Author Topic: Clan Jade Falcon III: Admittedly, We May Have Falconed a Little Too Hard  (Read 114056 times)

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • Need a hand?
So, putting together a scenario based on the Operation STAMPEDE assault on Sudeten and I'm thinking about what units to use for the Falcons.  I'm aiming for a binary v binary with no BV limit (I typically design scenarios by building a force for one side, then determining what the BV of that force is and using that to build the force for the other side).  So far, I'm planning a Turkina C, a Flamberge of some type, probably Prime or A, a Gyrfalcon, a point of Ironhold (Fire Resistant), an a vehicle point consisting of a Demolisher (Clan) and an LRM Carrier C.  It's going to be a city fight and some of the Falcon forces will be deployed via Hidden Unit rules.  Got suggestions?  I don't want to make things too top-heavy.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Crimson Dynamo

• Lieutenant
  • Opening hearts, minds, and throats since 2807
How about a couple Chalupas given their popularity/availability with the Watch and police sub-caste? Some Hetzer Cs for urban action flavor? A Kraken 4 for 'get rekt' flavor? A Loki mk II? Maybe something like a Battle Cobra Prime or A or Black Lanner C, D, or F to help deal with the Protos and BA I assume any Horses force would have? Also, some Elementals (Fire), Stormbirds, or Salamanders.
"Well, I do, Marcus, and rule number one of the MAC has always been that the man with the plan leads. If we get shot up, I'm the first one to get my ticket punched. There are no flags in the MAC."
"And there never will be," Barton said, nodding his head in agreement.

"You guys are facing a freaking Shadow Division! These guys have strict policies against playing fair!"

"I don’t care. Kill them. I planned the defense so I know it will work. If they claim otherwise, they’re cowards. Any step back is a betrayal of me, and saying they don’t have enough men is just an excuse for incompetence and disloyalty. Tell the Krypteia to do it if you’re too soft but get it done." -Emperor Stefan Ukris Amaris I

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • Need a hand?
I definitely want another point of BA, two would be nice.  Stormbird and Fire Elementals are both options.  Loki Mk II was something I was seriously considering (either the A or one of the Rec Guide configs).  A Battle Cobra sounds good.  Not planning to have any protos on the Horse side since nobody in the play group actually likes running them and we're bad enough running vees and BA.  Hetzer C goes into the "maybe" category.  Kraken is unlikely, would prefer to run this less assault-heavy than my group's games tend to be, only reason I'm putting the Turkina in there is because I have the mini painted (plus I like it).  Any recommendations for which Flamberge variant to use?  I'm open to anything but the C, though I was mostly waffling between the Prime or A (the A's large amount of SRMs means I can play Disco Inferno while shooting Horse units with Inferno SRMs because my sense of humor is extremely juvenile).

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

Crimson Dynamo

• Lieutenant
The A is fun, especially if you're already inclined to 'all the infernos.' I guess I've been sleeping on the later Flamberge variants, cause I really, really like the sounds of the Flam 2. The Flam 3 I know I've never heard of before today, as a 4/6/7 UAC/20 is hard to forget. Also, the Summoner J is apparently a thing, 5/8/5 HAG/40 with a probe and x2 iHMLs? Yessir! The Flam D sounds like it could be fun too. Personally, my pick would be dependent on if a Hel made it into the Binary, and what variant, as I'd likely have those two working in tandem as a counterpoint to the Turkina.
"Well, I do, Marcus, and rule number one of the MAC has always been that the man with the plan leads. If we get shot up, I'm the first one to get my ticket punched. There are no flags in the MAC."

"You guys are facing a freaking Shadow Division! These guys have strict policies against playing fair!"

"I don’t care. Kill them. I planned the defense so I know it will work. If they claim otherwise, they’re cowards. Any step back is a betrayal of me, and saying they don’t have enough men is just an excuse for incompetence and disloyalty. Tell the Krypteia to do it if you’re too soft but get it done." -Emperor Stefan Ukris Amaris I

BrianDavion

• Captain
So looking at what's made of Sudeten the following equipment is made there:

Battle Armor:

Afreet
Salamander
Ironhold

Mechs:
Cougar XR (My gut says this wasn't actually produced in numbers and was a test bed)
Eyrie
Locust IIC
Shadowcat II
Gyrfalcon
Thunderbolt IIC
Bane (Kraken)
Marauder IIC

Omnimechs:

Fire Falcon
Black Lanner
Nova
Flambarge
Grand Summoner (we know the Sudeten factory had a summoner line, we also know the summoner was essentially hased out by the falcons for the grand summoner, thus you can make a case for a Grand Summoner factory on Sudeten)
Hellbringer
Hel
Turkina

Vehicles:

Heuy
Demolisher
Nacon
Gurzil

So using that list of stuff they'd have on hand, I'd suggest the following Binary:

Alpha Star: Turkina C Marauder IIC, Gyr Falcon, Ironhold point, your demolisher and LRM carrier point (or swap out the LRM carrier for a Gurzil if you want something a little differant that is produced on site)

Beta Star: Black Lanner, Nova, 2 points of elementals Flamberg, Shrike (or if you're feeling spicy a jade Pheonix)

The Suns will shine again

MarauderD

• Major
Hail Falcon Experts!  I'd like to call on your expertise.

