Author Topic: What would you argue to be the most illogical decision made by an IS Leader?  (Read 10637 times)

Metallgewitter

• Lieutenant
Well in terms of acting Roderick seems to be more proactive. Trilian seems to be ok with her realm fragmenting or at the very least doesn't seem to have the desire to take the breakaway states back and rather concentrates on the most important parts. Which in turn leads to more "resentment" from the fiefs that have build up.  Of course the most interesting bits will be how these fiefs will act in future or if someof them get the boot. That and I assume we might get a possible cooperation between Nikol and Trilian in dividing the Wolf Empire. Or some Lyran Margrave screws the situation up by trying to take advantage of the situation and the Lyrans piss of the Mariks again

Caesar Steiner for Archon

• Captain
  • I think I'm dehydrated. What day is it?
Well in terms of acting Roderick seems to be more proactive. Trilian seems to be ok with her realm fragmenting or at the very least doesn't seem to have the desire to take the breakaway states back and rather concentrates on the most important parts. Which in turn leads to more "resentment" from the fiefs that have build up.  Of course the most interesting bits will be how these fiefs will act in future or if someof them get the boot. That and I assume we might get a possible cooperation between Nikol and Trilian in dividing the Wolf Empire. Or some Lyran Margrave screws the situation up by trying to take advantage of the situation and the Lyrans piss of the Mariks again

Well, Ludwig's already taken full control of the Marik border and he's pushing into Wolf space now that Bolan is back in Lyran hands, so between that and how the LCAF is positioned, it seems like more action against the Wolf Empire beyond "let Ludwig retake Dixie on his own, and we'll let the authors hint that the Lyrans have shaved a few more planets off screen" is her plan. She sent Roderick to Arcturus to meet with Regis so I think she's probably counting on hammering out a political solution there.

I think the states that got a lot of page time are relatively safe for the time being. You don't spill as much ink as they have on the Tamar Pact, AML or Jiyi's Falcons (ESPECIALLY the Pact) just to wipe them out when the timeline moves forward. I do think the ARLC's not going to be around for long, but that's because the writers in TR didn't even bother to pretend Callandre and the Hounds weren't part of the Commonwealth.

But anyway, from a narrative standpoint, while they aren't 100% on the same page, they weren't actively clashing over priorities when we saw them in HotW or anything like that. Overall, passing the throne to Roderick would just make me wonder what the point of all this had even been, since he's still the same character he was when he started going by Steiner again. Maybe that's a commentary on how little face time that Trillian and Roderick have had in recent years?
« Last Edit: 23 January 2024, 19:37:44 by Caesar Steiner for Archon »

Strike first. Strike hard. No mercy.

Church14

• Lieutenant
I’m half expecting a Lyran General to come back to Trillian and go “have you seen the empire? My [RCT OF WRITER’S CHOICE] just took thirty Empire worlds. They’re practically giving them away.”

CJC070

• Lieutenant
Hopefully the Lyrans will get a spot on the upcoming “iKhans Eyes Only” since we only really saw the response to the recreation of the Tamar Pact.  It also show that Trillian is not as irresponsible as we have seen.  She could be irresponsible just playing devils advocate.

• Captain
At minimum, we better get an explanation for what the Isle of Skye is about. They've been teasing that one for well over a year at this point.

BrianDavion

• Captain
Well, Ludwig's already taken full control of the Marik border and he's pushing into Wolf space now that Bolan is back in Lyran hands, so between that and how the LCAF is positioned, it seems like more action against the Wolf Empire beyond "let Ludwig retake Dixie on his own, and we'll let the authors hint that the Lyrans have shaved a few more planets off screen" is her plan. She sent Roderick to Arcturus to meet with Regis so I think she's probably counting on hammering out a political solution there.

I think the states that got a lot of page time are relatively safe for the time being. You don't spill as much ink as they have on the Tamar Pact, AML or Jiyi's Falcons (ESPECIALLY the Pact) just to wipe them out when the timeline moves forward. I do think the ARLC's not going to be around for long, but that's because the writers in TR didn't even bother to pretend Callandre and the Hounds weren't part of the Commonwealth.

