Author Topic: Optional Mortar Range Rule  (Read 812 times)

beachhead1985

• Major
  • 1st SOG; SLDF. "McKenna's Marauders"
    • Kilroy's Wall
Optional Mortar Range Rule
« on: 30 June 2024, 13:46:49 »
I read in another thread there was an optional rule for mortar range; *range*. Not indirect-fire.

It was quoted as being in tac ops, but I can't find it in my copy or the errata.

Where might I find this rule?

Thank you for your time.
Epitaph on an Army of Mercenaries

These, in the day when heaven was falling,      Their shoulders held the sky suspended;
The hour when earth's foundations fled,         They stood, and earth's foundations stay;
Followed their mercenary calling,               What God abandoned, these defended,
And took their wages, and are dead.             And saved the sum of things for pay.

A.E. Housman

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • Need a hand?
Re: Optional Mortar Range Rule
« Reply #1 on: 30 June 2024, 23:29:20 »
I don't believe I've heard of any such rule.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

beachhead1985

• Major
    • Kilroy's Wall
« Reply #2 on: 01 July 2024, 10:46:26 »
Alright, seems I was confused. Thank you.

These, in the day when heaven was falling,      Their shoulders held the sky suspended;
The hour when earth's foundations fled,         They stood, and earth's foundations stay;
Followed their mercenary calling,               What God abandoned, these defended,
And took their wages, and are dead.             And saved the sum of things for pay.

A.E. Housman

celemtine

• Recruit
    • SexDollTech
« Reply #3 on: 24 July 2024, 00:50:10 »
I read in another thread there was an optional rule for mortar range; *range*. Not indirect-fire.

It was quoted as being in tac ops, but I can't find it in my copy or the errata.

Thank you for your time.

Where did you read the rules?

beachhead1985

• Major
    • Kilroy's Wall
« Reply #4 on: 24 July 2024, 08:44:59 »
Where did you read the rules?

I can't find it now, I think I must have been mistaken in some way.

A.E. Housman

General308

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: 29 July 2024, 14:49:31 »

Thank you for your time.

Well tac ops has an Extreme range rule.  Which is not just for mortars but for all weapons.  Is that what you are thinking about?

beachhead1985

• Major
    • Kilroy's Wall
« Reply #6 on: 29 July 2024, 18:14:26 »
Well tac ops has an Extreme range rule.  Which is not just for mortars but for all weapons.  Is that what you are thinking about?

No, I found the thread after a few tries and I absolutely misread it. I still can't find anything about mortars on the noted pages, but it doesn't matter.

The handling of infantry mortars in the game infuriates me; I thought I saw a official-rules option to fix it and I went straight to my books and PDFs to try and find it and then here to ask why I couldn't find it. The rule never existed to begin with; that part of the thread was about mortars being *optionally* (!) indirect-fire weapons.

I was hoping for something else entirely, because mortars are practically worthless in game as they are now.

A.E. Housman

Daryk

• Major General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #7 on: 29 July 2024, 18:25:24 »
I took a swing at fixing them down in fan rules: https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=59692.0

I think they need more work.

beachhead1985

• Major
    • Kilroy's Wall
« Reply #8 on: 29 July 2024, 21:55:57 »
I took a swing at fixing them down in fan rules: https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=59692.0

I think they need more work.

I did something similar for my Der Tag AU.

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=51934.msg1520887#msg1520887

I think your ranges are a little long; I tried to balance real-world, with in-game artillery performance...which makes a lot more sense with a 100m hex than a 30m one...

A.E. Housman

Daryk

• Major General
« Reply #9 on: 30 July 2024, 03:07:28 »
Yikes!  That's some serious damage for not a lot of weight (avoiding details as this isn't fan rules).

beachhead1985

• Major
    • Kilroy's Wall
« Reply #10 on: 30 July 2024, 09:33:48 »
Yikes!  That's some serious damage for not a lot of weight (avoiding details as this isn't fan rules).

I based my calculations on comparisons of net explosive quantity and improved efficiency in mortar blasts, contrasted with previous extrapolations of equivalents for the extant tube artillery.

Mortars are prodigiously powerful weapons. An 81mm is about as effective down-range as a 105mm howitzer, a 120mm comparable to a 155mm.

A.E. Housman

Daryk

• Major General
« Reply #11 on: 30 July 2024, 15:57:59 »
I thought the 155mm was a Thumper equivalent...

beachhead1985

• Major
    • Kilroy's Wall
« Reply #12 on: 30 July 2024, 20:22:10 »
I thought the 155mm was a Thumper equivalent...

IIRC, when I did the weight of the rounds...1000kg/20...That gives me 50kg, which is about the weight of *just* a 155mm projectile (42-52ish-kg, depending) Add in the charges...and I figured that with the range bands, the thumper fit better.

For reference, off of Paul Mulcahy's pages (pretty authoritative for his research quality), I am seeing a complete round (separate loading) for 130mm HE is 59.1kg.

https://www.pmulcahy.com/ammunition/howitzer_rounds.html

A little handwavium, a dash of space magic and I can make that work.

A.E. Housman

DevianID

• Captain
« Reply #13 on: 31 July 2024, 23:25:33 »
Can mech mortars be used as field guns in the infantry optional field gun rules?  A MM1 would thus be a 2 person minimum field gun.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • Need a hand?
« Reply #14 on: 01 August 2024, 00:19:45 »
Pretty sure that field guns are limited to mech-scale direct-fire ballistic weapons, like autocannons and Gauss rifles.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Daryk

• Major General
« Reply #15 on: 01 August 2024, 17:21:12 »
Agreed, but I could be wrong (and I hope I am!)... ;)

beachhead1985

• Major
    • Kilroy's Wall
« Reply #16 on: 01 August 2024, 20:56:36 »
Pretty sure that field guns are limited to mech-scale direct-fire ballistic weapons, like autocannons and Gauss rifles.

Afraid you are correct. It would be a nice improvement...still woefully short range for anything decent-sized, but an improvement.

A.E. Housman