IlClan era/post Battle of Terra.  The Alpha Strike Box Set has some fiction and art featuring Jade Falcons with a yellow paint scheme with Green and red trim calling themselves Golden Talons.  I realize that units and galaxies may be remade in the new era, so I'll take any answer with a grain of salt.

Is there any record of a Jade Falcon "Golden Talon" Cluster, and if so, which galaxy is/was it in?  I'm not finding it.

Cheers,

Weirdo

• Painter of Borth the Magic Puma
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major General
  • We can do it. We have to.
    • Christina Dickinson Writes
FM: Crusader Clans: Epsilon Galaxy, 5th Battle Cluster. Though going by the box set art, they seem to have moved to Lambda Galaxy at some point.
My wife writes books

Sixteen tons means sixteen suits. CT must be repaired.

"Damn you, Weirdo... Damn you for being right!" - Paul

MarauderD

• Major
Thank you!  Now we need some ilClan fiction or sourcebook to flush out if there are still Falcon Galaxies, or we are just talking about a Cluster here or there.  Seems like it would be the latter after Terra, but who knows. 

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • Need a hand?
There's some info in Tamar Rising, as well as Without Question on the Remnant Falcons.  IlKhan's Eyes Only should have info on the Terran Falcons.

Khalus Pryde

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Private
  • saKhan of Clan Jade Falcon (Terra)
ilKhan's Eyes Only will almost certainly have information on the Terran Falcons. We just have to wait and see what that information will be.
"I am the blood of Aidan Pryde. My loyalty to Clan Jade Falcon is above reproach."
Khalus Pryde, Hour of the Wolf, pp. 273

Church14

• Lieutenant
Thank you!  Now we need some ilClan fiction or sourcebook to flush out if there are still Falcon Galaxies, or we are just talking about a Cluster here or there.  Seems like it would be the latter after Terra, but who knows.
I think ilclan says 128 Falcon warriors left on Terra. Which, depending one what types of warriors survived, is between 1 oversized cluster and 3 understrength clusters.

How much can falcons recruit has been a debate on here, but I feel safe saying there won’t be galaxies of Terran Falcons.

Alan Grant

• Captain
Alaric tried to invoke the idea of the Falcons being akin to the new Royal Black Watch. Even if they only loosely hold to that, I could see the Falcons staying small for a while, and that might be a good thing if they spend some time refocusing on a new sense of Falcon identity post-Malvina.

I don't want to say the Falcons need a spiritual retreat. But I almost do want to say that, if that makes any sense. A little time spent small, sorting out their new identity, sense of purpose, affirming/reaffirming how they'll behave on and off the battlefield. Not to mention working on their skills as warriors.

If the Falcons came out of this better than ever, with a reputation, warrior for warrior, as being among the best, but small for a while, I'll be happy with that and I could see that being a good contrast to some of Alaric's other forces, which might focus more on growth than building elite units.

Crimson Dynamo

• Lieutenant
If the Falcons came out of this better than ever, with a reputation, warrior for warrior, as being among the best, but small for a while, I'll be happy with that and I could see that being a good contrast to some of Alaric's other forces, which might focus more on growth than building elite units.

I believe/hope they'll be in severe competition with the reborn Smoke Jaguars on those counts, both sharpening the other and rebuilding some of the rapport that existed between the two prior to REVIVAL. 

Weirdo

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major General
I believe/hope they'll be in severe competition with the reborn Smoke Jaguars on those counts, both sharpening the other and rebuilding some of the rapport that existed between the two prior to REVIVAL.

My mental image of this is less two armies sharpening against each other in war games, and more two gangs of street toughs beating each other to a pulp, while the mafioso who has been supporting both(Alaric) watches and wonders what deniable tasks he's gonna assign to the (expendable) survivors.
My wife writes books

Crimson Dynamo

• Lieutenant
My mental image of this is less two armies sharpening against each other in war games, and more two gangs of street toughs beating each other to a pulp, while the mafioso who has been supporting both(Alaric) watches and wonders what deniable tasks he's gonna assign to the (expendable) survivors.