But anyway, from a narrative standpoint, while they aren't 100% on the same page, they weren't actively clashing over priorities when we saw them in HotW or anything like that. Overall, passing the throne to Roderick would just make me wonder what the point of all this had even been, since he's still the same character he was when he started going by Steiner again. Maybe that's a commentary on how little face time that Trillian and Roderick have had in recent years?

I've theorized that the ARLC and the Tamar pact may be the genisis of new "marches" for the Lyrans.
The Suns will shine again

Metallgewitter

• Lieutenant
I’m half expecting a Lyran General to come back to Trillian and go “have you seen the empire? My [RCT OF WRITER’S CHOICE] just took thirty Empire worlds. They’re practically giving them away.”
Redemption Rites hinted at one Lyran margrave (no name given) actually visitng Wolfs's Dragoons for a possible contract. I would wager that they hinted in return that the Wolf Empire is open for conquest. After all if the Lyrans take on a few worlds and maybe smash one of the defending clusters it makes the job for the Dragoons (and by extension the Mariks) much easier

• Captain
Redemption Rites hinted at one Lyran margrave (no name given) actually visitng Wolfs's Dragoons for a possible contract. I would wager that they hinted in return that the Wolf Empire is open for conquest. After all if the Lyrans take on a few worlds and maybe smash one of the defending clusters it makes the job for the Dragoons (and by extension the Mariks) much easier

There's only two Margraves left after the collapse of Arc-Royal Theater, so it's either Ludwig Steiner (who has already moved into Wolf Empire space with the capture of Dixie) or Gareth Dinesen, who is all the way on the other side of the Commonwealth.

I've theorized that the ARLC and the Tamar pact may be the genisis of new "marches" for the Lyrans.

The ARLC has stressed that they're still Lyrans, currently all worlds that used to be in Lyran space and is surrounded by Lyran territory on three sides, so she fits really neatly into the existing structure. Eventually Trillian and Callandre bury the hatchet, Trillian names Callandre as the Margrave of Arc-Royal, which means she continues to have the authority to do whatever she wants but her actions are sanctioned by Tharkad. Metanarratively, it also completes her transition from early career Morgan Kell to late career Morgan Kell, who was also briefly the Margrave of Arc-Royal in 3067. She's moving out of the concerns of "how do I shoot more better?" to "how do I run a government more better?" already and that would formalize the change.

Tamar I think get recognized as an Archonette. Everyone wins with that one; Regis can say that her regime's legitimacy is recognized while Trillian can spin it as a necessary independent action. Unlike the Vesper Marches, the Pact hasn't pulled down any Lyran flags, only Falcon ones. Neither military seems to want to fight each other and declaring an Archonette would put that concern out of everyone's mind and make them at least allies.
« Last Edit: 24 January 2024, 12:18:58 by Caesar Steiner for Archon »

Metallgewitter

• Lieutenant
Wasn't Dixie part of the League when the mercenary kerfuffle happened and the Lyrans managed to take the planet? Or am I remembering wrong? Might have to reeread that section again

BrianDavion

• Captain
There's only two Margraves left after the collapse of Arc-Royal Theater, so it's either Ludwig Steiner (who has already moved into Wolf Empire space with the capture of Dixie) or Gareth Dinesen, who is all the way on the other side of the Commonwealth.

The ARLC has stressed that they're still Lyrans, currently all worlds that used to be in Lyran space and is surrounded by Lyran territory on three sides, so she fits really neatly into the existing structure. Eventually Trillian and Callandre bury the hatchet, Trillian names Callandre as the Margrave of Arc-Royal, which means she continues to have the authority to do whatever she wants but her actions are sanctioned by Tharkad. Metanarratively, it also completes her transition from early career Morgan Kell to late career Morgan Kell, who was also briefly the Margrave of Arc-Royal in 3067. She's moving out of the concerns of "how do I shoot more better?" to "how do I run a government more better?" already and that would formalize the change.

