Author Topic: The Rasalhague Dominion: Friend of a Friend (but not your Friend)  (Read 200504 times)

Tyler Jorgensson

• Captain
Re: The Rasalhague Dominion: Friend of a Friend (but not your Friend)
« Reply #240 on: 27 January 2015, 13:18:00 »
http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Blood_Asp

Sounds like you want a Blood Asp or a Warhawk?

In the firepower/mobility/protection triangle Executioners are all about protection and mobility. The protection and mobility allow you to place the reduced firepower more specifically.
A Blood Asp or a Warhawk offer a more balanced package with similar protection but reduced mobility and increased firepower.

I think what most people tend to find with the Executioner is that it is more fun to play. The more traditional 'Mechs tend to favour grinding tactics. The Executioner can misposition most assaults then take them apart. It is a higher risk, more exciting style of play. Believe me, when you lose those jump jets you miss the ability to just get out of trouble.

It actually creates an interesting dynamic. In most toumans the fire support is in the assault 'Mech. Heavies run point and mediums flank. With CGB anything can be on point (Executioner, Thor or Storm Crow), heavies provide fire support (Mad Dog), and heavies and mediums flank (Executioner or Thor).

Yeah: I always used to use a Dire Wolf for my heaviest firepower. Playing MWO made me realize that that firepower comes at a cost: speed. I switched to a Warhawk and found that the resulting drop in firepower was worth the speed.

However, like the previous discussion, pod mounted jump jets would be excellent. That's where the Executioner II would excel in my opinion. All that pod space could be outfitted with JJ and the original armament (tweaked a bit of course), or with more firepower.

I don't know. I need to get more games in with MM and more mech moding sessions with SSW to make it even a legitimate 'I really know what I'm talking about' post lol

Esedemicus

• Recruit
« Reply #241 on: 28 January 2015, 08:37:00 »
A new Ghost Bear here!!

MidfieldMarauder

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Master Sergeant
  • There's always another option.
« Reply #242 on: 28 January 2015, 10:42:26 »
A new Ghost Bear here!!

Welcome to the Clan. I'm always interested in asking this of people who have just found the Ghost Bears (or are new to the forums and expressing their allegiance), what drew you towards Clan Ghost Bear?
Dave "Middy" Martin
CDT Agent #880

Author of "Lost Ghosts" (Shrapnel #9), "That Old Highlander Way" (Slack Tide Anthology), "In Service to the Dragon" (Gray Markets Anthology), and the BattleCorps stories "Loyalty's Price" and "Risk of Honor"

BigDuke66

• Master Sergeant
  • Last of the Wilds!
« Reply #243 on: 28 January 2015, 10:55:39 »
Fur what else.

Foxx Ital

• Captain
  • Still Clanilicious
« Reply #244 on: 28 January 2015, 11:38:30 »
A new Ghost Bear here!!

Welcome to the sibko Trothkin!

Fur what else.

Yes, the clawing ritual is pretty sweet  8)
Clan Ghost Bear:  We may not like you, but you're not bothering us, so you may exist.
 If your BA tactics can't be described as shenanigans, you're probably doing it wrong. ^-^ -Weirdo
 <Kojak> Yeah, there's definitely a learning curve with BA, But once you learn how to use 'em well they're addictive,heck, just look at what happened to Foxx ;-)
<Steve_Restless> its YOU who I shouldn't underestimate. I could give you a broom handle and I'd find you sitting on top of the enemy stormcrow, smug surat grin on your face

Ghostbear_Gurdel

• Lieutenant
  • Live by the Sword...
« Reply #245 on: 28 January 2015, 11:44:22 »
....if you survive.  ;)
"The real question is, just how badly do you want to pound your opponent?  You can do things to your opponent with an ASF that are illegal in 39 states and 14 countries, and that's without even trying hard." - Paladin1
Member No. 3 of the JM6 haters club

Foxx Ital

• Captain
  • Still Clanilicious
« Reply #246 on: 28 January 2015, 13:57:43 »
....if you survive.  ;)

