Author Topic: Aviation Pictures: A-Seven-th Thread--CorsAirin' Through Time and Airspace  (Read 37995 times)

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
I never realized they tried canards on the F-4... nice find! :)

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • It's a gator with a nuke, whats the problem.
That F4 with the  Canards looks pretty cool. Way better than the F15 with the Canards.
Walking the fine line between sarcasm and being a smart-ass

Crimson Dynamo

• Lieutenant
  • Opening hearts, minds, and throats since 2807
Good sirs, I used to have bookmarked a website full of colored images of various fighting aircraft from all over the world, organized by country and era, from examples of Sopwith Camels to Su-57s. I lost track of it after a harddrive crash and my Google-fu is weak. It was a Russian web domain IIRC. See attached image for example of the style of images. Anyone this site or at least one like it? Thanks!
"Well, I do, Marcus, and rule number one of the MAC has always been that the man with the plan leads. If we get shot up, I'm the first one to get my ticket punched. There are no flags in the MAC."
"And there never will be," Barton said, nodding his head in agreement.

"You guys are facing a freaking Shadow Division! These guys have strict policies against playing fair!"

"I don’t care. Kill them. I planned the defense so I know it will work. If they claim otherwise, they’re cowards. Any step back is a betrayal of me, and saying they don’t have enough men is just an excuse for incompetence and disloyalty. Tell the Krypteia to do it if you’re too soft but get it done." -Emperor Stefan Ukris Amaris I

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
Ah, the YF-4E. One of so many intriguing Phantom developments that never were. At least the F-15 was a good successor.

And the Vought V-507?? Okay, the missiles look Tornado, but the plane screams Mirage Mirage F-1 to me.
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

chanman

• Major
  • Architect of suffering
Ah, the YF-4E. One of so many intriguing Phantom developments that never were. At least the F-15 was a good successor.

And the Vought V-507?? Okay, the missiles look Tornado, but the plane screams Mirage Mirage F-1 to me.

Naw, the size is a big thing. F1s are small planes. The tall single tail, high-mount swing-wing, razorback two-seat cockpit, and stub radome all look very Tornado-esque to me with the most obvious difference (and most unique detail) being the extreme anhedral of the stabilators

chanman

• Major
  • Architect of suffering
One of the dwindling J-7 'Fishcan' (has a separate reporting name than the MiG-21)  still in service. Unguided rockets always make for dramatic photos

NATO jets in Europe would have likely relied heavily on them for ground attack missions through the 80s. Look through period footage of Hornets and Vipers, and most ground attack stores are going to be unguided bombs and rockets.

CF-104, CF-5, CF-18 firing CRV7 rockets

The ultimate hot shot. F-106 firing an AIR-2 Genie
« Last Edit: 30 December 2023, 03:17:10 by chanman »

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
Imgur's saying the first photo isn't available.
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

chanman

• Major
  • Architect of suffering
Imgur's saying the first photo isn't available.

Should be fixed now

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
Much more "fooosh!"  :cheesy:

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
"Foosh" indeed! :D

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
The F106 firing the Genie, is great because it might be the nuke armed one. 

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
The F106 firing the Genie, is great because it might be the nuke armed one.
did they ever do a live fire test with the nuclear version?

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
Plumbob John. Featured in "Trinity and Beyond."

Fat Guy

• Major
  • I make beer disappear. What's your superpower?
B-2 Rose Bowl flyover, from above.

I have spoken.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • Need a hand?
Is that an undoctored picture?  The B-2 looks almost like a digital insertion.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
  • Reimu sees what you have done.
Probably taken by a blimp over the game for the TV network.
Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen,
Tod und Verzweiflung flammet um mich her!
Fühlt nicht durch dich Jadefalke Todesschmerzen,
So bist du meine Tochter nimmermehr!

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
That's possible, but MLO4H isn't wrong... ;)

chanman

• Major
  • Architect of suffering
It's the lighting. Because the photo flattens the depth out of it, the B-2 looks inconsistently lit relative to the rest of the scene.

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
I don't know what the spaceing is. But when a plane flies over, its usually a 1000 feet above the ground, so I wonder how high the Blimp was?

Fat Guy

• Major
  • I make beer disappear. What's your superpower?
Professional photographer in a Cessna 206: https://www.airandspaceforces.com/air-force-b-2-rose-bowl-flyover/

He got it over the parade earlier that day as well.

I have spoken.