I wouldn't be surprised if that's exactly how Alaric sees it and is close to the reality of it, but it wouldn't be how the Falcons and Jaguars see it for themselves, who will hopefully be making moves of their own to try and ensure they don't get hung out to dry. I seem to recall some preview or mention that there is going to be some early discord with the Jaguars and their non-voting status in IKEO, and I'm hoping that gets sorted with the Falcons' help as both have to be painfully aware of their standing next to Clan Wolf.

Metallgewitter

• Captain
Don't forget that Tara Campbell is part of the remaining Falcons now. Should the Falcons begin to become Clan Warcrime again she will act. Like she threatend the new Falcon Khan with basically death should she go against Tara's ideals. And this is no light threat coming from the Mechwarrior who bested the Ilkhan. I would rather want to know how this small band of Falcons can actually get any reinforcements. Like the Wolves the Falcons have no reserves in form of "pure" Clanners. The coming battle will wittle their numbers down as well. Won't probably take long and the glorified Black Watch is hovering below Cluster strength (unless they recruit IS soldiers or other Clanners into their ranks, further dilltuing their Falcon heritage). This will probably the main theme all along: the remaining Clans won't be much Clan after all is said and done
« Last Edit: 20 August 2024, 05:45:58 by Metallgewitter »

MarauderD

• Major
ilKhan's Eyes Only will almost certainly have information on the Terran Falcons. We just have to wait and see what that information will be.

Well, here's hoping we get the Terran Falcons fleshed out with a nice section about the unit(s) and formations.  I already find the AML and Jiyi Chistu's Falcons to be really engaging, so if we just get some nice tidbits on the 3rd Star League Falcons, I'd be really happy.  I don't love the paint scheme, but at least it isn't as difficult as the AML!

Church14

• Lieutenant
Well, here's hoping we get the Terran Falcons fleshed out with a nice section about the unit(s) and formations.  I already find the AML and Jiyi Chistu's Falcons to be really engaging, so if we just get some nice tidbits on the 3rd Star League Falcons, I'd be really happy.  I don't love the paint scheme, but at least it isn't as difficult as the AML!
Each sourcebook has had progressively more unit profiles. From 11 to 15 to 17. Even when DD only has three main factions to cover and Taurians, it went up to 17. And iKEO will cover a lot (Wolf, Falcon, nuJag, Fox, Raven, CapCon, Hegemony IIC, plus at least the NWH, maybe MAC). I'm hoping for a lot of unit profiles. Seems like smaller militaries get their premier unit, and major ones get 3-5

My guess? We'll get just the main Jade Falcon ilClan cluster. Some Elite/Fanatical cluster heavy on the mechs. (I'm assuming salvage of mechs is easier than BA/ASF). Maybe a second cluster gets detailed if falcons run a couple lean clusters instead of 1 full strength one.

Techpriest3052

• Recruit
What's everyone's thoughts on the 'Free Zone' name? I think it might have been better to just call it the 'Oversight' or 'Defense' zone if you wanted to change the name up. The Jade Falcon Free Zone makes it sound like there aren't any Jade Falcons there.

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
Sounds like a great place to pick up discount Toblerone and vodka.
"We have made of New Avalon a towering funeral pyre and wiped the Davion scourge from the universe.  Tikonov, Chesterton and Andurien are ours once more, and the cheers of the Capellan people nearly drown out the gnashing of our foes' teeth as they throw down their weapons in despair.  Now I am made First Lord of the Star League, and all shall bow down to me and pay homa...oooooo! Shiny thing!" - Maximillian Liao, "My Triumph", audio dictation, 3030.  Unpublished.

Techpriest3052

• Recruit
Perhaps adidas track suits and cheap cigarettes. I get the feeling of the Hinterlands being the Space Balkans now with everyone out to settle old scores and grudges. Also because I'm imagining Jade Falcon versions of 90's Yugoslav War pop songs and giggling. "Jade Falcon Artillery is Guided By Turkina", etc.

BrianDavion

• Captain
Don't forget that Tara Campbell is part of the remaining Falcons now. Should the Falcons begin to become Clan Warcrime again she will act. Like she threatend the new Falcon Khan with basically death should she go against Tara's ideals. And this is no light threat coming from the Mechwarrior who bested the Ilkhan. I would rather want to know how this small band of Falcons can actually get any reinforcements. Like the Wolves the Falcons have no reserves in form of "pure" Clanners. The coming battle will wittle their numbers down as well. Won't probably take long and the glorified Black Watch is hovering below Cluster strength (unless they recruit IS soldiers or other Clanners into their ranks, further dilltuing their Falcon heritage). This will probably the main theme all along: the remaining Clans won't be much Clan after all is said and done

the universe book confirms they have no ironwombs or genetic material and are going to need to strike deals to get their breeding program up again. reading between the lines I think we're going to see a pretty major divergance between the two jade falcon clans given eneugh time, as I suspect both are going to be forced to create new bloodhouses and some (hell in the case of Jiyi's potentially all) orginal blood houses will be gone, creating a situation where despite having the same name, the two clans cultures blood houses etc are completely differant.
The Suns will shine again

Weirdo

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major General
It would go extremely against type, but I do hope they manage either an amicable reunification or a non hostile recognition of each other's existence.

