Author Topic: Upcoming Releases XXI: Urbie's Beer Run  (Read 141757 times)

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
Re: Upcoming Releases XXI: Urbie's Beer Run
« Reply #780 on: 24 October 2021, 16:59:07 »
Over half done now 16/30

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

TheoLehman

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #781 on: 24 October 2021, 19:23:52 »
Her parents named her Katana; I feel the deck was stacked against her from the start.
I'm with you there, Katana's parents set her on a path.

Flaresnake

• Master Sergeant
  • The Star League is Eternal
« Reply #782 on: 25 October 2021, 00:18:53 »
Her parents named her Katana; I feel the deck was stacked against her from the start.

wasn't it a nickname for Katrina.
"I'm not a warrior, I'm a soldier. There's a difference. Warriors attack and conquer, they prey on the weak. Soldiers defend and protect the innocent—usually from warriors."-Carth Onasi

Karasu

• Mecharcheologist by appointment
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #783 on: 25 October 2021, 04:35:19 »
wasn't it a nickname for Katrina.

As far as meaningful names to Inner Sphere nobility go, I'm not sure that's an improvement...

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Fight for something or Die for nothing
    • The Steel-Raven at DeviantArt
« Reply #784 on: 25 October 2021, 09:38:38 »
The fact we only know Katana as Katana means she is still the woman named sword regardless. Not out of place in the BTU, honestly surprised I haven't read up on a character named Claymore or Rapier as of yet.

Battletech Art and Commissions
http://steel-raven.deviantart.com

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #785 on: 25 October 2021, 10:06:41 »
The fact we only know Katana as Katana means she is still the woman named sword regardless. Not out of place in the BTU, honestly surprised I haven't read up on a character named Claymore or Rapier as of yet.

Claymore would make a sweet Bloodhouse!
Playing Guitar On My YouTube Channel:
Current cover tune: "The Wind Cries Mary" (by Jimi Hendrix)
https://youtu.be/m6a8wZiCsjM?si=0w7tVOgk7yylNv6a

"Thou shalt not create a machine in the image of the human mind." ~ The Orange Catholic Bible, Dune, Frank Herbert

Kerfuffin(925)

• Major
« Reply #786 on: 25 October 2021, 10:15:21 »
Did we see the cover of 20?

We did. It’s the Warhawk.
« Last Edit: 25 October 2021, 10:16:59 by Kerfuffin(925) »
NCKestrel’s new favorite.

GuyIncognito

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #787 on: 25 October 2021, 10:56:33 »
Excelente. Still hoping for it to be a Scorpion Empire production line, although I know that's not a popular option with the restrictions on IS usage it presents.

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #788 on: 25 October 2021, 13:05:55 »
Excelente. Still hoping for it to be a Scorpion Empire production line, although I know that's not a popular option with the restrictions on IS usage it presents.
Feels a bit high tech for the Scorps.
I don't mind Scorps getting it, as long as there's Inner Sphere source as well (i don't play Scorps but i really like the Warhawk).
And maybe some Inner Sphere factions could get their hands on them as well...

five_corparty

• Lieutenant
« Reply #789 on: 25 October 2021, 21:06:08 »
Just got my support deck, and, what a really cool, easy to use product.

I know not everyone likes them or thinks they're needed, but for me, this is pretty cool.  :) :thumbsup:

Kerfuffin(925)

• Major
« Reply #790 on: 25 October 2021, 21:07:00 »
Feels a bit high tech for the Scorps.
I don't mind Scorps getting it, as long as there's Inner Sphere source as well (i don't play Scorps but i really like the Warhawk).
And maybe some Inner Sphere factions could get their hands on them as well...

I don’t think there is a clan Omni that’s been rehashed from the initial invasion that aren’t faction locked.
NCKestrel’s new favorite.

Carbon Elasmobranch

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #791 on: 25 October 2021, 21:12:15 »
Claymore would make a sweet Bloodhouse!

Except that there are a number of different ways to construct her name with kanji - and it's a fairly commonplace name, too.

