Author Topic: Is Duane Loose the worst Battletech artist? Let´s discuss Battlemech design  (Read 24779 times)

Domi1981

• Warrant Officer
Regardless of intent, the title, and this phrasing will generate a bashing or arguing thread.

Well, from my perspective the outcome of this thread rather proves you wrong ;)
I think the dicussion comes along very civilized.

Justin Nelson is a beast. I think his art is the future of battletech.

I couldn´t agree more. I indeed think thats the modern way of mechs how you see them today in Movies like "District 9". Very nice details. Think about how awesome it would be if he would create all the concepts as 3D models. But this would be too expensive. But Catalyst could maybe ask him to do 3D models for an aniversary booklet of Battletech.
« Last Edit: 10 April 2014, 07:38:16 by Domi1981 »

GunjiNoKanrei

• CamoSpecs
  • Lieutenant
  • tired ... very tired ...
    • darklined.com
Think about how awesome it would be if he would create all the concepts as 3D models.
Many of his designs have been released as miniatures by IWM, others are being sculpted right now. That's as 3D as it gets ;)

False Son

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Kot Blini
TOYNBEE IDEA
IN MOViE `2001
RESURRECT DEAD
ON PLANET JUPITER

Destroy what destroys you

Khell

• Master Sergeant
Loose gave us TRO-3057, a book I love above all other TROs.  I know you mean your words in jest and don't actually dislike his art, but on some backwater planets insulting the illustrator of the Clan refit Lola III could get you airlocked, or tied to a jumpsail tether and left floating in space for a full KF drive charge.  #P

If you want to talk about ugly art (everything from Dark Ages notwithstanding), over half of everything in TRO-3055 original, the Mackie, and the Blitzkrieg/Yeoman abominations of 3060 (seriously, armless mecha belong in Starsiege, not Battletech).

Domi1981

• Warrant Officer
If you want to talk about ugly art (everything from Dark Ages notwithstanding)).
ehem excuse me but I just ordered this awesome Vulture. Isn´t it Dark age. Idk but I think its beautifully detailed

The TRO 3057 is the only one I don´t own so I cannot say anything about this.

To be honest I like Loose´s designs not that much now that I know the new design by younger artists. The title of the thread is just a teasing because that was the impression I got after reading some threads on the interwebs where many people were really bashing on him. But to give you my opinion: I think that a designer with Loose´s abilities would not get a chance nowadays. Yet I respect his contribution to BT. I hope people can respect that opinion. You may want to look up the threads I posted in the first post of this thread. I have to give it to the critics that many of his mechdesigns look utterly stupid, like the Ostmechs and most of the mech´s feet.
If I compare Justin Nelsons designs for example with Loose I look at Loose´s designs and ask myself why are those lines there? With Nelson´s lines its all logical and clear. It seems like he really thought about how all these parts will behave in motion. With Loose its more about artsy sculptures that look somehow "scifi" but more artsyfartsy (sorry). I mean c´mon it was the 80´s we all know that everything was a bit "ambitious" back then. Like shoulder pads and stuff like this ;)
In sum I´m happy that Mechdesign arrived in the year 2014 :)

Maybe we will watch this thread in 2044?
« Last Edit: 10 April 2014, 11:05:15 by Domi1981 »

(SMD)MadCow

• Lieutenant
  • 1st Earl of the Bixby Duchy
I' ll probably be crucified for saying this, but I've never been a Doug Chaffee fan.
Just paging through the TRO 3085 and the art for the Ebony and Parash just dont feel like they belong in the same era as the Treburana and Night Wolf.

Maingunnery

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Pirates and C3 masters are on the hitlist
I' ll probably be crucified for saying this, but I've never been a Doug Chaffee fan.
Just paging through the TRO 3085 and the art for the Ebony and Parash just dont feel like they belong in the same era as the Treburana and Night Wolf.
That is more a case of an artist style fitting or not fitting an unit type.
Herb: "Well, now I guess we'll HAVE to print it. Sounds almost like the apocalypse I've been working for...."

The Society:Fan XTRO & Field Manual
Nebula California: HyperTube Xtreme & Nebula Confederation

Orin J.

