Author Topic: The Rasalhague Dominion: Friend of a Friend (but not your Friend)  (Read 201368 times)

ActionButler

• Global Moderator
  • Major
Re: The Rasalhague Dominion: Friend of a Friend (but not your Friend)
« Reply #300 on: 04 March 2015, 09:10:10 »
(This of course includes the music from the animated Transformers movie naturally).

Any army that doesn't include that in its playlist is terrible and clearly destined for failure.
Experimental Technical Readout: The School
http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=56420.0

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs
« Reply #301 on: 04 March 2015, 09:36:09 »
Any army that doesn't include that in its playlist is terrible and clearly destined for failure.

Great now you've got me thinking about what the Clan's playlists were..

The Jags would have been INCREDIBLY ANGRY growly Norse/Finnish death metal full of grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrowling.
Ghost Bears: Cute and cuddly. Until you remember its a BLOODY BEAR!

Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs - https://thezhukovau.wordpress.com/

Foxx Ital

• Captain
  • Still Clanilicious
« Reply #302 on: 04 March 2015, 12:46:54 »
I could see the Valkyrie clusters rocking out to "Dynamite Explosion"
Clan Ghost Bear:  We may not like you, but you're not bothering us, so you may exist.
 If your BA tactics can't be described as shenanigans, you're probably doing it wrong. ^-^ -Weirdo
 <Kojak> Yeah, there's definitely a learning curve with BA, But once you learn how to use 'em well they're addictive,heck, just look at what happened to Foxx ;-)
<Steve_Restless> its YOU who I shouldn't underestimate. I could give you a broom handle and I'd find you sitting on top of the enemy stormcrow, smug surat grin on your face

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #303 on: 05 March 2015, 00:22:09 »

Thinking like this surely led to Toto doing the soundtrack for Lynch's version of Dune.  To this day while watching that movie (on the rare occasion), every time I hear the classic "foreboding" metal guitar droning F sharp to E shift (or the battle time diddy in G), I say out loud "#^$%#* Toto!".

Too bad Iron Maiden couldn't have done the soundtrack to that. 

This post had a point, but it's not very Ghost Bearly.  We're drifting...Oh yeah!  Toto would be a terrible name for a Ghost Bear, were Ghost Bears real animals.  That ties it in kind of.
Playing Guitar On My YouTube Channel:
Current cover tune: "The Wind Cries Mary" (by Jimi Hendrix)
https://youtu.be/m6a8wZiCsjM?si=0w7tVOgk7yylNv6a

"Thou shalt not create a machine in the image of the human mind." ~ The Orange Catholic Bible, Dune, Frank Herbert

Esedemicus

• Recruit
« Reply #304 on: 06 March 2015, 00:49:42 »
I played battletech before the clans appeared, when they appeared I liked them and I felt specially attracted to the Ghost Bears even though they were the less developed invading clan those days

Welcome to the Clan. I'm always interested in asking this of people who have just found the Ghost Bears (or are new to the forums and expressing their allegiance), what drew you towards Clan Ghost Bear?

Zeruel

• Lieutenant
  • the Angel of Might
    • Z's DeviantArt gallery
« Reply #305 on: 06 March 2015, 02:13:44 »
welcome trothkin :)
"I'll give the Bears this... they do not care about "being clan" one bit, and they own it." - cold1

"Question: Under zellbrigen, how does one engage Shadow Divisions?
Answer: With orbital bombardment."

73rd Battle Cluster - The Lash

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #306 on: 06 March 2015, 02:40:28 »
Aye welcome to the Den trothkin!

ActionButler

• Global Moderator
  • Major
« Reply #307 on: 09 March 2015, 10:48:37 »
Alright ladies and gentlebears, I need a new galaxy. 