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Fight for something or Die for nothing
    • The Steel-Raven at DeviantArt
« Reply #792 on: 25 October 2021, 22:50:03 »
Except that there are a number of different ways to construct her name with kanji - and it's a fairly commonplace name, too.

Learned something new, thanks
Battletech Art and Commissions
http://steel-raven.deviantart.com

MarauderD

• Major
« Reply #793 on: 27 October 2021, 10:26:22 »
Warhawk on Friday!  Squeeee noises intensify!

Geg

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
    • Jade Corsair
« Reply #794 on: 27 October 2021, 12:52:14 »
Warhawk on Friday!  Squeeee noises intensify!

Also the last Friday of October.   Tamar will be rising soon!  (maybe...  I hope...)

Tyrant

• Sergeant
« Reply #795 on: 27 October 2021, 16:33:42 »
I said ages ago somewhere in the miniatures section that CGL should do a plastic Mech Kickstarter, and some people poo-pooed me for it, and some said it wouldn't work...

...I've said it before and I'll say it again. CGL would be crazy not to run another Battletech Kickstarter...and another after that, and the sooner the better to ride the wave of hype from the first Kickstarter.

They should have all the artwork and 3D models and renders being done by the same crew.

They should have pro-painters paint up the 3D printed pre-production models to a very high standard.

They should make new TRO's with all the new artwork, in full colour, even if they are just digital versions.

...and then show all that off during the Kickstarter, this kind of stuff drives miniature collectors and most gamers nuts, and very quickly relieves them of any spare cash they have. They should also do the same thing they did with the first Kickstarter, and have a really long Pledge Manager period to capture and rake in a heap more cash.
Agreed with most of this (are any of the current TROs in color?). I assume they are planning another KS after this one. I have defended the idea of Facebook. Not to go down that rabbit hole, but there are one or two concerns that I have seen that I do agree with. You address one, being ready at the start. The other is taking the time to do a thorough review of what worked and what didn't with the current KS and applying that to the next one. I assume they will, but I understand people being a little nervous about it. Taking those two points together, I am not sure the next one would have as much stuff (on every front) and probably won't be allowed to exponentially expand like this one seemed to.
For this KS, they should focus on;

1 - Some Mechs they didn't cover in the first KS,

2 - Alternate sculpts for some of the most popular Mechs from the first KS,

3 - Most popular armoured vehicles,

4 - Most popular aircraft,

5 - Gnome or Golem BA and a couple of different types of IS BA, and

6 - Terrain would be cool but not as popular because people use different hex sizes.
I like most of that. I would expect them to move forward in the timeline and not just fill in the gaps from this one and use alternate sculpts.
...and I said this before too, they should very seriously consider getting their own plastic mold injection machine so they can make their own stuff in-house...you don't have to worry about what China ends up doing then, and don't have to rely on hem. There was a Kickstarter a couple of years ago where a US company, as part of their Kickstarter, did exactly this and ended up making all their own hard plastic injection models in-house. There's a big market for plastic Mechs, Armoured Vehicles, Battle Armour, Aircraft and alternate Mech parts for conversions...and when they weren't making stuff for themselves, they could use the machine to take on other work, both gaming and non-gaming industry related to keep the profits rolling in.
This would be nice. I do wonder what the breaking point for more companies to start seriously looking into this will be.

DarkSpade

• Major
« Reply #796 on: 27 October 2021, 17:15:23 »
I'd like to see future kickstarters be smaller honestly.   Faster turn around that way.

Maybe a short list of stretch goals for the excitement and some merch add-ons that are possibly impractical to keep full time in the shop.  Things like shirts for less popular factions.   If they hit some big cash amount again, they could always use it to fund more stuff in between kickstarters.  Just don't do them so often that shops start questioning whether or not to bother carrying the line because everyone just does the kickstarters.
Space Marines are guys who look at a chainsaw and think, “That should be balanced for parrying.”

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #797 on: 27 October 2021, 17:34:59 »
I'd dearly love it if Spotlight On: Hellion Keshik came out this Friday.