Something closer to the split that created the New Avalon Church, as opposed to say, the one that created the WoB.

Like I said, I'm aware this would be extremely against type for any Clan, much less these folks. Mongols may no longer be in charge, but we're still talking about Jade Falcons.
My wife writes books

Metallgewitter

• Captain
The question will be how long the "Exile-Falcons" can actually survive. Yes they have some breathing space thanks to the Horses having just exchanged their leaders and the Lyrans being busy breaking their realm apart. But this is just a strategic pause. What will stop the Horses from coming back for revenge? Or if Trilian decided to make an example of the Falcons and sending the Ygdrassil to Sudeten and bomb the planet to oblivion?

I think the main question will be how long it will take the Clan Star League to push back the Capellans and how much damage will they take in the process. If they loose even more bloodnamed warriors who is gonna be the replacement? If worst coems to worst the Falcons might end like the Jaguars after the fall of Huntress: a Kahn with perhaps a small bodyguard. Or a handful of Falcons sourrounded by Terrans or other Clanners. Basically loosing their Falcon identiy and becoming a "true" Blackwatch

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • Need a hand?
I think that Trillian isn't going to order any sort of military offensive into the former Falcon Occupation Zone because that would require her to actually take action on something.  And also, she wouldn't want to send the Ygdassil out because she has no idea what's happening on Terra and is keeping her forces pointed in that direction.

Bren

• Warrant Officer
What's everyone's thoughts on the 'Free Zone' name? I think it might have been better to just call it the 'Oversight' or 'Defense' zone if you wanted to change the name up. The Jade Falcon Free Zone makes it sound like there aren't any Jade Falcons there.

I agree. I think it's a silly name.

I don't think there needs to be anything further for the Clan areas other than their name. Really, they stopped being 'occupation zones' in the 3070s ...

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • Need a hand?
I think it still fit for the Falcons and Wolves, who never really did a great job integrating into the planets they claimed.

Tyler Jorgensson

• Captain
I’m interested in seeing the relationship between the Arc-Royals and Jiyi’s Falcons. Obviously the ARDC is on a murder Malvina/ Mongols rampage… but Jiyi (and also by extent the AML) are DEFINITELY not Malvina. So how they go up against each other and how they interact with the former Falcons will be really interesting.

I agree. I think it's a silly name.

I don't think there needs to be anything further for the Clan areas other than their name. Really, they stopped being 'occupation zones' in the 3070s ...

All I could think of was Monty Pythons Quest for the Holy Grail when they arrive at Camelot ‘‘tis a silly place’.

JAMES_PRYDE

• Lieutenant
  • Stephanie & Jiyi Chistu "Restoring Honor to CJF !"
    • Clan Jade Falcon:  SWTOR
Clan Jade Falcon Space, Jade Hegemony ? (As the planets in the new zone are more "free and happy")

As suggested on this forum, The Hinterlands develops its own identity as a council of all the different states further into ilClan ?

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
The Malthus Confederation would be very interested in the use of the term 'Free Zone.'

Per the original Lyran sourcebook, many Lyran worlds designated certain areas as "Free Zones," where no laws applied and criminal activity could proceed unhindered.  The Malthus Syndicate made comfortable homes in the Free Zones. 

(The argument had been that this sort of zoning would incentivize current criminals to relocate, leaving law-abiding people to go about their business in peace.  It didn't make any sense at all, because what muggers and drug dealers will want to move to a "free zone" while their victims/clients remain in their crime-free cities?  My theory is that the Free Zone legislation was pushed as an "anti-crime" measure to get broad political support, but in actuality, the zones were envisioned and supported by Lyran merchants, who liked the idea of zones with no taxes, regulatory oversight, or pesky human rights to drag down the bottom line.)
"We have made of New Avalon a towering funeral pyre and wiped the Davion scourge from the universe.  Tikonov, Chesterton and Andurien are ours once more, and the cheers of the Capellan people nearly drown out the gnashing of our foes' teeth as they throw down their weapons in despair.  Now I am made First Lord of the Star League, and all shall bow down to me and pay homa...oooooo! Shiny thing!" - Maximillian Liao, "My Triumph", audio dictation, 3030.  Unpublished.

Register