I just finished up on my Alpha star this weekend.  I have a handful of extra omnis sitting around, but most of my spare mechs are definitely second-line equipment (think Supernova, Ursus, Grizzly, Kodiak, Piranha).  The era I am aiming for is somewhere around Late-Invasion/Early-Civil War.  Right now, I have narrowed the options down to either Theta, or Tau.  Theta has the advantage of being really different from the blue/grey of Alpha, but has the disadvantage of being primarily white.  Tau has the advantage of not being primarily white, but has the disadvantage of looking an awful lot like Alpha (blue/grey camo on the arms and legs).  Tau also has the advantage of being relatively well-liked by the citizens of the OZ, so... that's something, too.  Some general arctic camo is also an option, I suppose, but may or may not look a lot like the Alpha Galaxy scheme AND require a lot of white paint. 

Anyway, suggestions are very welcome.  These won't get painted until I finish with the rest of my Spheroid lances, but I like taking a long time to plan out supplies and such. 

Cheers!

MidfieldMarauder

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Master Sergeant
  • There's always another option.
« Reply #308 on: 09 March 2015, 12:54:40 »
Alright ladies and gentlebears, I need a new galaxy. 

I just finished up on my Alpha star this weekend.  I have a handful of extra omnis sitting around, but most of my spare mechs are definitely second-line equipment (think Supernova, Ursus, Grizzly, Kodiak, Piranha).  The era I am aiming for is somewhere around Late-Invasion/Early-Civil War.  Right now, I have narrowed the options down to either Theta, or Tau.  Theta has the advantage of being really different from the blue/grey of Alpha, but has the disadvantage of being primarily white.  Tau has the advantage of not being primarily white, but has the disadvantage of looking an awful lot like Alpha (blue/grey camo on the arms and legs).  Tau also has the advantage of being relatively well-liked by the citizens of the OZ, so... that's something, too.  Some general arctic camo is also an option, I suppose, but may or may not look a lot like the Alpha Galaxy scheme AND require a lot of white paint. 

Anyway, suggestions are very welcome.  These won't get painted until I finish with the rest of my Spheroid lances, but I like taking a long time to plan out supplies and such. 

Cheers!

If you're looking at Tau Galaxy, your available `Mechs may be a good fit for the 1st Bear Regulars in that time frame.
Dave "Middy" Martin
CDT Agent #880

Author of "Lost Ghosts" (Shrapnel #9), "That Old Highlander Way" (Slack Tide Anthology), "In Service to the Dragon" (Gray Markets Anthology), and the BattleCorps stories "Loyalty's Price" and "Risk of Honor"

ActionButler

• Global Moderator
  • Major
« Reply #309 on: 09 March 2015, 14:48:02 »
Actually, the 1st Regulars were exactly who I had in mind if I opted for Tau Galaxy.  I suppose I could use a different shade of grey for the camo on the arms and legs to keep the scheme from looking too similar to Alpha.

Jellico

• Spatium Magister
  • Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • BattleMechs are the lords of the battlefield
« Reply #310 on: 11 March 2015, 14:37:22 »
The top three Clans in 3050 were the Wolves, Falcons, and Jaguars. The Bear's position as an Invader was due to its willingness to bid low where Clans like the Adders refused to play at all.

Honestly I don't know who would be second tier other than the Bears and Vipers. Eg I am not sure that the Adders belong because their big boost seems to coincide with absorbing the Burrocks.

Zeruel

• Lieutenant
  • the Angel of Might
    • Z's DeviantArt gallery
« Reply #311 on: 11 March 2015, 15:20:46 »
hey Jell, think you posted that response in the wrong thread? looks more like it was responding to Weaponx in the Clan Builder thread (though maybe you two might want to bring it here to not derail that one)
"I'll give the Bears this... they do not care about "being clan" one bit, and they own it." - cold1

WeaponX

• Warrant Officer
  • Ghost Bear Maniac
    • Ghost Bear Mania
« Reply #312 on: 11 March 2015, 19:18:40 »
The top three Clans in 3050 were the Wolves, Falcons, and Jaguars. The Bear's position as an Invader was due to its willingness to bid low where Clans like the Adders refused to play at all.

My opinion is that anyone who made it to the Invasion, even the "reserve Clans" belong to the "first-tier" of the Clans, granted the Bears may be in the lower end of "first-tiers" if you compare them to the "top three", but if you expand it to "top-four", you'd definately have to include the Bears in there.