Well its not entirely uncommon to come away from the clawing and not run into the ghost bear. They are the masters of hide and seek...unfortunately you have to be wary they don't end up being the ones seeking while you try to hide  ;D

Not that other clans don't have some cool rituals, but i think ours not only takes the cake, it writes its initials in the snow...in cursive.
Clan Ghost Bear:  We may not like you, but you're not bothering us, so you may exist.
 If your BA tactics can't be described as shenanigans, you're probably doing it wrong. ^-^ -Weirdo
 <Kojak> Yeah, there's definitely a learning curve with BA, But once you learn how to use 'em well they're addictive,heck, just look at what happened to Foxx ;-)
<Steve_Restless> its YOU who I shouldn't underestimate. I could give you a broom handle and I'd find you sitting on top of the enemy stormcrow, smug surat grin on your face

Ghostbear_Gurdel

• Lieutenant
  • Live by the Sword...
« Reply #247 on: 28 January 2015, 14:00:27 »
Not only the Ghost Bear, but you are undertaking the ritual in arctic conditions with a bare minimum of supplies. The weather alone is enough to kill.
"The real question is, just how badly do you want to pound your opponent?  You can do things to your opponent with an ASF that are illegal in 39 states and 14 countries, and that's without even trying hard." - Paladin1

MidfieldMarauder

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Master Sergeant
« Reply #248 on: 28 January 2015, 14:45:46 »
I would imagine half the prestige is being nominated to partake in the Clawing in the first place.
Dave "Middy" Martin
CDT Agent #880

Author of "Lost Ghosts" (Shrapnel #9), "That Old Highlander Way" (Slack Tide Anthology), "In Service to the Dragon" (Gray Markets Anthology), and the BattleCorps stories "Loyalty's Price" and "Risk of Honor"

Foxx Ital

• Captain
  • Still Clanilicious
« Reply #249 on: 28 January 2015, 14:52:16 »
I would imagine half the prestige is being nominated to partake in the Clawing in the first place.

You pretty much have to have participated in the clawing to advanced to star col. and above i believe.

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs
« Reply #250 on: 28 January 2015, 15:34:33 »
For me it is the sense of family and friendship within the Clan. That they are far more measured and restrained than say almost all the others until suitably provoked.  Of the Invader Clans they are definately in my mind the rational clan of the lot.

That and we get some awesome mechs!
Ghost Bears: Cute and cuddly. Until you remember its a BLOODY BEAR!

Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs - https://thezhukovau.wordpress.com/

Zeruel

• Lieutenant
  • the Angel of Might
    • Z's DeviantArt gallery
« Reply #251 on: 28 January 2015, 18:25:13 »
Because ...  DFA

which is just as doable with pod mounted JJs
"I'll give the Bears this... they do not care about "being clan" one bit, and they own it." - cold1

"Question: Under zellbrigen, how does one engage Shadow Divisions?
Answer: With orbital bombardment."

73rd Battle Cluster - The Lash

Foxx Ital

• Captain
  • Still Clanilicious
« Reply #252 on: 28 January 2015, 18:55:21 »
which is just as doable with pod mounted JJs

Or running off a lvl3/higher cliff onto the poor sucker  O:-)

If you don't have jump jets its time to get creative!!

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #253 on: 04 February 2015, 07:50:02 »
A quick question, I assume that in the current period (3145 ish) that the Arcas is still around and in production, its a 'second line mech' and unless the Bears have replaced it with one of the many flavours of Ursii, Ursusususses I don't think it would be replaced even if it did start production 84 years ago now.

GBscientist

• Warrant Officer
  • It could always be worse.
« Reply #254 on: 04 February 2015, 12:05:11 »
Given the prominence of the Arcas in the RasDom 3145 RAT, if the Arcas isn't in production, then there must be a significant stockpile of them.

Yes, I have returned, by the way.  I recently developed a metal crack addiction that has drawn me back here.
"Peace through superior firepower."- Arsenal of Freedom, ST:TNG

Foxx Ital

• Captain
  • Still Clanilicious
« Reply #255 on: 04 February 2015, 13:13:03 »
What GBS said! Welcome back Trothkin!