• Captain
  • I am to feared! Aw, come on guys...
really it's all a matter of personal preferance in the end-

If I compare Justin Nelsons designs for example with Loose I look at Loose´s designs and ask myself why are those lines there? With Nelson´s lines its all logical and clear.

see, like this. i can't stand Nelson's designs, they look like overcorrected toy designs to me- there's no sense of weight or size to them. i prefer Loose's more practical style a great deal. but both sides are a matter of opinion.
The Grey Death Legion? Dead? Gotcha, wake me when it's back.....
--------------------------
Every once in a while things make sense.

Don't let these moments alarm you. They pass.

Maingunnery

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Pirates and C3 masters are on the hitlist
see, like this. i can't stand Nelson's designs, they look like overcorrected toy designs to me- there's no sense of weight or size to them. i prefer Loose's more practical style a great deal. but both sides are a matter of opinion.
Practical? Are we still speaking the same English?
Herb: "Well, now I guess we'll HAVE to print it. Sounds almost like the apocalypse I've been working for...."

The Society:Fan XTRO & Field Manual
Nebula California: HyperTube Xtreme & Nebula Confederation

Stinger

• Freelance Artist
  • Lieutenant
  • Artist, Writer, 3D Modeler Extraordinaire
I started filling my shop basket at some online store with mechs 4 months ago. Since I had a tight budget it put some minis in and out again. Now I´m glad I waited since found myself a new version of the Wolverine and the Thunderbolt. ANd I love them.

These look awesome ! Can someone tell me who designed them?

The wolverine II was drawn by Brent Evans, and the mech in turn was an update of an old MechForce mech, the Wolverine II

BTW, Brent Evans did the awesome work of the celestial series and the primitive mechs from TRO: 3075.  I really wish he still made art for battletech...

Kitsune413

• Major
  • Diamond Khanate Sakhan
Celestial Series are gorgeous.

David White is amazing too.
Every man lives by exchanging - Adam Smith

Cowdragon

• Captain
  • PM me for Ft. Collins CO battletech games
Loose is my favorite. the old TRO 3025 is still in the master bathroom and gets thumbed through almost daily. Plog is next in line for awesomeness...which is why the 3058 TRO is back there too, lol.

On wings of steel, Come I, Pillars of flame
Mark me, Fury bright as suns, Foes fear
The star back road, I hunt, Blood geld payment
Shan't be, The ravens throne, Blod Orn
- vidar (thank you vidar!!!)
Pie or Spehs and Tanks also BA

Papabees

• Lieutenant
Yeah, i don't get what the big deal is about the Yeoman.
Because it could have been this:

http://img.4plebs.org/boards/tg/image/1375/92/1375926170142.gif

17th Spartans

• Warrant Officer
  • Long Live the Dragon! Long Live the Regiment!
 O0 Hey that looks a lot better. So that in now the new Yoman then!  O0
The Dragon knows......
Long Live the Regiment!

Domi1981

• Warrant Officer

Could you guys be so kind to add Artist and source?

btw. I think that pic really shows how horrible many of the TRO 3058 mech designs are and what a talented artist could have done. The last two TROs by FASA really depicted their end, IMHO
« Last Edit: 12 April 2014, 02:01:29 by Domi1981 »

Lorcan Nagle

• 75 tons of heavy metal mayhem
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
(The Yeoman was in TRO 3060, not 3058)
The moderator formerly known as the user formerly known as nenechan

Papabees

• Lieutenant
Could you guys be so kind to add Artist and source?

Unfortunately no. I found that pic randomly browsing one day and saved it to eventually try to make a custom Yeoman.

TheDean

• Warrant Officer
It's very nice, I will have to do the same, thanks for the pic.

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Fight for something or Die for nothing
    • The Steel-Raven at DeviantArt
Unfortunately no. I found that pic randomly browsing one day and saved it to eventually try to make a custom Yeoman.

The Yeoman art was from a artist who went by Insidious, posted on the old forum. Did some awesome work for MekTek including that Yoeman for the MW4:Mercs free edition.

Shame, I can't even find his old Deviant Art site.
Battletech Art and Commissions
http://steel-raven.deviantart.com

ColonelCody

• Lieutenant
  • "What We Have Here, Is Failure To Communicate"
O0 Hey that looks a lot better. So that in now the new Yoman then!  O0
I agree it does look SOOOOOO much better. Still Fugly as hell but still much better. It doesn't look like my roommate's 10 year old drew it blindfolded with  a broken ruler.