Honestly I don't know who would be second tier other than the Bears and Vipers. Eg I am not sure that the Adders belong because their big boost seems to coincide with absorbing the Burrocks.

There's the problem, how many "tiers" are there? And how many Clans to a tier?  As I said previously I believe that anyone who made it to the Invasion (even the reservists) deserve to be called first-tier Clans.  The Bears may have gotten in by bidding low, but that's also how the Falcons and Jaguars got their place.  The fact that even while bidding so low those Clans still managed to carve out as sizable chunk of the Inner Sphere shows that they had something to back up their low bid.  If you put someone who wasn't already a reserve Invasion Clan like say the Cloud Cobras or Blood Spirits in place of the Bears, I don't think they'd have done as well.  Even if you put the Adders in their place, I don't think they'd have done as well, since I think that the Adders were the epitome of a second-tier Clan up until the big boys went away and gave them some room to grow into a low end first-tier Clan similar to the Bears, and that was only really possible because of the almost neat absorption of Clan Burrock, which was itself a pretty strong second-tier Clan as well.
"Do you not understand the nature of the Bear?  For months he sleeps in hibernation, but do not dare disturb him.  The Bear's anger is unforgiving once provoked."

-Mechwarrior Zane
  Clan Nova Cat

Zeruel

• Lieutenant
  • the Angel of Might
    • Z's DeviantArt gallery
« Reply #313 on: 12 March 2015, 00:26:49 »
If you put someone who wasn't already a reserve Invasion Clan like say the Cloud Cobras or Blood Spirits in place of the Bears, I don't think they'd have done as well.

well let's be honest, have a different Clan in place of the Bears, they would have done the same performance to meet the requirements of the story ;)

but more seriously, while having "tiers" of Clans is a fairly arbitrary thing, i never pegged the Bears as being in the same class as the Wolves, Falcons and Jags
what they had going for them was having a large touman and their cautious approach, rather than highly skilled warriors, allowed them to usually be successful in combat

Foxx Ital

• Captain
  • Still Clanilicious
« Reply #314 on: 12 March 2015, 22:04:33 »
Nobody blackmails the ghostbears!!!!! ....we didn't need iC3 anyway  ;D
Clan Ghost Bear:  We may not like you, but you're not bothering us, so you may exist.
 If your BA tactics can't be described as shenanigans, you're probably doing it wrong. ^-^ -Weirdo
 <Kojak> Yeah, there's definitely a learning curve with BA, But once you learn how to use 'em well they're addictive,heck, just look at what happened to Foxx ;-)
<Steve_Restless> its YOU who I shouldn't underestimate. I could give you a broom handle and I'd find you sitting on top of the enemy stormcrow, smug surat grin on your face

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #315 on: 14 March 2015, 07:42:18 »

*pounds his fist against the table yelling an agreement before making sure the Freeborns get as much of it as possible and are told 'go nuts'*

WeaponX

• Warrant Officer
  • Ghost Bear Maniac
    • Ghost Bear Mania
« Reply #316 on: 14 March 2015, 09:56:16 »

The only tragedy to come from the whole Beowulf IIC-PR experiment was not what the Bears did with it, since under Clan customs and traditions its perfectly OK to wipe out dark caste members in the most efficient way possible, but that the Bears caved to outside pressure and gave up their forays into incorporating C3i's into their way of fighting.  The Bears might still be capable of building the tech, but they'd have lost years of potential experience on the best way to properly utilize C3i's in the event that they ever brought it back into their equipment list at a later date.
« Last Edit: 14 March 2015, 09:57:56 by WeaponX »
"Do you not understand the nature of the Bear?  For months he sleeps in hibernation, but do not dare disturb him.  The Bear's anger is unforgiving once provoked."

-Mechwarrior Zane
  Clan Nova Cat

Atlas3060

• ugh this guy again
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Just some rando
« Reply #317 on: 17 March 2015, 16:33:25 »
C3i, isn't that where our Elementals just hold the enemy Mech while ours pounds it into the ground?
It's not about winning or losing, no it's all about how many chapters have you added to the rule books after your crazy antics.

