+.  So it's unclear if 1) it's actually the Battlemat or the Map Pack that was mis-dimensioned, and 2) how many backers this actually affects.

Regardless, good news that the current charges include handling and fees that will get taken out.

2DarkWolf2

• Recruit
Yeah, seems to be some more confusion. The KS Update refers to Battlemat though in the TuesdayNewsday they said Map Pack. Neither of which goes to Veteran backers and up free.

DW