GBscientist

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #256 on: 04 February 2015, 14:34:19 »
Thanks, Foxx.

On the topic of the Arcas, I just put mine together yesterday.  I purchased it from Iron Wind while it was on Archive Special Return and since its only three pieces, I chose it as one of my first units to put together.  I won't post a pic, since it's just bare metal, but I'm pretty pleased with it.

MidfieldMarauder

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Master Sergeant
« Reply #257 on: 05 February 2015, 11:55:52 »
Yesterday, I revisited an idea for a fun combined arms force that I had over a year ago, right after the 3145 TROs were released. It was an idea for a Watch Crisis Response Team designed to handle primarily domestic threats. Below is a roster that I'm looking at, thinking about how cool it would be to put it on the table and see my opponent's face.

Crisis Alpha
5 Constable Pacification Suits
5 Constable Pacification Suits
Ursus 3
Ursus 3
2 Tyr Infantry Support Tanks

Crisis Beta
Clan Assault Infantry (20 Heavy Infantry)
Clan Assault Infantry (20 Heavy Infantry)
2 APCs
2 Donar Assault Helicopters
2 LRM Carriers

« Last Edit: 05 February 2015, 12:08:58 by MidfieldMarauder »
Dave "Middy" Martin
CDT Agent #880

Zeruel

• Lieutenant
  • the Angel of Might
    • Z's DeviantArt gallery
« Reply #258 on: 06 February 2015, 01:54:16 »
Thanks, Foxx.

On the topic of the Arcas, I just put mine together yesterday.  I purchased it from Iron Wind while it was on Archive Special Return and since its only three pieces, I chose it as one of my first units to put together.  I won't post a pic, since it's just bare metal, but I'm pretty pleased with it.

O0

good to see you back dude, be sure to post up pics when you get'er painted up :)
"I'll give the Bears this... they do not care about "being clan" one bit, and they own it." - cold1

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #259 on: 06 February 2015, 04:34:55 »
Welcome back and thank you for the updates about the Arcas, I don't know what the Dominions RAT is for 3145 but I would assume that the Arcas is as common as muck which is a good thing considering how potent a machine it is.

WarGod

• Lieutenant
« Reply #260 on: 08 February 2015, 21:47:09 »
long time fan of CGB, first time poster on this thread.  Love how the Ghost bears where smart enough to integrate there spheroid population.
A knight in shining armor is a man who has never had his metal truly tested
You're falling through the air in a Grenadier. Style went out the window long before you did.

GBscientist

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #261 on: 09 February 2015, 12:19:34 »
Thank you both.

O0

good to see you back dude, be sure to post up pics when you get'er painted up :)

Don't hold your breath on that one.  I'm even more inexperienced with paint than I am with glue.

Welcome back and thank you for the updates about the Arcas, I don't know what the Dominions RAT is for 3145 but I would assume that the Arcas is as common as muck which is a good thing considering how potent a machine it is.

I agree that it is both common and effective, but it's not one of my favourite units because I prefer Standard Fusion Engines in my Second Line 'mechs to keep the costs down.

ArcaneRaven

• Lieutenant
« Reply #262 on: 20 February 2015, 07:44:01 »
Short question: Ghost Bear Warriors use the standard daggerstar as rank insignia? Or is it the Point Commander's insignia just without the golden bar?

Archangel

• Major
« Reply #263 on: 20 February 2015, 12:57:59 »
Short question: Ghost Bear Warriors use the standard daggerstar as rank insignia? Or is it the Point Commander's insignia just without the golden bar?

Pre-Jihad (and more importantly pre-Rasalhague Dominion), all Ghost Bear rank insignias were derived from the insignia of the Khans, a stylized bear's head in gold.  The further away in rank you get from the Khan the less one's insignia resembles that of the Khan's.  For example, the Galaxy Commander's insignia is simply the Khan's split in two while a point commander's insignia is simply a gold bar with ear-like protrusions at the top.
Detect evil first, smite second and ask questions later.