Not holding my breath, just hoping.

"Thou shalt not create a machine in the image of the human mind." ~ The Orange Catholic Bible, Dune, Frank Herbert

GRUD

• Captain
  • Quinn's Quads - 'Mechs on the March!
« Reply #798 on: 27 October 2021, 20:44:37 »
Taking those two points together, I am not sure the next one would have as much stuff (on every front) and probably won't be allowed to exponentially expand like this one seemed to. I like most of that. I would expect them to move forward in the timeline and not just fill in the gaps from this one and use alternate sculpts. This would be nice. I do wonder what the breaking point for more companies to start seriously looking into this will be.
I think something that shot them in the foot was allowing the "Canon Character Buy In" AFTER the Campaign was over.  it should have ONLY been part of one of the higher levels of the Campaign itself, and NOT also as an Add-On later.   :-\  I wonder how many hundreds (or Thousands?) of hours they had to devote to that alone?   :o
To me, Repros are 100% Wrong, and there's NO  room for me to give ground on this subject. I'm not just an Immovable Object on this, I'm THE Immovable Object. 3D Prints are just 3D Repros.

Something to bear in Mind. Defending the BT IP is Frowned upon here.

Remember: Humor is NOT Tolerated here. Have a Nice Day!

Hey! Can't a guy get any Privacy around here!

Orwell84

• Lieutenant
« Reply #799 on: 27 October 2021, 21:11:50 »
I'd dearly love it if Spotlight On: Hellion Keshik came out this Friday.

Not holding my breath, just hoping.

Likewise. If we're lucky we'll get Hellion Keshik this Saturday and Tamar Rising next week (that'll be an off-week for Rec Guides, right?)
All Clan totems are equal but some are more equal than others.

"The Succession Wars solved no problem. Their effects, both immediate and indirect, were either negative or disastrous. Morally subversive, economically destructive, socially degrading, confused in their causes, devious in their course, futile in their results, they are the outstanding example in Spheroid history of meaningless conflict."
The Third Star League's view of the Succession Wars, plagiarised from an ancient Terran historian's judgement of the Thirty Years War.

Tyrant

• Sergeant
« Reply #800 on: 27 October 2021, 21:32:12 »
I'd like to see future kickstarters be smaller honestly.   Faster turn around that way.

Maybe a short list of stretch goals for the excitement and some merch add-ons that are possibly impractical to keep full time in the shop.  Things like shirts for less popular factions.   If they hit some big cash amount again, they could always use it to fund more stuff in between kickstarters.  Just don't do them so often that shops start questioning whether or not to bother carrying the line because everyone just does the kickstarters.
While I agree that something a little smaller is probably a better idea, I think (speculation on my part, to be clear) that the sheer number of available packs (lances/stars/lvlIIs) likely did drive some of the sales. The balancing act is trying to figure out how much and from there figuring out how much they can scale it back.

But that should be after the current batch has had time to sell at least one round (I would think a few would be better, if possible given current conditions) through retail to help solidify the current gains, sort out any issues, and build interest in the next round. To also address your last point, if they are willing (and there appears to be a market), they could offer rebuilt sets (reconfiguring which mechs are in the sets to align with different interests, like by factions, for instance) or sets like the Wolf's Dragoons set with a new mech or two exclusively at retail outside of the kickstarters. Not right after, that would alienate the KS folks. But after they have been out for a bit. That would help drive retail sales between kickstarters.
I think something that shot them in the foot was allowing the "Canon Character Buy In" AFTER the Campaign was over.  it should have ONLY been part of one of the higher levels of the Campaign itself, and NOT also as an Add-On later.   :-\  I wonder how many hundreds (or Thousands?) of hours they had to devote to that alone?   :o
I have to imagine "canon characters" is filed under "lessons learned" at this point. I wouldn't think they will offer those again.

ShroudedSciuridae

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #801 on: 27 October 2021, 22:50:18 »
Founding of the Clans part 2, Visions of Rebirth just dropped.

