Author Topic: Marik Militia Assault Lance  (Read 771 times)

MarauderD

• Major
Marik Militia Assault Lance
« on: 17 May 2024, 12:20:39 »
Hello All!

Couple years ago I painted a Marik Militia Awesome, who has sat alone for too long.  Just finished up three compatriots for that unit with a decidedly FWLM Flavor:

Assault Lance:

Orion:

Stalker:

Guillotine:

Next up for the FWLM:  Wolverine, Griffin, Hunchback, and Trebuchet.

Happy Friday and Cheers all!

jimdigris

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant Colonel
Re: Marik Militia Assault Lance
« Reply #1 on: 17 May 2024, 15:24:22 »
 :smilie_happy_thumbup:

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #2 on: 17 May 2024, 17:44:40 »
Outstanding work!  That's a great lance! :)

Natasha Kerensky

• Major
  • Queen of Spades, First Lady of Death, Black Widow
« Reply #3 on: 17 May 2024, 19:03:38 »

Nice work and nice lance.
"Ah, yes.  The belle dame sans merci.  The sweet young thing who will blast your nuts off.  The kitten with a whip.  That mystique?"
"Slavish adherence to formal ritual is a sign that one has nothing better to think about."
"Variety is the spice of battle."
"I've fought in... what... a hundred battles, a thousand battles?  It could be a million as far as I know.  I've fought for anybody who offered a decent contract and a couple who didn't.  And the universe is not much different after all that.  I could go on fighting for another hundred years and it would still look the same."
"I'm in mourning for my life."
"Those who break faith with the Unity shall go down into darkness."

thesilverback

• Corporal
« Reply #4 on: 20 May 2024, 17:04:08 »
Nice work, purple is really dark.
6th Federated Suns Armored Cavalry (Hillbillies with Guns) - 24/432 - 5.56% painted

avon1985

• Major
« Reply #5 on: 22 May 2024, 05:31:14 »
Sweet! :smilie_happy_thumbup:

ISD

• Master Sergeant
    • Project Mumblings
« Reply #6 on: 22 May 2024, 06:43:14 »
Great colours 8)
Clan Jade Falcon
Gamma Galaxy
3rd Falcon Talon Cluster

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #7 on: 24 May 2024, 03:13:51 »
Grapes of Wrath doing a little trampling of their own!

Very clean and effective. Would you consider going over the cockpits with metallic green, for more contrast?
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

MarauderD

• Major
« Reply #8 on: 24 May 2024, 10:48:38 »
You've had nothing but good suggestions for the past 4 years that I've been slowly learning painting, so I'm always open to your input.  Cockpits are currently Stormhost Silver undercoat with whatever the GW Gemstone color red is called on top of the silver.  (quick technique with nice results, Razorclaw taught me this a few years ago)

What green would you suggest, and what effect would it produce?

My inclination on most I.S. mech forces is to avoid green cockpits, because I do medium lasers in Gemstone green.  Since medium lasers seem to be the most common weapon on a lot of designs I paint, process of elimination has led me to reddish cockpits.  (Just a little background info to my habits)

17thRecon

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #9 on: 26 May 2024, 01:05:20 »
They look sharp. I really like the dark purple; gives it more of a “realistic” look, for lack of a better term.

Wasteland Warrior

• Corporal
« Reply #10 on: 28 May 2024, 08:54:56 »
Totally agree with the choice of lance and colors. 
+1 to the choice of dark purple.

RabidFox

• Sergeant
« Reply #11 on: 30 May 2024, 14:36:08 »
These look great!

Are these for a specific Marik Militia unit or do you prefer them to be "generic", no unit designation?  I'm working on some Marik militia but I'm torn between making them a specific unit or more generic.

MarauderD

• Major
« Reply #12 on: 30 May 2024, 16:33:17 »
Went with generic because the idea is to have another era agnostic force.  I like to play 3rd Succession War through the ilClan era.  I know most of the Militia either perished in the Jihad or morphed into Marik Protectors.  Now some of the protectors are Marik Militia again. 

With some exceptions, I've been trying to pick a unit that either never died, or was resurrected in the Dark Ages.  For example, Davion unit 4th Davion Guards died in the Civil War, but was reborn in the Republic Era, so I'm set. 

Funny exception:  I started painting the 5th Sword of Light about 4 hours ago, and now have 21 models painted.  They just died on New Avalon in Dominions Divided--So now I'm pretending they are just generic Sword of Light.  /Facepalm

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #13 on: 30 May 2024, 17:34:28 »
What green would you suggest, and what effect would it produce?

Sorry, been a bit under the weather.

I'd use a straight metallic green - I'm very fond of Mr Hobby's paint, but I use a very eclectic mix of metallics other than Citadel Leadbelcher. And I do my lasers either metallic red, or orange contrast over silver (if the mini has a red base), so no issues there. The metallics give a self-highlighting which you can enhance by putting a little gloss varnish over them, after the matt sealing.

As shown here

You can also look at a metallic blue, or this strange paint colour - Aotake Blue - which is a metallic medium blue used only in some Japanese WW2 naval planes' wheel wells. I'll use one for PPCs, the other for cockpits.

The main thing is to have some contrast - the red cockpits here don't stand out compared to the excellent red highlighting. Just my 2 M-bill's worth :)
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

MarauderD

• Major
« Reply #14 on: 31 May 2024, 11:04:46 »
Sorry, been a bit under the weather.

I'd use a straight metallic green - I'm very fond of Mr Hobby's paint, but I use a very eclectic mix of metallics other than Citadel Leadbelcher. And I do my lasers either metallic red, or orange contrast over silver (if the mini has a red base), so no issues there. The metallics give a self-highlighting which you can enhance by putting a little gloss varnish over them, after the matt sealing.

As shown here

You can also look at a metallic blue, or this strange paint colour - Aotake Blue - which is a metallic medium blue used only in some Japanese WW2 naval planes' wheel wells. I'll use one for PPCs, the other for cockpits.

The main thing is to have some contrast - the red cockpits here don't stand out compared to the excellent red highlighting. Just my 2 M-bill's worth :)
You are 100% correcting that the green cockpit would contrast better with the red highlighting.  I've now finished 5 Marik Militia mechs (this lance + the Wraith) and most have recessed cockpits that don't interfere too much with the red highlights.  The Guillotine however, with that prominent silly 'cockpit face' really doesn't look that great.

I have so much lined up on my paint bench that I don't think I'll go back and fix these just yet.  BUT I will take a really hard look at the green cockpit for my next Militia Lance (Wolverine, Griffin, Trebuchet, Hunchback).

Thanks for the honest feedback.  Never too late to improve something!

Neo-Tanuki

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #15 on: 06 June 2024, 12:47:22 »
That almost-black purple really stands out well to me!

MarauderD

• Major
« Reply #16 on: 07 June 2024, 10:53:53 »
That almost-black purple really stands out well to me!

Thanks!  It began as a happy accident a few years ago and it started growing on me.  Blackish purple Militia seems more threatening, so I kept it.  My own personal Bob Ross moment.

Link to the original mistake thread:  https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=74691.msg1753599#msg1753599
« Last Edit: 07 June 2024, 11:45:32 by MarauderD »