Domi1981

• Warrant Officer
The Yeoman art was from a artist who went by Insidious...

Lol! I first read, "The Yeoman art was from a artist who went insidious..." like that he entered the FASA ship to corrupt their artwork like a troll. At least that would explain a lot :))

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
This was the last piece of BTU related artwork I know of posted by 'Sid

Domi1981

• Warrant Officer
This was the last piece of BTU ...

Lets keep it that way

klarg1

• Captain

I'll agree that is a tremendous improvement!
Adding some hips makes the leg arrangement look a whole lot more workable too.  :)

The original Yeoman artwork makes made me pine for the Reaper CAV Tiamat. (Not sure I can link to it here, since the only picture I know about is in Reaper's online store - a quick Google search will dig it up for you!)

@SteelRaven: That is... somehow terrifying, yet awesome.  O0

RebelRunner

• Warrant Officer
  • RELEASE THE KRAKEN!!!

Be afraid. Very afraid. Because I sure am...  :D ;D
*God Bless Regulus.
*A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.
* "Want someone out of a building for sure? Fire a magnesium parachute flare through the window. He’ll leave."

Mastergunz

• CamoSpecs
  • Captain
  • BBBBBBRRRRRRRTTTTTTTTTTTT

And an orky-fied Urbie.....yup, my next project me thinks!  ;D

-Gunz
" also, didn't you know mechs are able to run their massive energy weapons and all only because of their super secret fusion engine designs? the fusion engines actually turn rage and tears generated on the internet, wirelessly into usable power for the machines." -steelblueskies

"I find that alcohol bestows a variety of tactical options."

"Hotwire your imagination into your sense of self-preservation, and see what percolates." -Weirdo

Follow along with my miniature exploits on my Facebook page, https://www.facebook.com/MastergunzPaintWorx

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
Lets keep it that way
There was better stuff, like the pair of Mad Dogs/Vaulters on a grassy plain running at full speed with Dropships in the background (MekTek used it as a background for their webpage before going Heavy Gear) but unfortunately I cannot find it anywhere on the web now his DA page is gone. I'll load up his Atlas on Tumblr later so it won't be forgotten.

SteelWarrior

• Lieutenant
    • SteelWarrior Battletech
I get a good laugh at thosecwho think the 3025 art was all that.

Step 1 - Watch Macross
Step 2 - Redraw the mechs in the show
Step 3 - ????
Step 4 - Profit

:p
Check out my Battletech Youtube Channel at:

SteelWarrior Battletech
https://www.youtube.com/user/SteelWarriorBT

For Video Battle Reports/Hobby Tutorials/Product Reviews

Wikkid

• Warrant Officer
I get a good laugh at thosecwho think the 3025 art was all that.

Step 1 - Watch Macross
Step 2 - Redraw the mechs in the show
Step 3 - ????
Step 4 - Profit

:p

I love Macross and TRO3025. I think I have missed your point.
Be Pure. Be Vigilant. Behave!

Mastergunz

• CamoSpecs
  • Captain
  • BBBBBBRRRRRRRTTTTTTTTTTTT
Honestly, it's a matter of nestalgia pure and simple. Those of us who got into the game in the beggining are always going to have a soft spot for Loose' work because that was the face of the game at the time and that is what captured us. Has there been better (technically speaking) artwork and designs since; yes. But there has also been some really off the wall and,IMHO opinion, really crap-tastic designs aesthetically (im looking at you Jinggau!). When TRo 3039 came out I didn't like the way the mechs were drawn but they were faithful to the originals. I liked the PP designs much better and then David White, Justin Nelson, Matt Plog, Anthony Scroggins, and the rest of the 'new breed' came along and really breathed some life into the design aesthetics again.

-Gunz
" also, didn't you know mechs are able to run their massive energy weapons and all only because of their super secret fusion engine designs? the fusion engines actually turn rage and tears generated on the internet, wirelessly into usable power for the machines." -steelblueskies

"I find that alcohol bestows a variety of tactical options."

"Hotwire your imagination into your sense of self-preservation, and see what percolates." -Weirdo

Follow along with my miniature exploits on my Facebook page, https://www.facebook.com/MastergunzPaintWorx