ArcaneRaven

• Lieutenant
« Reply #264 on: 20 February 2015, 13:42:27 »
Thanks, but I know the entry from Field Manual: Warden Clans. This entry does not answer my question.

BTW: I think it does not matter wether pre-Rasalhague Dominion or not, the clans rank insignias should be the same.

Atlas3060

• ugh this guy again
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Just some rando
« Reply #265 on: 20 February 2015, 13:52:20 »
That and we get some awesome mechs!
That is the one thing I can not say if I believe is a curse or a blessing.
Our Mech selections through the various years.
What I mean by that is check the RATs from the books.

I go through the Jihad stuff, most of my 3050 force is still solid enough to play.
My friends' forces, they adjust with the new tech and new losses to chassis.
Wars of Reaving? Similar things based on the fluff I read.
3085? Similar results.
Freaking 3145 and we still have Warhawks, Dragonflys, Pumas, etc while nearly most of the other Clans go to other chassis due to...reasons.

I am glad that I did not have to purchase too many minis for my forces to stand the test of time.  8)
Then again, I sometimes wonder how those new toys feel.  :-\
Oh well, that is why we have Trials of Possession and raids!  >:D
It's not about winning or losing, no it's all about how many chapters have you added to the rule books after your crazy antics.

Zeruel

• Lieutenant
  • the Angel of Might
    • Z's DeviantArt gallery
« Reply #266 on: 20 February 2015, 15:38:27 »
Thank you both.

Don't hold your breath on that one.  I'm even more inexperienced with paint than I am with glue.

only one way to get better, practice practice practice O0

Archangel

• Major
« Reply #267 on: 20 February 2015, 21:59:01 »
Thanks, but I know the entry from Field Manual: Warden Clans. This entry does not answer my question.

It answered the general question asked which apparently was not the specific question you had in mind when you posted it.  If you are looking for a more specific answer then you need to ask a more specific question.

BTW: I think it does not matter wether pre-Rasalhague Dominion or not, the clans rank insignias should be the same.

One can infer from the Ghost Bear Khan Dalia Bekker's image in ER3145 (p108) that the insignia has remained more or less the same since the GBD-FRR merger.
Detect evil first, smite second and ask questions later.

Ghostbear_Gurdel

• Lieutenant
  • Live by the Sword...
« Reply #268 on: 20 February 2015, 22:23:28 »
That is the one thing I can not say if I believe is a curse or a blessing.
Our Mech selections through the various years.
What I mean by that is check the RATs from the books.

I go through the Jihad stuff, most of my 3050 force is still solid enough to play.
My friends' forces, they adjust with the new tech and new losses to chassis.
Wars of Reaving? Similar things based on the fluff I read.
3085? Similar results.
Freaking 3145 and we still have Warhawks, Dragonflys, Pumas, etc while nearly most of the other Clans go to other chassis due to...reasons.

I am glad that I did not have to purchase too many minis for my forces to stand the test of time.  8)
Then again, I sometimes wonder how those new toys feel.  :-\
Oh well, that is why we have Trials of Possession and raids!  >:D
Hey!
We get Mad Dog IIIs and Mad Dog IVs now!  O0

ArcaneRaven

• Lieutenant
« Reply #269 on: 21 February 2015, 03:26:51 »
It answered the general question asked which apparently was not the specific question you had in mind when you posted it.  If you are looking for a more specific answer then you need to ask a more specific question.

Indeed. Maybe my horrible English is to blame for this misunderstanding. I wasn't asking for all the rank insignias of the warrior caste in general, but for the rank of warrior in particular. The Field Manual depicts all rank devices from point commander to khan, but omits the rank of warrior. The entry cited above does not describe the device either. But in the first few pages it is mentioned, that warriors display a daggerstar, insinuating that this may be the case if there's no clan-specific device. I just wanted to know, if this is the case for Ghost Bear warriors (rank, not caste members in general) or if there are other sources implementing otherwise.

Register