Author Topic: Aviation Pictures: A-Seven-th Thread--CorsAirin' Through Time and Airspace  (Read 36863 times)

Fat Guy

• Major
  • I make beer disappear. What's your superpower?

It was actually acting as a tug, not actually towing.
I have spoken.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
53s are powerful, but not quite THAT powerful... ;)

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
  • Reimu sees what you have done.
Neither is a Citroen C3, but but Clarkson made it happen - even the tiniest of tugs will stack up over time. 
Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen,
Tod und Verzweiflung flammet um mich her!
Fühlt nicht durch dich Jadefalke Todesschmerzen,
So bist du meine Tochter nimmermehr!

chanman

• Major
  • Architect of suffering
You know, the F-16 reminds me of the MiG-21 where all of the additional conformal fuel tanks and avionics spines and external tanks makes it easy to overlook just how slick the original design is when flying clean.

MiG-21 'Bison'

'Lancer'

Early MiG-21F-13 (Vietnam War-era, like the original but with missile capability added)

Failure16

• Captain
  • Better Days
Good article on the differences between the AH-64E and AH-1Z. Other than the recurrence of the term "rotar".   :rolleyes:

Plus, it has pictures!

You know, the F-16 reminds me of the MiG-21 where all of the additional conformal fuel tanks and avionics spines and external tanks makes it easy to overlook just how slick the original design is when flying clean.

You tell the truth, and that second F-16 is a purty beast indeed. But the F-16I has a certain je ne sais quoi:

One with stars and bars, which you don't see every day.
Thought I might get a rocket ride when I was a child.          We are the wild youth,                                And through villages of ether
But it was a lie, that I told myself                                          Chasing visions of our futures.                   Oh, my crucifixion comes
When I needed something good.                                         One day we'll reveal the truth,                    Will you sing my hallelujah?
At 17, I had a better dream; now I'm 33, and it isn't me.      That one will die before he gets there.       Will you tell me when it's done?
But I'd think of something better if I could
                           --E. Tonra                                                      --C. Love
--A. Duritz

Failure16

• Captain
  • Better Days
Something you don't see every day:

UH-60 crashing at Texas A&M in early 2009.

Or an AH-64 going the wrong way:

And a short video of a Sea King crashing upon approach:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDtvvT5xv7Q

Quote from: From the source
This video is from the destroyer USS Cushing, on station in the Northern Arabian Gulf. Miraculously, all seven passengers onboard were recovered. Note how the tail rotor seems to seize or stop during the approach, causing the body of the helicopter to rotate out of control.

Dangerous business, flight ops.
Thought I might get a rocket ride when I was a child.          We are the wild youth,                                And through villages of ether
But it was a lie, that I told myself                                          Chasing visions of our futures.                   Oh, my crucifixion comes
When I needed something good.                                         One day we'll reveal the truth,                    Will you sing my hallelujah?
At 17, I had a better dream; now I'm 33, and it isn't me.      That one will die before he gets there.       Will you tell me when it's done?
--A. Duritz

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
Very true!  Some plat camera footage I saw as it happened, shortly before I went straight to the bridge (they turned off the feed right after it went into the catwalk): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wkH32mf_iVE

chanman

• Major
  • Architect of suffering
Any sailor or pilot who says they aren't afraid of the weather is a damn liar
« Last Edit: 02 December 2023, 21:18:26 by chanman »

PsihoKekec

• Captain
  • Your spleen, give it to me!
Apache pilots shows off in Afghanistan, fortunately there were no casualties.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FguAOoUg3ZY
Shoot first, laugh later.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
Very true!  I lost count of the number of waterspouts I saw off the Virginia Capes.

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
What about the bubbleheads?

chanman

• Major
  • Architect of suffering
Unless they're on final patrol, they gotta surface some time.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMCS_Chicoutimi_(SSK_879)#October_2004_fire

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
I've felt the deck pitch deep under a typhoon, and subs on the surface are very vulnerable to sea state.

nerd

• Captain
  • Nunc Partus-Ready Now
    • Traveller Adventures
What about the bubbleheads?
Unless you can feel it at patrol depth, weather didn't matter much in my experience.