Tamar I think get recognized as an Archonette. Everyone wins with that one; Regis can say that her regime's legitimacy is recognized while Trillian can spin it as a necessary independent action. Unlike the Vesper Marches, the Pact hasn't pulled down any Lyran flags, only Falcon ones. Neither military seems to want to fight each other and declaring an Archonette would put that concern out of everyone's mind and make them at least allies.

right which suggests we're thinking the same things essentially. the Lyran Commonwealth as orginanally presented had effectively 2 marches, the (Original) Tamar Pact, and the Federation of Skye. these regions occasionally cropped up whenever the LC needed to have some narrative internal bickering etc. We all know Skye, but there was also shinnagens from the Tamar pact when the FRR was being formed.
The original Tamar pact is no more, consumed by clan wolf, and Skye is no longer part of the LC. The LC from a narrative POV could really use some "march lords" and while they've tried with some of the rogue archonettes etc formed during the jihad and dark ages etc. IMHO it just hasn't worked because on a narrative level these places and people are just random names. the Tamar pact and the ARLC however as "quasi independant marches" in the LC would be perfect. people'd CARE about them.

• Captain
Wasn't Dixie part of the League when the mercenary kerfuffle happened and the Lyrans managed to take the planet? Or am I remembering wrong? Might have to reeread that section again

Dixie was in Wolf space, but the League was planning on trying to take it. You're thinking of Bolan. And yeah, retaking Bolan antagonized the League, but it was still a good move to retake it. Having your people being greeted as liberators plays REALLY well for someone who is so badly in need of more PR victories as Trillian is.

(Also they renamed the Melissa Steiner Memorial Academy to the Jeremy Brett Military Academy so they had it coming).

RanFelsnerAFFS

• Master Sergeant
the Lyran Commonwealth as orginanally presented had effectively 2 marches, the (Original) Tamar Pact, and the Federation of Skye.

Well, actually three... don't forget the protectorate of Donegal

OatsAndHall

• Warrant Officer
Hanse Davion and the Marik body-double scheme was pretty stupid, IMO. The ramifications of Joshua Marik-wannabe being discovered far outweighed just being honest about his condition and his death. Plus, Hanse put the burden of that operation on his son when he died.

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
Hanse Davion and the Marik body-double scheme was pretty stupid, IMO. The ramifications of Joshua Marik-wannabe being discovered far outweighed just being honest about his condition and his death. Plus, Hanse put the burden of that operation on his son when he died.

Yah, that was the fox being...not so foxy...like, at all.

One must wonder if his 'sudden' heart attack hadn't been preceded by a low-intensity stroke or three.  My stepfather, before he died, suffered several and by the time his heart failed, he could barely speak, but before he got to that point, he definitely started showing behavior changes and issues with his judgment after the first one.

so maybe Hans had a minor stroke that was mild enough it went unnoticed (or was easily concealed) before he made THAT decision.
"If you have to ask permission, then it's no longer a Right, it has been turned into a Privilege-something that can be and will be taken from you when convenient."

OatsAndHall

• Warrant Officer
Yah, that was the fox being...not so foxy...like, at all.

One must wonder if his 'sudden' heart attack hadn't been preceded by a low-intensity stroke or three.  My stepfather, before he died, suffered several and by the time his heart failed, he could barely speak, but before he got to that point, he definitely started showing behavior changes and issues with his judgment after the first one.

so maybe Hans had a minor stroke that was mild enough it went unnoticed (or was easily concealed) before he made THAT decision.

Yup, a medical condition could have explained it. Unfortunately, the decision was played off as a measure to keep the peace and the manufacturing capabilities of the FWL in the fiction. I get it, they needed a catalyst for some IS strife, post Clan-invasion, but it just seems like a poor choice/poor story-telling.

Minemech

• Captain
It is plausible that Hanse had an undiagnosed heart and dental condition that led to ministrokes. It would have to be extremely subtle. It would be odd since he should have had top notch treatment, but he himself may have undervalued its implications if discovered. 

BrianDavion

• Captain
it's more likely the plan was simply one of a dozen Hanse had cooked up and likely would have been scrapped long before reaching fruition. hell it's possiable Hanse wasn't seriously considering it but kept it on the backburner as a possiability and a MIIO agent who championed it managed to push it through

VanVelding

• Warrant Officer