Even though it's supposed to be free for KS backers I threw $6 at it because I really want to read it now.
"Assassinating" the Clan commander's goldfish is hardly the stuff of legend.

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #802 on: 27 October 2021, 22:53:10 »

looks like the early clan period gets its own icon

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

Nibs

• Captain
« Reply #803 on: 27 October 2021, 22:59:18 »
I love the art. Exterminators look great and the artist used it to its fullest.  :thumbsup:

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #804 on: 27 October 2021, 23:19:28 »
Can't wait to get this one!

Fat Guy

• Major
  • I make beer disappear. What's your superpower?
« Reply #805 on: 27 October 2021, 23:20:48 »
Founding of the Clans part 2, Visions of Rebirth just dropped.

Even though it's supposed to be free for KS backers I threw $6 at it because I really want to read it now.

So much for backers getting it two weeks early.   

This pisses me off! >:(
I have spoken.

Valkerie

• Captain
  • Gravity always wins.
« Reply #806 on: 27 October 2021, 23:49:17 »

Yeah, looks like that's out the window.  While I prefer DTF, it should have come out to the backers first.
There is no avoiding war; it can only be postponed to the advantage of others.   -Machiavelli

Greetings, Mechwarrior!  You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the frontier against...Oops, wrong universe.  -unknown SLDF Recruiter

Because overkill is underrated my friend.  -John "Hannibal" Smith

Unit/Scheme of the Month Master Index

GRUD

• Captain
  • Quinn's Quads - 'Mechs on the March!
« Reply #807 on: 28 October 2021, 01:21:46 »

Regarding the turnaround, it isn't like CGL could've predicted the Global Shipping Issue that occurred.  Also didn't help that the Chinese manufacturers Flat Out LIED to them.  They told CGL, get "X" done by "Y" Deadline, and it could be Finished before Chinese New Year.  After working like mad, CGL BEAT the "Deadline" by a few weeks it sounds like, only to be told, "Hah Ha! Thanks for your money, but No, you still get it after Chinese New Year. Psyche!", or words to that effect.   xp

As for the game stores choosing to stock BT or not, I've seen posts all over where people said their local store said, "BattleTech? That's dead!", and refused to stock BT Products.  I've also seen numerous posts where people hadn't even heard of the KS, so they missed it entirely.  There's always going to be some of those people.   :thumbsup:  I've seen posts where people missed out on the KS, but their local store got product in, so they were able to get it that way.  It SEEMS like, stores that Choose not to carry BT Products do so for "Whatever" Reason/Excuse.   :-\

Where I live, there's a constant string of Game Stores opening and closing.  They last anywhere from 6 months to 3, Maybe 4 years, then they're gone.  They stock CCGs, D&D (Version Whatever), and sometimes comic books.  That it.   xp  It's been like that since at least 2000.  The CLOSEST store to me that Might stock BT Products is about 2 hours, ONE way.  I haven't been there since 2001, and they've since moved locations, so I don't know What they stock anymore.  Between them having some locally-made Repros for sale the last time I was there, and me not having a Group to game with, I haven't been back.
To me, Repros are 100% Wrong, and there's NO  room for me to give ground on this subject. I'm not just an Immovable Object on this, I'm THE Immovable Object. 3D Prints are just 3D Repros.

Something to bear in Mind. Defending the BT IP is Frowned upon here.

Remember: Humor is NOT Tolerated here. Have a Nice Day!

Hey! Can't a guy get any Privacy around here!

ShroudedSciuridae

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #808 on: 28 October 2021, 06:00:59 »

I'm not aware of anything that said we got this early. We were supposed to get the link free and while it would have been preferable to have that email come out as the product dropped on the website, whatever, it's $6. I look at it as buying Randall a round of his preferred drink for finally pushing this out in English.
"Assassinating" the Clan commander's goldfish is hardly the stuff of legend.

Fat Guy

• Major
  • I make beer disappear. What's your superpower?
« Reply #809 on: 28 October 2021, 06:40:38 »
I'm not aware of anything that said we got this early.

Update 175.
I have spoken.

Register