Of course, being in port, 35 F and rainy is the most miserable place I've been.
M. T. Thompson
Don of the Starslayer Mafia
Member of the AFFS High Command

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
35 and rainy is shorts, a windbreaker and scarf for me these days.  The worst I've experienced is dry dock in winter at Groton, CT.  I gave up my rack and retreated to the wardroom (which had a portable heater blowing into it).  The bench wasn't really comfortable, but that little bit of extra heat made ALL the difference...  When the steam's out, boats are COLD.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • Need a hand?
A big mass of metal sitting in cold water?  That makes sense.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
Worse... a big mass of metal sitting in the cold air for weeks on end.

Failure16

• Captain
  • Better Days
It certainly puts all those 19th Century Northwest Passage explorers getting iced-in into perspective. A large mass of wood in even colder weather for months is almost certainly hellish!

No matter what, cold is cold. I feel for you guys. I wouldn't want to be on a boat or ship for a long period regardless of the weather. :wink:
--A. Duritz

Failure16

• Captain
  • Better Days
Rough landings for that COD and Apache both, but eminently worse for the latter. Glad everyone at least survived the paired experiences.
--A. Duritz

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • Need a hand?
It certainly puts all those 19th Century Northwest Passage explorers getting iced-in into perspective. A large mass of wood in even colder weather for months is almost certainly hellish!

No matter what, cold is cold. I feel for you guys. I wouldn't want to be on a boat or ship for a long period regardless of the weather. :wink:

Wood doesn't conduct cold as readily as metal does, but yeah.  Especially since due to the flammability of wooden ships there were typical serious restrictions on fires.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

Failure16

• Captain
  • Better Days
Indeed. The point is, being on a ship in cold weather is probably unfortunate.
--A. Duritz

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
Wood doesn't conduct cold as readily as metal does, but yeah.  Especially since due to the flammability of wooden ships there were typical serious restrictions on fires.
IIRC several of the later ones had steam engines aboard. not to run propulsion, but to generate hot water in the boiler, which would be circulated through pipes around the ship to keep things warm. and to help cook hot beverages and food.

didn't help the Franklin expedition in the long run though.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • Need a hand?
That's because the pipes were lead.

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
So was the canned food.

PsihoKekec

• Captain
  • Your spleen, give it to me!
The lead soldering of the tin cans was exponentially worse than the lead pipes, whose danger is grossly overstated anyway, as lead pipes wouldn't leak more than trace amounts in the lifetime of user and that is not taking into account mineral buildup in the pipes.
Shoot first, laugh later.

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
Lead pipes, and lead solder, weren't the problem. Lead doesn't dissolve easily in water. The problem is mild acids. Consider that the Romans used lead cups to hold wine & drink wine out of, and lead bowls to boil down unfermented grape juice. Both lead to the formation of lead carbonate, which dissolved easily, and had a pleasant sweet taste of its own which the Romans liked.

SO depending on what was in the tin, this may not have been a problem. Early tins weren't tin - they were iron, and rusted, which was bad for the food inside. So they gave it a 'wash' of tin, which prevented rusting - but if you dented the can, this broke the layer, which led to the iron underneath rusting, and the food spoiling. Remember, fellow oldies, being told not to pick dented cans? That's the memory of that.

Cans now are steel (which doesn't rust unless badly made, or badly treated), or aluminium (which doesn't rust due to forming a protective layer of oxide.) Either way, denting a modern can lightly is not a risk.
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
further discussion of it probably belongs in the naval thread, since it has no real relation to aircraft.
link:
https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,83041.msg1978358.html#msg1978358

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster

Something from a news feed I get... thought I share.

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
is cobbling together intact chassis parts from damaged aircraft something normal for the airforce, or is this something they're doing because of the low number of F-35's they currently have in service?

(also.. did they ever find that missing F-35?)

Failure16

• Captain
  • Better Days
It happens more often than you would think, going back to at least WWII, where it was exceedingly commonplace.

The one where the pilot landed and called 911? Sure, they found that one.
--A. Duritz