Elmoth

• Major
  • Periphery fanboy
Nice shot. I fail to see how that geometry is very stealthy, but then I am a radar ignorant.

phoenixalpha

• Warrant Officer
  • For God, Prince Davion & the Federated Suns
A very wierd (and expensive both cash and engineering time wise) combination of having Radar Absorbing Materials (RAM) which absorb radar energy (well certain wavelengths of radar) and having no flat angles to return a radar signal to its source. The angles deflect any radar waves away from the source so it reduces the detection signature

chanman

• Major
  • Architect of suffering
The fighting in Ukraine makes me think there might be room for the return of light attack helos. Instead of expensive (as in jet fighter expensive) dedicated fast/armoured/sensor-integrated platforms, we're talking about converted light utility/scout machines with a few ATGMs (4-8 seems common) with a sensor ball and a role to provide ATGM overwatch/supplementary night vision over/slightly behind friendly lines.

Might be vulnerable to attacks by FPV drones if they don't move around though. The idea goes back a long ways, and Syrian Gazelles equipped with ye olde AT-3 'Sagger' missiles gave the IDF a nasty surprise back in the early 80s. 6 helos for 30 tanks isn't a bad trade in terms of cost or lives, with the caveat that pilots probably take longer to train than AFV crews. Commercially popular platforms (thousands made in many cases) also helps a lot with maintainability, and also gives the option of expanding a force with airframes off the commercial/used market, or de-militarizing surplus platforms for sale to recoup some costs when downsizing.

South Korean MD500 Defender with a nose sensor ball, and I think 4x TOW

OH-58D showing Hellfire mount

Z-9 (AS365 Dauphin 2 license-produced by Harbin in China) with selection of local ATGMs, gun pods, and rockets

Bulgarian navy Dauphin 2

AS565 Panther variant of the Dauphin 2

2009 AS365 Dauphin 2 fitted for oil & gas work for sale, currently marked at 2 million Euros

Boeing's been marketing a dedicated attack variant. Here's a Saudi one with a pair of Hellfires.

One with a bit-o-everything

Another option in Europe is the French Aérospatiale Gazelle. Light, made into the 90s, saw some decent service and almost 1800 made. Even using Soviet AT-3 Saggers rigged to them, the Syrians managed to cost the IDF a fair number of tanks in the fighting in Syria back in the day.

Killer eggs!

PsihoKekec

• Captain
  • Your spleen, give it to me!
Syrian Gazelles equipped with ye olde AT-3 'Sagger' missiles gave the IDF a nasty surprise back in the early 80s.

Syrian Gazelles used HOT missiles. Malyutka missiles were used on Yugoslavian Gazelles, but there is no record of their use against armour in Yugoslav wars.

« Last Edit: 05 January 2024, 13:10:33 by PsihoKekec »
Shoot first, laugh later.

chanman

• Major
  • Architect of suffering
Syrian Gazelles used HOT missiles. Malyutka missiles were used on Yugoslavian Gazelles, but there is no record of their use against armour in Yugoslav wars.

Got my wires crossed. Seems to be something the Romanians worked on adapting their Alouette IIIs for and nothing to do with the Gazelles

micko

• Recruit
A very wierd (and expensive both cash and engineering time wise) combination of having Radar Absorbing Materials (RAM) which absorb radar energy (well certain wavelengths of radar) and having no flat angles to return a radar signal to its source. The angles deflect any radar waves away from the source so it reduces the detection signature
Stealth is also a matter of perspective.
Most modern stealth designs are really only stealthily from the frontal arc.
The picture illustrates this perfectly.

Looking down it's a large target.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • Need a hand?
Of course, most of the time a stealth aircraft does not need to worry about hostile radar coming from directly above or directly below it.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

phoenixalpha

• Warrant Officer
  • For God, Prince Davion & the Federated Suns
Of course, most of the time a stealth aircraft does not need to worry about hostile radar coming from directly above or directly below it.

If you are a pilot in a stealth aircraft and you are being painted by radar from something directly above or below.... you're in the wrong job.  :cheesy:

Also as to the picture - yes it is a big target, but if you are in the position of being able to visually see a stealth aircraft in combat something has gone wrong somewhere.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin

Is it true that the fuel in the Me-163 would dissolve the pilot if the fuel tank burst? Not dissolve. Set them on fire on contact.

The Me163 “Komet” was powered by a liquid-fueled rocket engine. The original chemistry was actually a catalyzed monopropellant instead of fuel-oxidizer (the difference being that the catalyst isn’t consumed in the reaction, but its presence increases the rate of reaction), and involved the code-named “T-Stoff” (Substance T) and a sodium or potassium permanganate catalyst within the reactor chamber prompting “spontaneous exothermic decomposition” of the fuel.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • Need a hand?
Not only that, but the fuel was also quite toxic and the fuel tank was very prone to leaks and ruptures.

And the reason the Komet had this toxic, highly reactive fuel was to allow it to swiftly accelerate in order to intercept Allied bombers as fast as possible.

Which it did too well, because it flew so fast that in the few times it was successfully scrambled to intercept a bombing run it was very prone to simply overflying its target before it could actually shoot them.