Foxx Ital

• Captain
  • Still Clanilicious
« Reply #318 on: 17 March 2015, 17:12:36 »
C3i, isn't that where our Elementals just hold the enemy Mech while ours pounds it into the ground?

I thought it was where Kobold IIC's tag the Surat out of someone while the huey's pound it back to the golden ages.

SteveRestless

• Major
« Reply #319 on: 17 March 2015, 20:09:56 »
I thought it was where Kobold IIC's tag the Surat out of someone while the huey's pound it back to the golden ages.

Sibkid Tested, Ghost Bear Approved.
Шонхорын хурдаар хурцлан давшъя, Чонын зоригоор асан дүрэлзэье, Тэнхээт морьдын туурайгаар нүргэе, Тамгат Чингисийн ухаанаар даръя | Let’s go faster than a falcon, Let’s burn with the wolf’s courage, Let’s roar with the hooves of strong horses, Let’s go with the wisdom of Tamgat Genghis - The Hu, Wolf Totem

Atlas3060

• ugh this guy again
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Just some rando
« Reply #320 on: 17 March 2015, 22:04:55 »
The Khans see wisdom in this plan.
It is a solid plan.
It's not about winning or losing, no it's all about how many chapters have you added to the rule books after your crazy antics.

Foxx Ital

• Captain
  • Still Clanilicious
« Reply #321 on: 18 March 2015, 00:03:59 »
When the Republic takes away your iC3 and gives you lemons...you put stealth on stuff and squirt lemonaid in their eyes  #P

David CGB

• Lieutenant
« Reply #322 on: 22 March 2015, 05:15:42 »
When the Republic takes away your iC3 and gives you lemons...you put stealth on stuff and squirt lemonaid in their eyes  #P
and then take away better toys from someone else....
Federated Suns fan forever, Ghost Bear Fan since 1992, and as a Ghost Bear David Bekker star captain (in an Alt TL Loremaster)

GBscientist

• Warrant Officer
  • It could always be worse.
« Reply #323 on: 25 March 2015, 14:09:46 »
I'm confused.  What is this Beowulf IIC-PR that you speak of?  Who pressured the Bears to abandon C3i research?
"Peace through superior firepower."- Arsenal of Freedom, ST:TNG

Zeruel

• Lieutenant
  • the Angel of Might
    • Z's DeviantArt gallery
« Reply #324 on: 25 March 2015, 15:59:42 »
I know there's an Ursus-PR that has C3i...

Fletch

• Captain
« Reply #325 on: 25 March 2015, 16:03:10 »
Who pressured the Bears to abandon C3i research?

The Republic

Jaim Magnus

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Assisting you and your enemies equally.
« Reply #326 on: 25 March 2015, 16:58:37 »
The Republic

Blasted interfering Spheroids.
BattleCorps - Righteous Fury, Sorrow of Eden, Lady of Steel, I Was Lost, Forsaken : Legacy - The Forgotten Places : Shrapnel - Scavenger's Blood : ELH Chronicles - View from the Ground : Shrapnel - It Ends in Fire, Picking the Bones

Zeruel

• Lieutenant
  • the Angel of Might
    • Z's DeviantArt gallery
« Reply #327 on: 25 March 2015, 18:25:47 »
well in fairness, the game has to stay balanced somehow, yea?
C3 and C3i are one of the advantages the IS has over the Clans

Jellico

• Spatium Magister
  • Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • BattleMechs are the lords of the battlefield
« Reply #328 on: 25 March 2015, 18:35:53 »
They way we spread ECM around the Record Sheets...

WarGod

• Lieutenant
« Reply #329 on: 25 March 2015, 21:51:11 »
They way we spread ECM around the Record Sheets...

we can't have C3 then nobody can.  now onto bigger ECMS
A knight in shining armor is a man who has never had his metal truly tested
You're falling through the air in a Grenadier. Style went out the window long before you did.