Author Topic: Is Duane Loose the worst Battletech artist? Let´s discuss Battlemech design  (Read 24780 times)

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Fight for something or Die for nothing
    • The Steel-Raven at DeviantArt
Nudging us back on topic, I'm still somewhat surprise we are talking about artwork on the mini section considering how often the mini doesn't match art portion wise.
Most recent case in point, the Mad Cat MKII Enhanced
http://hpgstation.de/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/Mad-Cat-Mk-II-Enhanced.gif
http://ironwindmetals.com/store/images/btmechs/20-5040-BW.jpg
Battletech Art and Commissions
http://steel-raven.deviantart.com

Domi1981

• Warrant Officer
Nudging us back on topic, I'm still somewhat surprise we are talking about artwork on the mini section considering how often the mini doesn't match art portion wise.
Most recent case in point, the Mad Cat MKII Enhanced
http://hpgstation.de/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/Mad-Cat-Mk-II-Enhanced.gif
http://ironwindmetals.com/store/images/btmechs/20-5040-BW.jpg

The problem I have with such minis is their inability to depict the dynamic of their movement. It looks static and by that takes away the whole awesomeness of what actually is a  rather nice design. A very brilliant example that solved that problem by using separate leg segments is the new Thunderbold-9M mini. Here I was able to mount everything in a way that it shows a big 65 ton mech thundering at me. (Picture as soon as I painted it).

For now I want to show the new Madcat I assembled and painted.
« Last Edit: 21 April 2014, 03:08:17 by Domi1981 »

Domi1981

• Warrant Officer
Someone the forum software doesn´t allow to post 2 pics in one post  :o

klarg1

• Captain
The problem I have with such minis is their inability to depict the dynamic of their movement. It looks static and by that takes away the whole awesomeness of what actually is a  rather nice design. A very brilliant example that solved that problem by using separate leg segments is the new Thunderbold-9M mini. Here I was able to mount everything in a way that it shows a big 65 ton mech thundering at me. (Picture as soon as I painted it).

For now I want to show the new Madcat I assembled and painted.

The debate about how IWM should part out a sculpt before casting has come up before. The issue is that there are a large number of people who want assembly to be as simple as possible, and I don't blame them. If you are not  deeply into the miniatures angle of the game, assembling a 10+ part figure can feel like a real chore.

Of course, I fall into the category of people who enjoy dismantling and re-arranging little metal robots:

...but I don't mind putting in the extra work, so it's all good.
« Last Edit: 21 April 2014, 07:47:14 by klarg1 »

Jimmyray73

• Lieutenant
  • I will not be toyed with!
Yeah, i don't get what the big deal is about the Yeoman.  It is missiles on legs.  It doesn't need arms.  If missiles on legs is wrong I don't want to be right!

I agree! I'm a big fan of the "Waffle Iron of DOOM!" look for the Yeoman.

As for Loose's work I love some, I hate some, I can deal with it either way. Except for maybe the original TRO 3058 Striker. That thing just looks like a dog's breakfast to me.

I kid, I kid!  Don't take it seriously.  Except I really hate the look of the Striker.
Endo has forgotten more about dispensing pain than you or I will ever know...

Acolyte

• Lieutenant
My main problem with the Yeoman is really one to do with the size of the missiles. LRM`s work out to be a little over 8 kg apeice. It`s a little frustrating `cause I like the look of the MadCat, for example, but what are those? Nerf LRM's?

Over sized weapons are probably my biggest complaint of BT art in general. Then again, I ignore it when the end results look cool. ;)

- Shane
It is by caffeine alone that I set my mind in motion
It is by the coffee that my thoughts acquire speed
My teeth acquire stains
The stains become a warning
It is by caffeine alone that I set my mind in motion.

Akalabeth

• Lieutenant
As for Loose's work I love some, I hate some, I can deal with it either way. Except for maybe the original TRO 3058 Striker. That thing just looks like a dog's breakfast to me.

I kid, I kid!  Don't take it seriously.  Except I really hate the look of the Striker.

Which one? Tank or the mech?

Jimmyray73

• Lieutenant
  • I will not be toyed with!
The goony looking Mech.  The Striker Light Tank is awesome looking in all known incarnations. I want one to drive to work.
« Last Edit: 22 April 2014, 21:40:06 by Jimmyray73 »
Endo has forgotten more about dispensing pain than you or I will ever know...

Mastergunz

• CamoSpecs
  • Captain
  • BBBBBBRRRRRRRTTTTTTTTTTTT
My main problem with the Yeoman is really one to do with the size of the missiles. LRM`s work out to be a little over 8 kg apeice. It`s a little frustrating `cause I like the look of the MadCat, for example, but what are those? Nerf LRM's?

Over sized weapons are probably my biggest complaint of BT art in general. Then again, I ignore it when the end results look cool. ;)

- Shane

Warning!Warning! I can hear the cat girls crying. Better stop that line of thinking.  ;D I always thought it was strange that the tip of the warhead is exposed and open to incoming fire. Your missile rack may be armored but i'm pretty sure a stray/lucky MG bullet would penetrate and possibly set off that missile sticking its nose out there. Now make there be 40 of those sticking out and compound that with those launchers composing a signifigant amount of your front on profile....yeah, best to just accept it as the rule of cool.  ;D

The archer did it right, protect that ordinance! The Madcat...not so much...
-Gunz
" also, didn't you know mechs are able to run their massive energy weapons and all only because of their super secret fusion engine designs? the fusion engines actually turn rage and tears generated on the internet, wirelessly into usable power for the machines." -steelblueskies

"I find that alcohol bestows a variety of tactical options."

"Hotwire your imagination into your sense of self-preservation, and see what percolates." -Weirdo

Follow along with my miniature exploits on my Facebook page, https://www.facebook.com/MastergunzPaintWorx

17th Spartans

• Warrant Officer
  • Long Live the Dragon! Long Live the Regiment!
 O0 Like! yeah what he said.  8)
The Dragon knows......
Long Live the Regiment!

maxoconnor

• Corporal
    • Glasgow Banshees
I would love to see every artist that has worked on the TRO's to draw the same mech, say the CLINT, Loose, Plogg, White etc, have each of them do the best version of that mech in a somewhat similar stance, that way people could really see the artists style in a clearly comparative way.
I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of my warpipes.

Domi1981

• Warrant Officer
I would love to see every artist that has worked on the TRO's to draw the same mech, say the CLINT, Loose, Plogg, White etc, have each of them do the best version of that mech in a somewhat similar stance, that way people could really see the artists style in a clearly comparative way.

Best idea ever! :D

klarg1

• Captain

Well, allowing for some era variation, the unseen come pretty close. The Thunderbolt has fairly similar lines across versions. You can find versions drawn by Duane Loose (TRO3025), Chris Lewis (Project Phoenix), Matt Plog (TRO3085) and Justin Nelson (XTRO Primitives III) There is also a version in TRO3050, but I'm not sure who the artist is.

The Battlemaster would probably be an even better example, but it hasn't appeared as a primitive yet.

Phobos

• Warrant Officer

These are 3 of my favorite designers now
http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Category:Works_by_Justin_Nelson

Sorry for the necromancy, stumbled upon this interesting thread by accident.

As for jsn, I was always wondering why there is such a discrepancy between his vehicle designs (mostly those in TRO Republic) and his mechs for example. I could barely believe they were done by the same artist.

On the original question, I think it would be very unfair to call Loose the worst artist. One has to consider when those images were made and what technology was available back then versus what artists can use now (Photoshop CS, Corel Draw, wacom etc.).
People have simply gotten much more sophisticated with that kind of stuff especially through making use of the new technologies available. If Loose was given the same jobs (and possibly more time) today, the results would obviously be much better than back then.
« Last Edit: 08 October 2014, 16:26:10 by Phobos »

IAMCLANWOLF

• Freelance Artist
  • Major
As for jsn, I was always wondering why there is such a discrepancy between his vehicle designs (mostly those in TRO Republic) and his mechs for example. I could barely believe they were done by the same artist.

In the end, it all comes down to art direction. That, and I was asked to illustrate from existing material with little or no deviation.
Not the most fun I've ever had, but not every assignment can be a reimagined unseen, or an uber-super II.     

Phobos

• Warrant Officer
In the end, it all comes down to art direction. That, and I was asked to illustrate from existing material with little or no deviation.
Not the most fun I've ever had, but not every assignment can be a reimagined unseen, or an uber-super II.   

Alright, thanks for the insight. I already thought that there must have been some reason other than skill, since your Challenger from Prototypes for instance looks very neat, same is true for the NLRM carrier. But that certain anti-air tank from 3145 Republic... ;)

IAMCLANWOLF

• Freelance Artist
  • Major
Yeah, I was bummed that there was not any wiggle room on some all of the MWDA designs, but that's all behind us now...I hope.  :)

Register